Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Jack's not due for anything until this time next years. There is a possibility that he had a slight case of Parvo from the shots. Each shot made it progressively worse. It's guess work at this point. We continue to work to get him well. Thanks again
    I highly recommend doing a titer test next year and seeing if he is actually due for the shot or not that way. Reality is some of these shots can stay in the dog's system for years before needing to actually be updated. I have a customer who has only given her dog two parvo shots after his initial parvo shots as a puppy and he is now 12 years old. So that's a shot every 3-6 years. She gets a titer test done every year though.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    I highly recommend doing a titer test next year and seeing if he is actually due for the shot or not that way. Reality is some of these shots can stay in the dog's system for years before needing to actually be updated. I have a customer who has only given her dog two parvo shots after his initial parvo shots as a puppy and he is now 12 years old. So that's a shot every 3-6 years. She gets a titer test done every year though.
    Thanks for this. I did do some research and found an informative article on the Titer Test. I have included the link if anyone is interested. This is the direction I'm going to follow with this dog.
    http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...titer_test.htm

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Great article...thanks for sharing!

Jewel`s Photos

I did titers some years back because I didn't think annual boosters were really necessary once the dog's reached 3-4 yrs old. The titers cost just as much as the shots. But I was forced to put them back on shots because boarding facilities required annual shots. Ugh. But since then, one of the facilities we use has dropped the requirement so long as the owner signs a waiver. I was pretty happy about that.

Puppy (New Member)

Christmas Eve update on Jack. Well, it looks like Jack is getting better. Thanks to all of you for your advise and insight. Jack cannot handle dog food at this point so we finally arrived at a food solution. He is eating boiled chicken, sweet potato and pasta wizzed up in a nutra bullet. We feed him about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of this mash about every 3-4 hours. He has perked up tremendously, chewing his horse hoof and grumbling at Charlie for getting to close. Normal puppy things are coming back. His eyes are still a problem, we continue to give him eye drops twice a day. Tho he still cannot see very well, his vision is returning. So, Merry Christmas to you all.........Also, we are giving him a dose of Nuri-Cal once a day.

Jewel`s Photos

So happy to hear that Jack is improving. Can't imagine how tough it must have been for you and family. May Jack's remaining road to full recovery be a smooth one.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Thanks for the update on Jack...

so good to hear you have found a food solution that works for him...hope he continues to get stronger & return back to his puppy self...

a healthy puppy...best Christmas gift ever...

may yours be blessed and the New year bring much mischief and puppy antics!

Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I am thrilled to hear that Jack is continuing to improve, and that you have found a (delicious) solution to his intolerance for dog food. Jack is very fortunate to have such a wonderful, caring family.

I can not begin to imagine how awful and terrifying this has been for your whole family.

Sebastian, Chester, and I wish you a very Merry Christmas, and a New Year filled with Health and puppy antics.

Thank you for taking such wonderful care of him, and for the happy update.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian