Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Picky Puppy?? Help!!

My puppy, Arlo is half Great Pyr/Half Akbash.

At his 4 month vet check this week, he weighs in at only 40 pounds. I give him the recommended 7 3/4 cups of food per day as advised on my Purina Large Breed puppy chow, but he doesn't seem interested. He will eat some of his food, but most of the time there is still quite a bit left in his bowl at the end of the day. I have tried mixing a bit of my other dogs Ellie (Great Pyrenees/St.Bernard) Pedigree into his food and that seems to help a bit, but my veterinarian advised against it. I feel he is underweight, but my veterinarian said that he doesn't seem underweight, and is definitely not malnourished.

I have never had this issue with any dog before, and even my other dog Ellie scarfs her food as soon as you tell her its hers.

I guess my question is, how do you get your slow eating picky dog to finish his bowl of food? Or if I do need to change foods to gain his interest, what type of large breed puppy chow would you advise?

Jewel`s Photos

Why do you feel it's necessary for him to gain more weight if your vet says he's not underweight and definitely not malnourished?

It is not unusual for a pyr to be a picky eater. I've actually not met one that's allegedly picky who is malnourished. If your vet is not concerned, I would not be either. It takes a pyr 4 years to fully physically mature. The fact that a pup is not heavy doesn't mean he is underweight.

I have a 10 week old right now. He's eating about 2.5 cups of kibbles a day. That's as much as I can get him to eat without adding stuff to his kibbles to encourage eating more. You can feel his ribs and other bones, but at the rate he is growing, it is inevitable that he feels a little bit bony. At 4 months your pup is growing at a phenomenal rate. For him to feel a bit bony is not necessarily an indication that he's underweight. A roly poly chunky monkey puppy is not always good for their joint development.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome CassandraS & Arlo!!

I would agree with Jewel....he sounds like he's a good weight, and if the vet thinks he looks good....then I would say you have little to be concerned about.

Most Pyr's can be picky eaters... and 7 3/4 cups sounds like alot of food for a little one to consume! Rudy ate about 4+ cups a day when he was Arlo's age...his breeder did not believe in puppy food, even the large breed formula....

So, let Arlo eat the amount he wants. If you want to try another food maybe your pet store would let you take some samples home to try & see if he prefers anything else. There are several quality foods on the market, my advise would be to choose one that fits Arlo's taste buds & your bank account...as well as the proper amount of nutrients for a growing puppy.

When you get a chance...a photo of your boy would be most welcomed!

Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha is my pyr's Avatar

All good advice from above. Sasha was and still is a very picky eater. We have tried lots of different foods...finally found this freeze dried raw food we sprinkle on top of her food and add a bit of water. Pyr's will always eat what they want, when they want. But...as said above...if the vet is happy, don't worry.
    See...Pyrs can behave ;-)

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

Sounds like Arlo has the typical Pyr stubbornness! I think a lot of us have been through that... my Wiley is a picky eater as well. I tried any number of different foods. He still doesn't eat like I think he should (88 lbs at 27 months), but he's healthy & happy. He came from working lines on both sides, so it doesn't surprise me that he's on the lean side. I know he LOVES freeze-dried liver, so I crumble some liver treats (powder, really) into his food & mix it in to get him to eat. Making his dinner is quite the ordeal. Half Holistic Select, half Zignature... then I cook some brown rice in beef broth (unsalted). I crumble a Stella & Chewy's beef paddy into the rice/broth, mix all that in with his kibble, then sprinkle some "liver dust" on top. He still leaves some in his bowl, but frequently licks it clean at night. He definitely seems to eat more after neutering, but not a lot. It's a process... you'll just have to find what works for you... AND Arlo...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha is my pyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slick61 View Post
    He definitely seems to eat more after neutering, but not a lot. It's a process... you'll just have to find what works for you... AND Arlo...
    Funny, I have noticed Sasha after being spayed is more likely to eat ...wonder why?
    See...Pyrs can behave ;-)