Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Serious Reaction to Parvo Immunization.

Jack is an 18 month old Great Pyr that appears to have had a serious allergic reaction to Parvo Immunizations. (Leptospirosis Injections.) Each time we took him in for the next series of shots his condition got worse. Diarria, lethargy and now his eyes have clouded over and he is nearly blind. We have him under our Vets care giving him Benadrill and eyes drops to clear the eyes. Has anyone experienced this allergic reaction from the Parvo Vaccine.

After 10 days of care he is rallying. He has more zip, his eyes are starting to clear and his stools are somewhat firmer. But the unfortunate thing is he missed being a puppy. He is a beautiful dog, caring and accepts what we are doing for him. I'm interested if anyone eles has experience this and what you may have done differently.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome, Steve, and Jack. I am so very sorry that you are going through this with him. I hope that he is able to make a full recovery quickly. I can't imagine how awful this must be for Jack and everyone who loves him.

Did Jack receive the DAPPL combo shot? That is the one that vaccinates against Distemper, Adenovirus, Parainfluenza, Parvo, and Leptospirosis. Our vet gives the DAPP combo, and gives the Lepto vaccine separately.

If Jack did have the DAPPL, I would suspect that it was the Lepto portion that caused such a nasty reaction. The Lepto vaccine has a reputation for causing bad reactions.

Sebastian had a very very mild reaction to the Lepto vaccine, nothing like what Jack has experienced, and now we make sure that when he gets his Lepto shot, it is the only shot he gets within that particular month, and it is preceded with a dose of Benadryl.

I am not a vet. I am not an expert. Normally, I am very very pro-vaccine. However, given the severity of Jack's reactions, if he were my dog, I would be talking to the vet about if our part of the country and Jack's lifestyle put him at enough risk of contracting Lepto to make the risk of the vaccine worth it.

If you and your vet agree that the best course of action is to continue vaccinating him against Lepto, I would definitely have them give Jack the DAPP combo, and then the Lepto vaccine on a different day.

Please keep us posted on Jack's recovery.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Steve & Jack.....so sorry to hear that Jack is suffering with this reaction....does the vet agree with you that the reaction is to the lepto shot?

My vet is the same way as Sebastians Mom...she will give the lepto separate....don't have to have a vet administer it,it can be vet tech,so with my vet there is only a charge for the shot.

Again, agree with SM....talk with your vet about the necessity of giving Jack this shot....

He still has a lot of puppy in him yet....hope he is up to some mischief soon!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Oh poor guy!! So sorry he has went through this. I have never even heard of a reaction like that. Only thing I can offer, is to give him a spoonful of pumpkin after a loose stool to try and firm it up. My boy is a parvo survivor and had his fair share of pumpkin. Its great stuff, fixes both hard or soft stools, and dogs love it.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Welcome, Steve, and Jack. I am so very sorry that you are going through this with him. I hope that he is able to make a full recovery quickly. I can't imagine how awful this must be for Jack and everyone who loves him.

Did Jack receive the DAPPL combo shot? That is the one that vaccinates against Distemper, Adenovirus, Parainfluenza, Parvo, and Leptospirosis. Our vet gives the DAPP combo, and gives the Lepto vaccine separately.

If Jack did have the DAPPL, I would suspect that it was the Lepto portion that caused such a nasty reaction. The Lepto vaccine has a reputation for causing bad reactions.

Sebastian had a very very mild reaction to the Lepto vaccine, nothing like what Jack has experienced, and now we make sure that when he gets his Lepto shot, it is the only shot he gets within that particular month, and it is preceded with a dose of Benadryl.

I am not a vet. I am not an expert. Normally, I am very very pro-vaccine. However, given the severity of Jack's reactions, if he were my dog, I would be talking to the vet about if our part of the country and Jack's lifestyle put him at enough risk of contracting Lepto to make the risk of the vaccine worth it.

If you and your vet agree that the best course of action is to continue vaccinating him against Lepto, I would definitely have them give Jack the DAPP combo, and then the Lepto vaccine on a different day.

Please keep us posted on Jack's recovery.
    Thanks for your reply. It's hard to narrow down what exactly caused it but his condition got worse after each vaccine. So, will have to carry on more conversation with our Vet. They feel as bad as we do as this is a highly unusual reaction. Our dogs travel with us and we frequent parks, boat lauches where there is alot of dog traffic so the vaccine is a safeguard. This is our first Great Pyr, our dogs have always been hounds and Labs. He is a nice boy.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    Oh poor guy!! So sorry he has went through this. I have never even heard of a reaction like that. Only thing I can offer, is to give him a spoonful of pumpkin after a loose stool to try and firm it up. My boy is a parvo survivor and had his fair share of pumpkin. Its great stuff, fixes both hard or soft stools, and dogs love it.
    Thanks for the reply. Are you using canned or fresh pumpkin. We game to try anything that helps this condition along.
    Last edited by Steve; 12-15-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Oh I use canned just need one or 2 spoonfuls.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    Oh I use canned just need one or 2 spoonfuls.
    Thanks Christi........

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sebastian's reaction was so mild that I probably would have missed it had the vet not called to check up on him the next day (they follow up after every visit, even if it's just a routine check-up or vaccination). He was a little lethargic, and I could tell he just wasn't 100%. It was such a non-event, I don't even remember exactly when it was, only that I now have to stagger his shots and give him Benadryl before he gets his Lepto.

One thing you can talk to your vet about is drawing titers to check for immunity when he is due for his next round of shots. There is a lot of conflicting information out there about the length of time immunity lasts after vaccines are given, and not all of the information is from particularly reliable sources, so drawing titers may be a good way to ensure he is protected while minimizing the risk of another bad reaction. Also, I would talk to the vet about staggering future vaccines, and giving Lepto at a separate time from the Combo.

And I agree with Christi about the pumpkin. Sebastian is also a Parvo survivor, and we battled soft stools for much of his puppyhood and adolescence. I kept him on a rotation of pumpkin and sweet potato (both canned, but not pie filling), and it helped a lot.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Sebastian's reaction was so mild that I probably would have missed it had the vet not called to check up on him the next day (they follow up after every visit, even if it's just a routine check-up or vaccination). He was a little lethargic, and I could tell he just wasn't 100%. It was such a non-event, I don't even remember exactly when it was, only that I now have to stagger his shots and give him Benadryl before he gets his Lepto.

One thing you can talk to your vet about is drawing titers to check for immunity when he is due for his next round of shots. There is a lot of conflicting information out there about the length of time immunity lasts after vaccines are given, and not all of the information is from particularly reliable sources, so drawing titers may be a good way to ensure he is protected while minimizing the risk of another bad reaction. Also, I would talk to the vet about staggering future vaccines, and giving Lepto at a separate time from the Combo.

And I agree with Christi about the pumpkin. Sebastian is also a Parvo survivor, and we battled soft stools for much of his puppyhood and adolescence. I kept him on a rotation of pumpkin and sweet potato (both canned, but not pie filling), and it helped a lot.
    I appreciate both yours and Christi's input. We just had a talk about staggering the shots and being a bit more attentive to the reaction to them. This is a first for us. We've always had hound and Lab pups and they took to shots with no reaction. Jack's not due for anything until this time next years. There is a possibility that he had a slight case of Parvo from the shots. Each shot made it progressively worse. It's guess work at this point. We continue to work to get him well. Thanks again