Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Am I overthinking the puppy food?

My wife and I are adding a Great Pyr puppy to our family! She will be coming to us in early May. Neither of us have ever had a dog of this magnitude before (pun intended). We are looking at what kind of food to feed our new baby, and after doing a lot of reading I think I have settled on https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Pack-Na...00&sr=8-1&th=1

My only concern is that the calcium content is 1.5%, which I have heard is pretty high for giant breeds. Has anyone used this brand before? Or have any recommendations on a good puppy food, that is in the same price range as this?

We want to give our puppy every chance to be happy and healthy, and are committed to providing the best we can with, within reason (we arent rich). Any other tips for the first few months that you would give us? We arent first time dog owners, but we are first time LARGE dog owners.

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Here is a thread about nutrition for giant breed pups:
    http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...ight=nutrition

You are right to be concerned about calcium content. I haven't refreshed my memory lately but I believe 1.5% is on the high end of acceptable range. So technically it is acceptable. However, the key is you must make sure that your pup is kept on the normal thin side instead of roly poly chunky monkey. The more kibbles a pup eats, the more calcium it takes in, also more calories, all of which promote faster growth, not something you want in a giant breed pup. The Eagle Pack kibbles are rated 4 stars from www.dogfoodadvisor.com so it's a decent food.

I have a 4.5 month old right now. We feed him the Costco brand Kirkland adult formula chicken & rice. That's what his breeder was feeding when we got him so I decided to go with the "if it's ain't broke, why fix it" mentality and kept him on it. The breeder has been breeding for 30 years. The Kirkland kibbles has 1% calcium to 0.8% phosphate ratio. It's like $28 for a 40 lb bag. The Kirkland kibbles are also rated 4 stars on dogadvisor. My pup right now eats about 4.5 cups a day and from the time we got him, he been growing at a very steady rate of 2-3 lbs a week.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Here is a thread about nutrition for giant breed pups:
    http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...ight=nutrition

You are right to be concerned about calcium content. I haven't refreshed my memory lately but I believe 1.5% is on the high end of acceptable range. So technically it is acceptable. However, the key is you must make sure that your pup is kept on the normal thin side instead of roly poly chunky monkey. The more kibbles a pup eats, the more calcium it takes in, also more calories, all of which promote faster growth, not something you want in a giant breed pup. The Eagle Pack kibbles are rated 4 stars from www.dogfoodadvisor.com so it's a decent food.

I have a 4.5 month old right now. We feed him the Costco brand Kirkland adult formula chicken & rice. That's what his breeder was feeding when we got him so I decided to go with the "if it's ain't broke, why fix it" mentality and kept him on it. The breeder has been breeding for 30 years. The Kirkland kibbles has 1% calcium to 0.8% phosphate ratio. It's like $28 for a 40 lb bag. The Kirkland kibbles are also rated 4 stars on dogadvisor. My pup right now eats about 4.5 cups a day and from the time we got him, he been growing at a very steady rate of 2-3 lbs a week.
    We wish we could do the Costco brand, we just don't have a membership and the closest one is over 40 minutes away. Guess we could call in some favors!

Puppy (New Member)

http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsuppl...brand-pet-food

Thoughts on this? Is this good for Pyr puppies?