Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Christi`s Photos

Default To feed or not to feed

So I have noticed an upswing in Apollo's eating. For the longest time he was eating around 2 to 3 cups of food a day, in the last month he has started asking for more food. I am going to estimate he is eating 4 to 5 cups a day. Now his body condition is still very lean. If I press lightly I can feel his hips, and I can still sort of feel space between his ribs. I can easily feel ribs. So I know he is still slightly thin. I do know that you want to feel ribs but not the space between them, and it seems we are well on the way to getting those gone. It is also winter, and cold and he does generally eat more during the winter months. Should I start backing off some now? I also remember that we keep them lean because of growth plates and that sort of thing, now that he is full grown is that still a concern because of Hip dysplasia? I wouldn't mind him putting on a bit more weight, but I don't want to create issues by allowing him to gain to much. While I really like my Vet I sometimes question what he thinks. He doesn't seem to think weight is much of an issue with the bone disorders. His thinking is either he has the genes for it or he doesn't. Neither of Apollo's parents at this point have any issues. They are now close to 5 years old. Apollo himself has no issues at this time.

Jewel`s Photos

Weight could be an issue if they are really overweight. I generally prefer to keep my dogs on the bony side so I want to be able to feel ribs, shoulder blades a and hip bones without pressing down. But that's my preference. If you prefer Apollo to have a little bit of padding, that's fine too so long as you make sure he doesn't pack too much weight on. Now that he's neutered, he is likely to gain weight a bit more easily. That doesn't mean you can't keep it under control of course. Bro LOVED to eat, but I was very careful about portion control and he remained thin his whole life.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Ok, my guess would be he isn't overweight at all, but back before he was neutered he was a lot thinner. I noticed the appetite increase fairly recent, and I have also notice his face has changed. It seems softer. I am not sure that is the best way to explain. His expression seems different. Tommy suggested maybe its because of weight gain. But I am not sure if its that, or maturity or that he is becoming more affectionate. I am going to try and get a picture, but my phone is giving me issues so I am not sure that I can. I will keep an eye on his eating and his body condition.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Christi....he is also maturing....filling out so to speak....

Rudy still weighs the same, but has muscle definition instead of puppy weight...if that makes sense

Rudy is 74 pounds at 4 years old, and only gets 2 cups of food a day (okay with some "condiments" on the kibble, but only a couple of tablespoons worth) tho he's never had the health issues that Apollo has, so keeping him lean is something I like to do.....our Nick was very over weight in his first year...my fault....I always wonder if that led to his cancer....