Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight and Size

Puppy (New Member)

Default Weight and Size

I am an new owner of Pyr. I have had my pup for about 12 weeks. I am worried that he isn't growing like he is suppose to.

He is exactly 4 months 1 week and 4 days old and weights only 36lbs. There is another Pyr pup at my vet that is only 5 days older and is extremely bigger in overall size and weight.

Can any experienced Pyr owners tell me if there is something wrong or if he is just a runt. Some of the vet techs said he just hasn't hit his growth spurt yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The Big Dawg (Administrator) risestar's Avatar

risestar`s Photos

He sounds a fair bit undersize, what are you feeding him? It should be a high protein large breed puppy feed for best results.

An average pup at 3 months will be about as big as a lab or golden retriever and about 45-50 lbs. It could be he is a late bloomer. Occassionally, you find one that has a dwarfism condition, but this is apparent in the parents as well so it is fairly rare.

If its a female, she will be smaller than a male, but still should be around 45 lbs by this point. Try switching the feed to a high quality one like Iams or Eucanuba large breed puppy formula until 12 months

Puppy (New Member)

I have a 16 week old puppy that weighs 35 pounds. He only weighed 18 pounds when we got him at 10 weeks. After worming him twice, he seems to be gaining weight each week to his current status. We are feeding him Purina One Large Breed Puppy food. Do you think he will catch up to weigh what he is supposed to weigh? His parents seemed to be healthy, very large adults ( the dad was 130 pounds).

risestar`s Photos

yes, you have plenty of time, worms can have a big effect on a puppy, make sure you follow up with another worming in another month.

Put him on a high protein large breed puppu food and you will be fine.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Wink underweight pups

Regarding the underweight puppies - does everyone know that your puppies should be getting about 7-8 cups of food per day - I didn't, but learned it while Pyr surfing - and yes, givem the good stuff ie. IAMS

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Regarding the underweight puppies - does everyone know that your puppies should be getting about 7-8 cups of food per day - I didn't, but learned it while Pyr surfing - and yes, givem the good stuff ie. IAMS

Smile

hey everyone. i was just wondering if there was anything like a "growth chart" for the great pyr pups. i know they can range a great deal in weight from one pup to the next but i just wanted to get an idea of my 6 month old females "ideal weight." she is currently weighing in at 75 lbs. her mother was around 100-115 and her father was HUGE weighing about 150 - 160 lbs. does anyone know what i might expect her to reach being that female are generally smaller than males? my husband is absolutely convinced she'll be as big as her daddy (i think he's dreaming)
    Ashley

risestar`s Photos

75lbs for a female 6 months is a good weight. You generally don't want them to get too large as the lifespan is shorter and also there are more health problems for the really large pyrs.

Thanks, the vet said she's not overweight, just big. (like I didn't already know). I was just curious from a breeders standpoint what to expect once she's full grown considering the size of her parents. Most people I talk to with fully grown female pyr's say they are right around 100 pounds, but my vet says she'll probably get around 150. However, he also said he hasn't cared for too many pyr's?!?!
    Ashley

Puppy (New Member)

I have a large female that weighs in at 130, yet at times I think she maybe a tad underweight. We feed her a high protein, including brown rice, chicken livers and mixed veggies. In full fur she looks monstrous, but while grooming I get nervous when I see/feel ribs. She was a rescue so I know nothing about her parents. She has great musculature and is an active utility dog, working hard as an LGD (with dairy/meat goats) as well as a loving member of our family.
    I have seen Pyrs up to 180 pounds (not overweight either) and as small as 100 pounds or less. Some of the largest Pyrs I have seen are also some of the most athletic. Point is, let your eyes and gut instinct be the judge, Great Pyrs seem to fit no particular mold. If there are no underlying health issues, don't worry about it.