Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Strange Chin Rash?

Yesterday, I noticed what looked like a little scrape under Sebastian's chin. He had gotten into the trash late last week, so I assumed he had scraped his chin on something while he was getting into mischief.

Today, I looked at it, and it seems to have grown a bit since yesterday.

I did buy them a new brand of treats (the beef roll treats from Trader Joe's).

He's due for his Parvo/Distemper, so I'm going to make an appointment to have it checked out. It doesn't seem to bother him, but if it's something that needs to be taken care of, I'd rather do it sooner than later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3332.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	8456

This isn't the best photo, but he really did not feel like cooperating for photos.

What do you all think? Scrape? Demodex? Contact Dermatitis from the new treats?
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I call it chin acne. Cats get it a lot and Missy does too from time to time. I have wipes and a diaper rash cream that clear it up. For the cats I use clearsil wipes on their chin and let them go, but because Missy gets her chin wet more often I put the diaper rash cream over hers after it's wiped to keep the moisture off of it.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Both Tyro and Ru get this from time to time. I expect its from then inserting their nose in their water pail almost to the eyeballs when they drink and getting all wet. We use Vetericyn spray on it for a few days until it clears up. And yes, they do think I'm trying to drown them when I get a spray bottle near their face! Like the sounds of Tsuni's baby cream a lot better!

Thank you so much, Tsunibear and Antonia!

His chin is looking much better today. I'm going to keep it clean and keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse again, I'll have the vet check it out next week when he goes in for his vaccines.

Again, thank you!

This is what it looked like last night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3348.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	8457

He has an appointment to have it looked at on Thursday. It still doesn't seem to bother him much, but I made the mistake of looking at the veterinary version of Web MD (I should know better), and, well, I really really really hope that they are wrong.

Hopefully, whatever he has going on is not that serious, and will go away soon, without invasive treatment.

I'm glad it seems to look worse than it feels for him.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

SM....I think the fact that it doesn't bother him works in his/your favor...

will be anxious...as I'm sure you are, to find out what the heck this thing is!!

sometimes the internet can be a bad thing for the imagination!!!

Tsunibear`s Photos

I feel like web MD is a site that I should be able to ban in my house because, the JFO gets on there and all of a sudden Missy has cancer, the kittens have intestinal blockage and he has a rare case of gang green.

I hope it's nothing serious.

Sorry I didn't update this yesterday. I wanted to leave Patrick's loving tribute to Jack as the top thread for a bit.

The vet thinks that Sebastian may have had an allergic reaction to the fancy elevated water bowl I got him for Christmas, and developed a secondary infection. The bowl itself is stainless steel, and he has several stainless steel bowls, but who knows? I know I am deathly allergic to nickel, and break out in hives from belt buckles. I am going to see if I can find a different bowl to fit in the fancy stand, as he really does seem to love drinking from a raised container.

She gave me some medicated wipes to clean his chin twice a day (that's fun), and he's on antibiotics for the next two weeks.

It's already looking much much better.

I need to find a content blocker for Pet MD, as they really had me scared out of my mind. Still, I'm glad I got it checked out, anyways!

Thank you all so very much!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

He is such a sensitive boy!!!

Glad you found the source...hope you find another bowl...

I wonder if it makes a difference what the stainless steel content is in the bowl?....

Tsunibear`s Photos

Man SM we must be related somehow...I am highly allergic to nickel...like break out in blister hives bad and can't wear jeans with buttons on them bad. I have other allergies too, but we won't go there...let's just say my allergies make me funner then a barrel of monkeys.

Does his chin touch the actual holder? It might not be the bowls but, the stand is what I am trying to say.