Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default male great pyrenees aggression

My male is going to be 3 in April. I also have a 6 1/2 year old girl. I have a petting farm with lots of people in and out. I have had both of the dogs since weeks after birth so they have been raised around animals and people. My male in the past 6 months has been getting more and more aggressive with people. I used to be able to let him out when we have parties and people here but now I have to keep him tied up. Used to only be aggressive (nipping at back of feet) with guys but now it is with girls also. I don't understand why he keeps getting more and more aggressive and it is to a point now that it is a liability. I love my dogs. He especially follows me around all the time. Waits for me. I tell him it is ok when people come but he won't listen to me. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this with your boy. Has he been neutered? If not, now might be a good time for that.

Given his age and your history with him, it sounds an awful lot like age is playing a factor. As they reach mental maturity, some of them become far less tolerant of situations they had been fine with as puppies and adolescents. My Sebastian, for example, loved other dogs more than anything. He was a regular at doggie day care and a favorite at local dog parks. Then, when he was 2 1/2, he met a dog he didn't like. Within a year, he hated most dogs he didn't already know. He was still great with his friends, but the sight of new dogs prompted quite the obnoxious display from him.

This is behavior that can be managed and worked on, with the help of the right person. Finding that person may be a bit of a challenge. The best advice I can give is to start with these two lists:

http://www.animalbehaviorsociety.org...-directory.php

http://www.dacvb.org/about/member-directory/

These are the country's top experts in animal behavior and behavior modification. Chances are, there is not going to be someone on this list very close to you, but some of them do offer phone consultations (I know the veterinary Behaviorist in Austin offers them).

I have worked with several Behaviorists and behavior modification trainers in my area, and I can say that the CAAB with whom I am currently working has not only been (by far) the most effective, she is also one of the most reasonably priced. Of course, prices vary from person to person, but...

Please keep us posted on your progress with him!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Default thank you for the reply

I will check out the links you sent. No he has not been neutered. Yes I use him for breeding the other great Pyrenees because we love to have puppies. I am thinking you are right about the neutering aspect. As with other animals and I have lots of other animals, yes when they reach that age some of them can become aggressive. I wish I could just get him neutered but I do like to have puppies and was thinking of adding another female since my girl is getting old. I was just thinking of my friends male dogs I have seen thru the years and that is where my girl came from and they aren't aggressive BUT now that you mentioned it she got them fixed!

Wow that is a lot to think about....puppies or a boy dog I could live with and wouldn't be a liability on the farm????

Thank you so much for the valued insight.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this with your boy. Has he been neutered? If not, now might be a good time for that.

Given his age and your history with him, it sounds an awful lot like age is playing a factor. As they reach mental maturity, some of them become far less tolerant of situations they had been fine with as puppies and adolescents. My Sebastian, for example, loved other dogs more than anything. He was a regular at doggie day care and a favorite at local dog parks. Then, when he was 2 1/2, he met a dog he didn't like. Within a year, he hated most dogs he didn't already know. He was still great with his friends, but the sight of new dogs prompted quite the obnoxious display from him.

This is behavior that can be managed and worked on, with the help of the right person. Finding that person may be a bit of a challenge. The best advice I can give is to start with these two lists:

http://www.animalbehaviorsociety.org...-directory.php

http://www.dacvb.org/about/member-directory/

These are the country's top experts in animal behavior and behavior modification. Chances are, there is not going to be someone on this list very close to you, but some of them do offer phone consultations (I know the veterinary Behaviorist in Austin offers them).

I have worked with several Behaviorists and behavior modification trainers in my area, and I can say that the CAAB with whom I am currently working has not only been (by far) the most effective, she is also one of the most reasonably priced. Of course, prices vary from person to person, but...

Please keep us posted on your progress with him!

Do your friends possibly have an intact male with a suitable temperament that you could use as a stud dog? Is there a GP breed club in your area that might be able to help you find suitable stud dogs?

I ask because, with your boy's behavior getting to the point of being a liability, every puppy he sires is at risk for developing similar dangerous behavior as they mature. It's part of why many breeders hold off on breeding until their dogs are at least two years old.

Being a stranger on the internet, I certainly can't tell you what to do. If it were me, though, I would sterilize any dog with human aggression, and look for dogs with more docile personalities to be part of a breeding program.

Puppy (New Member)

that is a good idea and I would like to pay someone else to use their dog BUT I can never tell when she is in heat. I know I have heard and read the signs before and I look but I can never tell until I see them actually doing it. I agree with what you are saying.

We actually discovered that one of Sebastian's friends was in heat simply by the way he was behaving around her (he had been neutered for years at that point). He was absolutely mesmerized by her (he usually ignored her), and she was flirting back. It was when he tried to mount her that we figured out what was going on with her, and we had to keep them separated for a few weeks. Neutered males will show interest and they can tie, they just can't impregnate. It is ill-advised to allow them to tie "for fun", though. They can injure themselves or the bitch in the process.

Hopefully, that helps.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

greatpyrenees....

Welcome to the forum...you've already gotten some good directions to follow with your boy, I will add a few personal notes to SebastiansMom comments...

I have had Pyr's for 30 years, males & females....2 were spayed at about 6 months (both were females)...Nick was sent to us via a breeder in WA state already neutered at 8 weeks. Our current boy, Rudy, was kept intact until around 2 1/2 yrs.
    until he started reacting assertively towards my husband, then he was neutered.

However...my first female changed her personality at around 2, from then on she could not tolerate another unknown dog around, and there were a few people she let know that she didn't trust either. Nick was a social guy...never a problem, but I think that might have been due to his early neuter, he did change his personality also at around 2....he was more protective, but in a quiet non-aggressive mode...usually placing himself between me & the person he didn't trust.

and in regards to having a dog in the type of situation you are describing might be a liability to you, your farm & your dog...the stress that he may feel not being able to "guard" you & his flock from a threat might make him even more aggressive....and in the litigious world we are living in now would be a concern for me.

Please continue on the forum....would love to hear more about you & your lively hood & of course your dogs!!

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

First, I want to thank you all for some good information. I also wanted to give you an update on the situation. The last 2 weeks it has been real hard wondering what to do since having an open to the public petting farm is what we do as a livelyhood and the male wasn't getting any better. He went from being male aggressive to also female aggressive and then he showed a definite sign last Friday eve on starting to be child aggressive. No rescue would take an aggressive dog to the public. He was never aggressive to my daughter or I because we did train him. My aunts non fixed male great pyrenees I saw 2 times in the last 2 weeks and he was not aggressive at all to anyone and he was the same age as mine. It is with a sad heart that after showing the sign of being child aggressive I had to put him down. Next time when I go to get a great pyrenees I will look at the breeding line. My almost 7 year old female is not agressive at all. My friend gave her to my daughter as a puppy so we had been around the parents on numerous occasions and saw that they were not aggressive at all. The boy I just had to put down I never saw the parents. I didn't know that some lines were aggressive and I should get to know the parents. I had no idea. Live and learn. Please no nasty hateful comments because I had to put my boy down. I loved him and my daughter is still mad at me but he became such a liability and danger to anyone including kids who came on my property. I do miss him but know I did the right thing. Fear does not go thru me now whenever someone comes on my property.

I am so sorry to hear that you had to make such a gut-wrenching decision. With his aggression intensifying and generalizing so quickly, I think you made the right decision. That kind of aggression is not normal, and not healthy for anyone - your boy included. As difficult as your decision was, it was merciful and loving not to let him suffer a lifetime of debilitating mental illness.

Still, even with it being the right decision, that doesn't make it easy. I can't imagine your heartbreak today.

Sebastian, Chester, and I are sending you lots of love and light.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

greatpyrenees....I am sorry to hear that you had to make this decision for your family & for your boy....I know it was not an easy one for you....I don't think in any circumstances it is an easy decision.

yes, all Pyr's are different, as all people have different personalities

he knew love and he had a caring family....many dogs do not have those simple things in life

may you find the right dog for your situation one day

thinking of you & your family...

Nancy & Rudy