Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Jack: a friend, a companion, a guardian

Jack passed yesterday and I wanted to share what the DW wrote.
    Hi All -*

It is with a very heavy heart and deepest sadness that Patrick and I said good-bye to Jack early this morning. *

Following his cancerous mass removal a few months ago, we continued to see and watch Jack decline in energy and health. *In the past weeks, he was not eating and drinking very little. *Along with this, his enthusiasm for his daily walks declined and even got to where he wasn't even interested in his treats. *His breathing over the past 2-3 weeks began to become more labored each day. *At night, laying in bed, it was painful and heartbreaking to hear him struggling so hard for breath.*

In all my years as a pet owner, never was I in the position of making the decision that Patrick and I had to make this morning, but it was time. *Although we wanted to be selfish and keep fighting to help him get better, he had just grown old and we believe, the cancerous tumor may have spread to his other organs and thus, his decline and labored breathing. *But, because we loved (love) him so much, we did not want him to suffer or get to the point where he was in pain, thus, we made the dreaded decision to let God take him to dog heaven this morning. *He left us early this morning around 5:15 am. *We were with him to comfort, hold and touch him the entire time. *He passed with ease, peace and grace; just as he lived and will live forever. *

Patrick and I are in a state of disbelief that he is gone from us, in this life. *Our day has been filled with, it seems, buckets of tears, anger, grief, sadness, numbness and holes in each of our hearts that we know will take a great bit of time to begin to mend and will probably never heal completely. *Jack was not our dog, he was a part of family; an important and big one (no pun intended). *His absence will be missed for a very long time; probably for the rest of our lives.

We have made arrangements for his cremation and will be making final memorial items\ decisions (urn, clay paw print, ink print of his nose) in the coming days. Either way, we will be bringing Jack back home to us. *We decided any burial in our back yard wasn't an option. *Although, he loved laying out in the sun in our front yard, the yard was not his home, our house and the sofa was his home and that's where he will be; with us in his/our home.

Oliver and Otis, too seem to know something is amiss. *Not just that "the big guy" isn't here, but that there is something going on with us too, as they each have found a home close by and in our laps as much as they can all day.

Despite our deep sadness today, we have filled our roller coaster day of emotions with memories of Jack too. *Here are a few that we would like to share with you:

* * - *seeing Jack for the first time at the Atlanta Great Pyrenees Rescue facility and my reaction....."He's BIG!!"*

* * - *sitting on the sofa with Jack and if you weren't touching him, how he would "Pyr Paw" you until you started touching and petting him

* * - *his periodic farts and how they would just get me in a stitch - laughing until I would cry

* * - *how Oliver and Otis would walk underneath Jack when he was blocking a door way

* * - *laying in the sun out in the front yard and had we let him, would have laid there all day until it was time for his walk and treats

* * - *he loved camping and wading in the trout streams we would be camping near

* * - *his snoring, which at times, seemed to rattle the windows

* * - *how he was such a wonderful guardian of us, whether on our walks or when I would be working upstairs and he would come up to lay on the landing - to keep an eye on things and make sure there wasn't going to be anything or anyone that was going to come up those stairs and think they would get past him to me.

* * - *how he loved his car rides and hanging his head out the window

* *- *how he would "prance" like a Kentucky walking horse and pop his jaws when he was excited; as if this wears his way of clapping

* * - *going to Bruester's ice cream stands for his doggie dish of ice cream with a mini-dog bone on top; how he loved his ice cream treats

* * - *how he never stole people food off the kitchen counter or table - although he could reach anything that he wanted....how he never begged for food while we were eating and would just settle in next to the table at our feet until we were finished

* * - *how in the 6 years we had Jack, never pooped in our yard

* * - *how passing cars would stop and at times turn around to come to ask what kind of dog he was and share how handsome and beautiful he was. He could literally stop traffic

* * - *how he treated all the neighbor kids with such gentleness, even the most scared at first were begging to give him his treat at the next treat spot.

* * - *and how on one of our walks, a little neighbor girl proudly shared and told us ...."You know, Jack is a legend in the neighborhood"

Well, for Patrick and I, Jack is a legend and this legend and these among all of our memories of him, will live with us forever. *

With deep holes and heavy hearts, we wanted you to know more about Jack, his life, the impact and just a glimpse of what he did and gave us. *

He will be forever missed and loved, our beloved Jack.

Love,*

Aimee & Patrick

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Patrick & Aimee....

so sorry for the loss of Jack in your life....
    what a beautiful tribute to him....remembering all the little things that made him who he was
    he found a secure, caring & accepting home, full of love to give him.....and he gave in return

you describe very well the gambit of emotions that we humans deal with at times like this

may your hearts always remember the wonderfulness of Jack....may that empty space be filled one day with those memories

crying with you
    Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Patrick,

Sebastian, Chester, and I are so very sorry for your loss, and are sending much love and light to you, Aimee, Oliver, and Otis. I can't begin to imagine the pain of missing such a wonderful, special dog.

The tribute to him is a beautiful memorial to a beloved family member. I'm at work right now, trying to fight back the tears (the tears are winning).

Sebastian and Chester will be getting extra hugs tonight, and we will be sending some hugs to your family, as well.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Aimee and Patrick, I am so sorry for your loss, such deep loss. I can't come up with words to express the hurt in my heart for you. But I can smile through my tears and you know, a dog that not once pooped in his own backyard in 6 years had gotta be extra special...

Big HUG to Jack's family.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

So deeply sorry to know that you have had to let Jack go. Truly one of the most difficult decisions to make. My heart aches for you in your loss and pain.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I am so sorry for your loss. I know this wasn't an easy decision to make and I know you guys suffering a big loss right now. I want you to know that I am thinking about you and keeping you in my thoughts through these hard times.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

thank you so much, each and every one of you for your help, support and sharing your knowledge over the years. i thought that over the up and coming weekend we would post some of our favorite photos. late, but an album. some people may not understand how we feel but the feelings are real and they are ours.

patrick