Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Question 9 Month Pups from my neighbor....?

You guys, I'm new here but where I live there are 3 Great Pyrs that run the neighborhood.
    The two newest, I'm told, are 9 months old and brothers. Neutered and vaccinated.
    But up until 3 days ago, when I started feeding them they were getting into everyone's trash and super skittish.
    Now they come to me more than their owner. And I'm just wondering if they're okay. Like....what should their weight be and how filled out should they look?
    I took this photo yesterday; they're so sweet and my girls love them to pieces.
    From what I've been told, Eli is on the left and Payton is on the right (and though at first they weren't sure, they know their names now. )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5148.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	8469  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

welcome Brandi....those boys look well fed & very healthy & happy....

but, if their owner lets them run & they are getting into everyone's trash...this might not be a very good thing later on down the line as they get more mature,the possibility of them thinking everything they hear, see & smell is theirs to protect & defend...in other words fights.

they are still young enough to be separated, generally speaking 2 of the same gender are normally trouble....but one can never tell.

depending on how large the litter was, how large the parents were & their nutrition intake, it's hard to say how large these boys will be or should be.

Pyr's don't truly "fill out" until they are around 2

are you thinking of keeping one?!!

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

They seem good together. Though Eli seems more willing and quiet and takes to "sit" and "wait" better than Payton.
    Payton sorta pushes him around a bit, but from their looks, I figured Payton was older; perhaps from the same parents but not litter considerng Eli was more...puppy-faced.
    I think the woman got them from a shelter or someone who didn't want them anymore. From my experience with her she does this frequently and animals end up one day not being there anymore for whatever reason.
    Penny, the thrid Pyr and only female has been around since I've lived here (going on 4 years) but she's the only constant I've seen.
    These two have gotten better since I've fed them; before, even with their heavy coats, you could tell they weren't supposed to be so trim.
    I about cried yesterday when I put out food for them and watched them eat a little then go lay down in the carport with food still left in the bowl. I swear they were smiling.
    If I had to choose, I would try to keep Eli, but with them running free like they do, I think it would be super hard to keep them away even though they are fixed.
    Currently, I'm working on keeping them no further than my yard; when we're outside and they veer off or I hear them bark I go out calling for them and it's not long before they knock me over.
    Last night they stayed until around 9, when my husband came home around then he mentioned they were headed back towards where they came from.
    I'm not sure what I can do, because I know she won't give them up and while they have their tags, I worry about what will happen if a car hits one of them or they get hurt while galivanting through the woods.
    I feel better though, knowing they look okay
    Currently, they're outside my kitchen window.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16195667_1278633848896401_3886230006669501386_n.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	8470

Brandi....so correct me...you are not looking to adopt either one of these two guys, you just wanted to know if they were healthy looking or not?

I would talk with a local vet & voice your concerns about them wandering...find out if there is an animal control that might pick them up, might be if they get picked up the owner would at least have to pay a fine...or she might have to fence her yard & control her dogs...and if they get picked up too often & they cost her too much, she might surrender them either to a rescue or a humane society.

I agree, the chance that they might get hit or worse...depending upon your area...shot...would be a concern

Puppy (New Member)

My girls want both of them, but I'm leaning towards Eli since he seems a little more submissive and not so stubborn.
    They're both good dogs, but I've noticed Payton throwing his weight around and being a bit more pushy towards the girls. I'm wanting our dog to be able to listen to a three and six year old just as well as myself.
    They both stayed here last night in the carport and are out there still this morning. So I'm thinking adopting one or both woulnd't be too much of a hassel.
    I'm needing to know more about the pros and cons of keeping them both together versus seperating them though. And other things like like how well they do on leads or if maybe a chest harness would be better.
    It's been a long time since I've owned a dog.

unless your neighbor lets you keep one of the dogs, or the dogs are surrendered to a shelter, I don't think I would just keep one.

if it's been awhile since you've owned a dog...a Pyrenees might not be the place to start. If they are around 9 months old, you can expect their personalities to change by the time they are 2....that's a general statement...they might become more protective or more mellow...hard to tell...

don't' expect a Pyr to be a Lab or a Retriever, by that I mean, a Pyr can be taught things, but with them it is a request not a command...and they will decide whether to comply...they work as a team member of the family...seeing their role as protector & guardian...might be from a human threat, a flying threat or simply a leaf that doesn't belong in their area...

so,my suggestion...read up on the breed

I would not suggest getting same gender dogs, even tho they may be brothers.....if you are noticing Paytons assertive ways now, he may display more later on...brothers or not..

many here on the forum do like harnesses...but remember, if they are off leash now, there will be lots of training to do to get one used to any type of leash or harness...

ask your self how much time & energy & patience you have to dedicate to training a dog...and training your children to be good doggie companions....and just as a note....no matter how mellow any dog looks....never leave them alone unsupervised with a small child (but I'm sure you know that)..even a small chihuahua can inflict a nasty bite & mental trauma for all...

not to put you off....just putting some facts out there...I have owned 4 Pyrs, all with different personalities...my current guy is 4, was super social as a pup....but now...I walk him on a leash, just me & him, because if he sees another dog on our walks he gets very defensive & assertive & I have to concentrate on him & redirecting him

just saw this on another Pyrenees sight....thought I'd share it...

We are Great Pyrenees
    We are not for everyone
    We are Great Pyrenees,
    We are not for everyone
    You want a ball or a fritzbee fetched ?
    Try a Retriever
    Looking for a K-9 companion who won’t shed , drool, or dig ?
    Maybe a tiny toy
    Require constant fawning devotion?
    Look into spaniels
    Need a bird pointed or flushed ?
    Sporting breeds
    Got a coon that needs treeing?
    Hound time
    Have a penchant or instant obedience to whistles/hand signals, or barely
    Expressed whims ?
    Shelties, Border Collies ,come to mind
    We are Great Pyrenees, We are not for everyone
    We can do some of these things
    But why should We ?
    Motivate Us properly and we might
    Or not
    Did You call Us arrogant ?
    We prefer self confidant and independent
    Are We aloof ?
    Discriminating is more accurate
    I heard You mention Lazy ?
    Have you not heard of conservation of energy?
    And what about stubborn and disobedient ?
    What about them ?
    Think assertive and Freethinking
    We are a proud breed
    Tracing our roots back to the Bronze Age
    So call it”too much barking” or “protection racket”
    We do not care
    Do not let Our puppy preciousness fool You
    We are not cute little balls of fluff to be played with
    And abandoned when We become too large to carry about .
    We are clever, too clever by far, say some
    WE will show you Your flaws
    In your homes, Your containment systems….your lives
    We will stand by You as You rectify them
    Or seek smarter humans if You do not .
    We are Great Pyrenees , We are not for Everyone.
    We guard and protect
    O sheep without fleece
    We are a working breed
    Perhaps we look as if we are napping
    But if danger approaches
    We will rise to the occasion
    Have You seen a wolf or a bear nearby ?
    We think not
    we have been doing our job
    Do You expect subservience from Your friends ?
    Do they do Your bidding without question ?
    Do they make You feel like the absolute monarch or all You survey ?
    GOOD
    We will not duplicate that effort
    We are true friends and loving companions
    We will guard Your backside and kiss your face
    But not the other way around

Puppy (New Member)

I still find myself not being too far away when they come up to the girls.
    I'm usually within arm's reach of them when they're both around at the same time; I've been bitten by a Pyr when I was about 4 or 5 and still have a scar on my cheek; in her defense she was going blind and I came up too fast on her...but not the point, I watch them closely, but there's a lot more to look into, it seems.

I've watched them watch cars pull into the driveway; usually laying down, but they seem to have learned our vehicles from everyone else's and when we get out they run to us, while if my parents get out they stand by the door of our house and bark. It's kind of a comfort and I've quickly grown to like the sound of their deep barks.

When you say their personalities change...you're meaning more protective in terms of keeping the girls and I safe which can display as aggression towards anything they see as a threat, but not towards the girls and I or my husband when he comes home off the road...right? I know all dogs have a tendency to be mean, but is this breed more aggressive as a last resort? I've seen dogs growl just for show but never bite, while also seeing the exact opposite in a dog that bites at you when you scoot its chew toy away from it.

And trust me, you aren't putting me off; the first thing I liked about them was their looks which led me to really looking at them and realizing they had to have been a herding dog of some sort somewhere along the way; but there's always more to a breed than just histroy facts and with two girls in the house it's important for us to know what we're getting into.

Other than sifting through everything here on this site, where else do you suggest I go for more information? Like training on the harness and things like that? We have all the time and patience in the world for animals in this family so working with them would never be a problem...which is what I think may be part of their issue now with where they're at. I don't think the family has the time for them and has them more for....lack of a better term, for pasture orniments. But looking at them anyone can see there's so much more to them than that.

Brandi...go to the National Pyrenees sight & read about the breed, contact breeders or even a Pyrenees rescue sight & ask tons of questions!!! Get a book by Orysia Dawdyak & David Sims titled "Livestock Protection Dogs", this will help give you some insight to their history & breed traits, as well as some training ideas....also pick up books by Patricia McConnell...she's a great trainer & has insight into the breed.

also...they are not a herding breed...they are an LGD....livestock guarding dog...meant to be out in the fields with their flock, protecting & thinking for themselves...which is why they are not considered a "biddable" dog...one that will obey commands...

I forgot to mention....you will have to have a secure fence if you want to keep one of them....as you know...they are wanderers...and by secure I mean up to a 6 -8 foot fence, one they cannot climb out of.

When I say personalities change I mean that they become more sure of themselves, more independent thinking (some people call this stubborn) and more protective...does that mean when your husband comes home from being gone for awhile a Pyr would become protective....yes, it's possible.

most Pyrenees will use only as much force to defend & protect their flock...usually staring with body language, to growl & lastly to injure...remember, they were LGD's out in the field, they didn't want to become injured either.

It's so hard to say how these boys personalities will develop, they seem to have had no social training, nor any routine to their lives... it's like trying to predict right now how your daughters will grow up & what their opinions might be when they are in their 20's...

so...read, call experts & learn, and maybe even ask the vet who you think might have neutered them his/her opinion of the dogs...