Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

slick61`s Photos

Default Wiley got neutered today...

just in time for Christmas... not a very nice present, but timing works, as I'll be off for the next week to keep an eye on him. The Vet said everything went very well (internal sutures, external adhesive/glue). Also had Vet x-ray hips (for dysplasia) while Wiley was "under". Vet said hips were excellent... perfect, in fact... so that's good. He looked so pitiful when I went in to pick him up... no acknowledgement whatsoever. He officially hates me now. Got him in the truck ok, but had to get my neighbor to help me get him OUT... in the pouring rain, no less. He's been crashed for the past few hours, though he woke up once to bark at something. Hasn't touched his food or water yet. Glad he got a good dinner last night. Don't think he's got bladder control quite yet. Can't really see it (emerald green carpet... bleh), but I can smell it. Hate to take him out in the pouring rain... hope this front passes quickly. Wish I had put down the tarp & sheet before we got home, but wasn't counting on this weather. Looks like I'll be steam cleaning carpets next week. Like most Vets, he wants the cone on for 14 days... at least 7 days... we'll see. I made John take him in this morning, as I'm always the "bad guy", but it didn't seem to matter. Oh well. He seems to be doing ok, tho I still feel VERY guilty. Think we'll BOTH need therapy after this!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

If it makes you feel any better, my first cat as an adult, Ramone, was neutered on his first Birthday.

Wiley definitely does not hate you. He's still just a bit groggy from the anesthesia. He should be feeling more like himself tomorrow.

You have nothing to feel guilty about. Dogs don't have the same emotional attachment to their "little bits" that humans do. If Wiley is anything like Chester, he will be calmer, less threatened by other male dogs, and finally able to focus on things other than finding lady dog friends having their special lady dog times. Chester also was able to refrain from humping my leg and Sebastian's face after his neuter. Sebastian and I were both thankful for that.

Wishing Wiley a speedy recovery, and both of you a wonderful holiday!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Wishing Wiley a speedy recovery. Hopefully he'll be much better today already!!

Some of these guys don't need the cone on all the time. Bro had a cone on for exactly 24 hours. Had to take it off because he was wrecking the house with it. He never bothered the incision site.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

the cone lasted about 5 hours... he couldn't (or wouldn't) eat or drink with it on. Adopted Christi's idea (Thank You Christi!) with an old pair of boxers... so Wiley's got his "Butch's Britches" on now. The Vet said to cut food to 1/3 for the first day... which I did... Wiley was NOT having it... stood at his (now empty) food bowl for over an hour whilst looking back at me... which was NOT fun at 2 AM...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by slick61 View Post
    the cone lasted about 5 hours... he couldn't (or wouldn't) eat or drink with it on. Adopted Christi's idea (Thank You Christi!) with an old pair of boxers... so Wiley's got his "Butch's Britches" on now. The Vet said to cut food to 1/3 for the first day... which I did... Wiley was NOT having it... stood at his (now empty) food bowl for over an hour whilst looking back at me... which was NOT fun at 2 AM...
    Sounds like he is well on the road to recovery!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Don't let Wiley's look fool you...nor let it intimidate you....he will pick up on your feelings & react accordingly...

each day will get easier for both of you, and as Sebastians Mom says, hope that this will help him relax, focus & be calmer....

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Yeah Missy never wore the cone really either. No one wants to eat or drink in them so it's kinda silly to say "Wear it for two weeks." Glad to hear it all went well hoping for a speedy recovery.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

I'd say he's pretty much back to normal now... his eyes look better, & he seems to have shaken the effects of the anaesthesia. The hard part is keeping him calm, & keeping the walks on the shorter side. For the most part, he's leaving the wound alone. I've caught him trying to lick it a few times when he doesn't have his "britches" on. He's sleeping quite a bit, which is more than I can say for myself. Knew last night would be bad, but hoping there's no more walks between midnight & 6 AM.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

Wiley got a bad case of diarrhea on x-mas eve... ended up taking him out every hour or two all night long. Consequently, only got a [very] few hours of sleep. Not sure if it was an after-effect of the anaesthesia or if he licked the wound & that made him sick. Otherwise, he was in good spirits... wanting to play, etc. Gave him rice, broth, & boiled hamburger (with a little kibble mixed in) for dinner last night. He's better today... firm poopies on his 6 AM walk.

Jewel`s Photos

Good thing it was during your off week, you have the time to make up sleep. Sounds like Wiley is recovering perfectly normally. Losing some sleep comes with the territory when you sign up to take Wiley in as your family member. We've all been there, some more than others. Focus on the fact that Wiley is doing well, enjoy each moment you have with him.