Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Kkrieger47`s Photos

Default Wanting to get a puppy

Hi all,

My husband and I have been researching getting a dog and we have fallen in love with the Great Pyrenees breed. I would like to hear from current owners before we make a decision because I have read mixed reviews on the breed. I have heard that this is not the breed for first time dog owners. I grew up with dogs but my husband and I have never had a dog together. We currently have two cats. We live in a suburban area and would like to have this dog be a companion dog. I read they can be stubborn, which doesn't bother me, because I have cats and I'm used to that (except cats are not 120+ lbs) I understand the need to have them socialized and I would take the puppy to obedience classes and continue to work with it throughout its life. I just want to know from other owners what their thoughts are on this being our first dog. I would appreciate any and all thoughts or advice. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

Howdy and welcome to the board!

Pyrs are a breed of their own. I personally love their stubbornness...I mean I live with stubborn people at least Missy doesn't talk back much. They are barkers which is something you need to consider if you have neighbors. Thankfully my neighbors don't care about the barking. My neighbors and I have an understanding I don't complain about their parties and weed and they don't complain about my barking dogs. It's a nice thing we got going on. As far as training goes you have to stay on top of it and be prepared for them to forget what you taught them. Mind you earlier in the week they were doing it perfectly, but it's Wednesday now and they checked out for the rest of the week. It can be frustrating, but at the same time it's rewarding when they do feel you worthy enough to listen to. Now these are independent thinkers and don't do well with that whole Cesar Milan pack leader crap. These guys will respect you and follow your lead as long as you earn their trust so when you do go looking for trainers try to find one whose familiar with the breed or similar breeds. These guys like to debate what you say and decide if it's worth listening to, because they know better then you. Also remember they don't tend to fully mature until they are about 2-3 years old so you will have a giant puppy until then. They will push the boundaries they steal from your counters and push your buttons just to see your reaction, but at the same time they will love you with everything they have and protect you until the end.

They aren't good off leash so don't ever hold your breath for that to be a goal with a Pyr. Most Pyrs like to dis-apyr on you so keep them leashed and in a fenced yard. They will need to be brushed often cause they shed twice a year for 6 months each cycle...meaning all the time. Black clothes will always have white hairs on them. You will find hair in your food, one time I found Missy's hair on my toothbrush still don't know how that got there. It's better then when she was a puppy, one time she ate all of the bristles off of my toothbrush..that one was fun. Let's just say it's hard to stay mad at them when they look at you with those big brown eyes and tilt their heads with their ears lifted up to say they are sorry. I like to say Missy can get away with murder thanks to that look. She proves that daily as she uses that same look to beg from my Mom.

All in all I personally love the breed, but I wasn't a first time dog owner and I knew that I was training a giant cat who will protect whatever she believes is her flock. If you have patients and are willing to adjust some regular dog expectations you will do fine.

Puppy (New Member)

Kkrieger47`s Photos

Thank you so much for the reply. As far as barking goes, is the barking mostly at night or is it an all the time deal? I was also curious if there are any major health issues that you have seen with this breed, such as hip dysplasia? Once again, thank you for welcoming me and giving me advice!

Tessy`s Photos

Hi,

My Great Pyrenees was my first "real" dog. By that I mean that I have never really owned a dog for that long before. I do and did own cats before my dogs. We got her when she was just a little puppy. My Pyr is outdoor only, but we do bring her in sometimes. In terms of barking, well, they do bark a lot but, I am sure that if it was obedience trained and indoors, it would be far less barking. They are very large, and if you are looking for an indoor only dog, well, they are certainly not cats...but, as a cat lover, they do sometimes have cat tendencies like their independence. But, they are certainly very loyal dogs. In fact, my dog, some how...I am not sure exactly how, escaped from her fence and instead of running away, she came straight to the door and sat there until we came and opened it.

Hope that helps. Good luck on finding that new Great Pyrenees.

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kkrieger47 View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply. As far as barking goes, is the barking mostly at night or is it an all the time deal? I was also curious if there are any major health issues that you have seen with this breed, such as hip dysplasia? Once again, thank you for welcoming me and giving me advice!
    They bark whenever they feel there is a threat nearby. Now you might not see it, but they know it's there. We like to joke about them barking at low flying satellites.

As for health concerns they have the same health issues as most large breeds do. Which means hip dysplasia, osteosarcoma and other types of cancers, bloat, dwarfism and if you go for a white Pyr with no pigment around the eyes you can run the gambit of getting a blind or deaf dog. In all honesty it's pretty standard to most large breeds for health concerns. Their life spans vary greatly depending on the line. I have a friend who had their Pyr for 16 years before she passed away. If you do your homework and pick a good breeder you should have less health issues.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Rena450`s Photos

I agree with what Tsunibear said regarding the breed. I had 3 Golden Retrievers before getting Lyric (which was 6 months ago and at that time she was 9 months old). So far Lyric has been great ... . she is an inside family member, not too much of a barker so far, we do have a fenced in yard, very lovable, calm and lay back. She was an outside dog prior to getting her, so, there was a bit of an adjustment period getting used to a house and letting me know when she needed to go outside to do her business. Seems like these past 6 weeks something 'clicked' and we seem to understand each other and what we expect of each other ....... but, I wouldn't have it any other way. She has got my whole heart

Puppy (New Member)

Kkrieger47`s Photos

Hi all, it's official, we picked our little girl up today. She's ten weeks, she is precious! It was a rough day for her, we had a 4 hour drive back home, but she was a trooper. She's still a little scared (to be expected). A question I have is, we want her to sleep in her crate at night, is it good to cover the sides of the crate with a sheet to make her more comfortable? I plan on taking her out every 2-3 hours, but I do want her to get some sleep in her crate. Any and all ideas welcome! Thank you guys for everything!!

We cover Stitch's crate with a light quilt. We've had him for a week and he goes right in and flops down to sleep. We do make sure that he's been potty and that he plays right before bed. Tiring him out seems to help him sleep longer. He doesn't even whimper and can go around 6 hours (granted, he's a little older--14 weeks) before needing to be let out. We do provide a bully stick in the crate to keep him busy if he wakes up and gets bored. We haven't had any problems with him at all.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kkrieger47 View Post
    is it good to cover the sides of the crate with a sheet to make her more comfortable?
    It depends on the puppy. Every one is different. My boy Bro was crate trained overnight. His crate was in a different room than ours so he was all alone and he didn't mind. We tried the same thing when Bijou came along and that didn't work with her at all. With my current nearly 5 month old pup, we have the crate in our room. He has to be able to see out his crate so his crate is not covered at all. Also, if you are going to cover the crate, make sure the room is cool enough for the pup. Puppies generally run pretty warm so you want to make sure the temp is comfortable.

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy doesn't like having her crate covered though sometimes I wish she did. It really will depend on your puppy.