Thread: Hot spots?

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Hot spots?

***/Neuter status: Female and spayed
    Breed: Great Pyrenees
    Body weight: 91 lbs

History: Born in Oklahoma on a farm, moved her to Homer, Alaska where she lived until last August and then moved to the Western Slope of Colorado.

Clinical signs: Hot spots. Hair loss. Excessive shedding. Hot spots currently are located on the front of her neck and on the inside of both of her back legs. The ones that have healed were on her back-end, and on her back (where she couldn't reach). The hair on those spots has grown in some, but not completely. Those areas haven't shown much growth in a few months.

Duration: This has been an issue since the beginning of September 2016 right after she moved to Colorado.

My question is, after many vet visits a three rounds of antibiotics and steroids, do I continue to go to the vet and keep her on antibiotics and steroids?

Additionally, is there anything I can do for my dog without getting her antibiotics all the time? They are expensive for my college student budget and I don't think it's healthy for her to be on them constantly (right?). So far I've put coconut oil, hydrocortisone cream, and silver sulfadiazine on her hot spots. However, they still seem to be growing. She is losing more and more hair, wearing a cone so she doesn't lick, and seems miserable.

Is there any idea of what is happening to my dog?

Let me know if you need any additional information, or photos.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome bellalaska...

this has got to be very worrisome for you & uncomfortable for your girl...

food....is she on a grain free dry kibble?

I assume the vet has done a scraping on her to check for any mites or other things that could be instigating this...

Instead of a cone, could you put an old t-shirt on her?

Puppy (New Member)

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Welcome bellalaska...

this has got to be very worrisome for you & uncomfortable for your girl...

food....is she on a grain free dry kibble?

I assume the vet has done a scraping on her to check for any mites or other things that could be instigating this...

Instead of a cone, could you put an old t-shirt on her?
    Thanks for getting back to me. She has spots on the insides of her back legs otherwise I'm sure the t-shirt would work great.

As for food, she is on a grain-free dry kibble but I've been looking into switching her to a raw diet.

We are planning on going to the vet to get her on antibiotics again, hopefully that will help her feel more comfortable.

Thanks again!

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Environmental allergies as well as food allergies can both play a large part in the onset of hot-spots. Make yourself a checklist of what has changed , what is different about here and now where she is experiencing the hot-spots and the environment in Homer. Even down to the soap you use to wash dishes with.

I will have to look when I get home this weekend to see what the brand-name is of the hot-spot remedy that we use on our fosters. It is a pump spray antiseptic, and requires multiple applications during the day (and given the Pyrs reaction I believe it might sting a little bit or be cold when applied, but , soldier thru), but, it appears to be an effective treatment . I'll post it later this evening or tomorrow morning when I get home and get a chance to dig it out.

oh and welcome to the boards.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Finally got a chance to check on the hot spot spray. It is just a store brand. Label says PetCo Antiseptic Spray with Bite Deterrent.

This is not an ad nor an endorsement just what works for us and in the parlance of the internet, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), but, it has been very successful for us through multiple Pyrs. Well I guess that is an endorsement after all but you understand what I mean. Good luck and hope that helps and the girl gets some relief.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --