Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Front feet turned out?

Hi,

We are considering rescuing a Great Pyrenees mix. This would be our first experience with the breed and we are very excited! However, I wanted some outsider opinions on his front feet. He is a young dog, about 12 months. Here is a picture of his legs standing and sitting. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3804.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	8477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3771.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	8478

Do you know if this curvature is normally seen in the breed, or could it be a sign of a health issue? Elbow dysplasia?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

welcome riley...and thanks for considering rescuing this guy

I would watch him walk, and run, watch his front paws closely....does he limp, does his gait look unusual...not fluid?

how is his health otherwise...his demeanor?

depending on what he is mixed with, this could be very normal...

can you take him to a vet to get him checked over & get a professional opinion....

from what little I know & from what I can see in your photos, it looks like he is perfectly happy & healthy

Nancy & Rudy

looked through some photos of Rudy...we've had him since he was a pup & he is one healthy guy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goofy boy.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	8479 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handsome in the snow.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	8480

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Thank you for the advice. We visited him, and fell in love. He is such a great boy! Not to mention absolutely gorgeous. He's a Pyr/Australian Shepherd mix.

He was super mellow and cuddly in the home, so much so that at first I was worried he might be depressed and yes I was worried about his feet...but as soon as we brought him outside he turned into a different dog and ran and played like crazy like the puppy he is. Then inside...he turned into mellow Great Pyrenees again. lol

We are still concerned about health problems down the line, since he was in horrible condition when he was rescued (I have a before picture of him and it's sad...really sad), and did have a few serious health problems, which the rescue paid to treat and he looks like the picture of health now. So we're going to take him to the vet as soon as we get him this weekend to see what they say about the possibility of any problems recurring.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

riley....

Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving this guy a second chance at a caring forever home!!!

Aussie & Pyr....my 2 favorite breeds!!

it will be anyone's guess at what his health may be down the line....but all you can do is care for him the best you are able...

pictures when you get him home please!!!

that's my Rudy the Pyr & Angel the Aussie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angel & Rudy profile.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	8496