Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Lacey ate parts of a rabbit!

Well, my 2 year old Pyr finally caught a rabbit. She was out in her fenced area and of course the rabbits have to come in there - as if the rest of the 10 acres isn't enough for them. I was sleeping and woke to her crying and burying something. Brought her in the house and saw blood on her face and front knees. We dug out the rabbit from Lacey's hiding place and found that she ate one back leg and all the insides. Beyond being completely grossed out and not really liking her too much at the moment, is there anything I should be concerned about? Can the bones get stuck in her intestines or can she get a disease? Have other Pyrs done this? My other dogs have caught rabbits, but never ate them!

Christine

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

sounds like Lacey has "great" hunting skills!!

depending upon if these rabbits are domestic or wild & how many she "tastes" you might want to watch her eliminations for signs of worms...you can deworm her yourself or talk with your vet about some pills

Rudy is a "great white hunter" also.....his wild animal of choice is a mouse or a vole!!!
    Don't want to put an image in your mind about what he does with them when he breaks the squeaker

Road Dawg

Yes, Lacey is into voles and mice too! She hasn't gotten any, but she is looking for them under the snow. She will step ever so carefully and always keeps one leg up. Then she pounces. Can't wait until spring time when there will be lots of mice and bunny nests - ugggghh. My old Pyr would carefully take the baby rabbits out of nests, and I would wipe off the dog spit and put them back. The rabbit was wild. She has chased a few in her fence, but I was always nearby or could see out the window when I'd hear her take off across the deck. All got away and if she did get one, I could get to her before she had her snack. Last night, she went out in the middle of the night and I went back to bed. I thought I was nice getting up and letting her out because she was hot in the house - well she has now lost that privilege. We put up the chain link fence to keep her safe from the coyotes when she goes out by herself. Instead, we created a new source of food. This is the Pyr who is painfully shy and fearful of people. She needs a giant rabbit to sneak up on her and bite her in the butt! I'll forgive her eventually, but the yuck factor is stuck in my head.

Road Dawg

Well, we are now suffering the aftermath of Lacey eating a wild rabbit back in January. She now has tapeworm! She had some loose stool late last week and I had to trim up her "seat cushion" to clean her. That is when I saw the dried segments of the worm on her back end. Called the vet right after and they said they needed to special order a compounded medication because of her size. Finally, it came in yesterday and I gave it to her. In reading articles on the web, they say that there usually aren't many symptoms of tapeworm in dogs. But, of course Lacey is different. Prior to starting the medication, she had episodes of diarrhea and just blobs of mucous coming out in the past couple of days. Then, she would walk around a bit and just suddenly lay down. This kept getting worse to where she would drop, push her chin into the ground and then roll around on her back. I would try to pet her, but she would just get up and move away. So, obviously she was in pain. This was quite intense yesterday evening and lasted for a couple of hours. She is exhausted now - slept through the night, which never happens.

The funny thing is that she is hungry. I made her rice and ground beef to help her tummy. I did take in a poo sample to check for any other problems and it came back negative.

Am I right to assume that her laying down and rolling behavior to be stomach pain/cramps? I've never seen this in any of my dogs. Also, her anxiety has heightened (her fear of people) while she has been sick. The poor girl! I hope the medication works quickly and she can get back to her old self and not be in pain. I she still seems to demonstrate pain, I will take her to the vet in case there is something else going on.

Christine

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Both of mine have had tapeworms several times. They both had vomiting and diarrhea about two weeks before the segments started showing up. Neither of them showed any signs of having cramps or being in pain.

Sebastian has a long history of gastrointestinal issues, and he tends to be a giant baby when he isn't feeling well. Usually, when he has abdominal cramps, he stretches frequently at times and in situations he would not normally stretch.

If you really think she is in distress, I would take her in to be examined. Tapeworm really isn't supposed to be a big deal.

I will say that the last time my two had tapeworms, I used an over-the-counter dewormer that I had not used before. I came home one night during the course of treatment, and found him lethargic. I took him to the Emergency Vet, and the only thing they could come up with is that he may have had a reaction to the dewormer. If Lacey's behavior started or worsened after you have her the medication, that could be part of what you have going on.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Mine had Tapeworm this past summer. No one showed signs of being sick but Lily did not do well post-treatment and had bloody diarrhea for quite a few days... Apparently can be a problem some dogs have with the medication. Neither Tyro nor Ru had any issues but Lily was also the only one showing signs of tapeworm segments. We treated all three simply because it is assumed all have it. Our vet said it was from fleas so can't really comment about the bunny cause.

Jewel`s Photos

We've dealt with tapeworms now and then. But mine never showed any noticeable symptoms. I would notice the worms in the stool and then they are wormed accordingly. They didn't react to the medication either. When I was taking them to our friend's ranch weekly, I'd worm them on a precautionary basis every couple of months.

I hope Lacey feels better soon!! Tapeworm is one of the common "side effects" from eating wildlife. The worms would come from the dog eating the fleas that were on the wildlife.