Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New Pyr - Input would be appreciated.

Hello All,

I have been browsing this forum and there is a lot of great information shared. Thanks to everyone for the great base to learn from!!

We adopted a 2 year old about 2 weeks ago and she is our first Pyr, Gracie. She came from a rescue that has a great deal of experience with the breed and they are very familiar with us and the way work with dogs. Long story short, our Saint Bernard lost his life long companion to cancer in the spring and has become shy and withdrawn. A companion was what we were looking for. The rescue only had Gracie for a day or two and she needed help. Fleas, mats, urinary tract infection, underweight, the works, however, her disposition was absolutely perfect. Multiple trips to the groomers, vet, etc. cleaned up the immediate issues and she is back to full strength.

Everyone who worked with her said how easy going she was. We are strong believers in strong socialization and immersed her with lots of people (adults and kids) both inside our homes and out (we took her with us to dinner and she loved the attention all the passerbys gave her!!). With other dogs she was just as good. Our Saint and the 2 neighbors dogs (all in the same fence) quickly sorted out their positions without a fight and are now a playful pack inside or out. We have met many people and dogs on our walks and Gracie just wants to be friends with everyone. She even will walk by within a few feet of a squirel and take my lead that it is not anything that needs to be chased. A few day care visits to test how she would do and the operators said that she loved everyone and wanted her to be the dog that met the new entrants. Point being, I just wanted to set the stage that she is very easy going.

Where we could use some input is with the behavior at night. For the first two weeks she slept soundly with some minor barking but went right back to bed when reassured everything was ok. The last two nights she has been up on the kitchen counter looking out the window and whining and did not settle down for quite a long time. I have done a bit of research about the nocturnal protective nature nature of the Pyrs but have not seen any behavioral methods to work with her on it.

Right now our plans are 1) acknowledge that she has seen something, 2) give her reassurance that it is not something that she needs to be concerned about and 3) remind her that it is bed time and take her back to her bed (of course with a "Good Night Gracie" A la George Burns).

What do your think? Is this setting a bad pattern that we will get up when she makes a fuss or is it teaching here that there are some things that she need not be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Karen, Gracie & St.!

Thank you so much for taking this girl in & giving her security & care, sounds like she is going to give back as much as she is given!

2 weeks is not a long time to settle into a new home....as you know...my guess is that she was quiet because she wasn't really settled & was unsure of herself & her new surroundings...now she is getting more comfortable, however she still can't decide what is a threat & what isn't sound wise

your ideas seem very sound for her right now....you are all learning together....
    can you give her some "white" noise...a fan...a low radio...something to block out the outside stimulus...
    even giving her a crate to go into...making it a "safe"spot for her putting light sheets on it to make it more "den" like might help her

I think by going & reassuring her that 1) you appreciate her letting you know there's a "threat" 2)you checked & all is fine 3)we can all calm down now & get some rest....thank you Gracie!...this is all good...I don't think she will do this for the rest of her life, so hopefully this shall pass!

And....one day..there may really be a threat out there & you will be glad that she alerts you!

Keep us informed on how she continues to develop & settle into your home

Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Moose was 7 when we adopted him 2 years ago. Or that is the age he was believed to be. He was actually found stealing food from a salad bar at an open air café on the River Walk in San Antonio. So no way or really knowing his background. One thing we have found out is if does not, repeat NOT want a hawk, osprey or Eagle where he can see it coming our way. He ignores all other birds, large doves, grackles, gulls, pigeons, etc. But he raises a ruckus if he spots a bird of prey.

Last week our patio door was open and a female grackle flew in and got into the kitchen and was in the kitchen window trying to get out. Moose was raising a ruckus, even trying to get on the counter after her. I caught her and turned her loose outside. Later he was laying on the patio and there must have been at least 50 of them no more than 10 feet from him, making all that noise they make and he never even looked their way. He knew that bird did not belong in the house and he was going to get it out one way or another.

Some nights he seems to jump up barking every 10 minutes, other nights we never hear a peep out of him. When he barks we yell at him "enough" and he will stop--until the next noise 10 minutes later.

Thanks for adopting. Our last 4 dogs we4re adopted--2 golden retrievers and 2 Pyr, one blind.
    Jerry and Moose

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karen1122 View Post
    Right now our plans are 1) acknowledge that she has seen something, 2) give her reassurance that it is not something that she needs to be concerned about and 3) remind her that it is bed time and take her back to her bed (of course with a "Good Night Gracie" A la George Burns).
    How have things been going? It is not a surprise that she became more assertive as she got stronger with proper food and shelter. Your approach sounds perfectly logical. Many of these guys need to taught to sleep through the night. I taught all of mine to do that. That is not to say that I discouraged barking when alarming us was appropriate. I just wanted them to sleep instead of patrolling the house all night.

Recently we dog sat a friend's pyr and that guy patrolled the house throughout the night. He didn't pace all night, rather he'd take naps and then would walk from one end of the house to the other 4-5 times a night. At least once a night he'd come to check on us. Sometimes he just stood at our bedroom doorway and looked but other times he would actually get up close and stare at our faces. I thought it was rather cute and endearing, but since I'm a light sleeper he woke me up with the patrolling every night.

Road Dawg

We have had Teddy for 8 months, he is finally settling in at night.every night as soon as the sun went down his tail would come up and he was in gaurdian mode and very anxious ,panting and pacing and barking. After 5 months of that and many talks with our Vet we put him on a low dose of Xanax at night and it worked! He was even happier during the day.
    I was really opposed to the idea at first but 5 months was a long time of not sleeping.
    We have progressed to just sleeping with a fan on,windows closed.We used to leave the TV on with soothing music.Sometimes the only way he would settle was if one of us slept in his bed with him.

He is otherwise a perfect dog and personality wise sounds very much like your girl. He loves meeting people and other dogs,I had to teach him not to chase cars while we walk. For some reason he really hates School buses but loves kids so we are working on that

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

How much exercise is your girl getting? Is she sleeping a lot during the day? These dogs are naturally nocturnal so she might need help staying awake and having her energy drained during the say so she is ready for some serious sleep at night. My three are working dogs and up all night but if I need to have them in, I make sure they have had enough mental and physical exercise to make them reasonably tired. Nothing you are describing sounds abnormal, just like she might need help shutting down at night so she is sleeping when you are. When mine are inside at night, they do not have the run of the house but sleep with me in my room with the door closed. I run an air purifier that makes enough white noise to muffle sounds from outside. I also run my overhead fan at top speed regardless of the time of year because they sleep better when it is cool. I have occasionally used a Tryptophan supplement to help calm them down if they are really wired. Works pretty well and does not make them groggy or upset stomachs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Hi Karen and Gracie

to me it sounds like from your description of her arriving at the rescue. i would think, she thinks, she is not supposed to be inside. that in some way that it might be something she was not allowed to do in her past. during the clean up and feeding she was tired and worn out. i would try a night light, something soothing. she is in new surroundings and still settling in to her new forever home. Jack was a rescue at 2 and in good shape when we got him. it took about 9 months for him to feel like he fit in and it was his home. i think the best is ahead for you and Gracie albeit and adjustment period and ST ????

patrick

Young Dawg (Member)

Thank you everyone for your informative replies!!

Sorry for the delay in updating the situation but we were away for a bit.

Gracie continues to make progress. She sleeps through the night most days with a bit of patrolling, but the whining has stopped. Occasionally, she gets up on the counter to look out a window that overlooks our vegtable garden, but I attribute that to the amount of deer that it attracts. Every once an a while she will alert for a noise (when we are sleeping or awake there does not seem to be a pattern) but calms down right away after we acknowledge her.

As for fitting in, Gracie and our Saint are growing closer over time. There are a few issues like when she got near his food bowl position when we were preparing dinner, but it was only one quick bark and everything was right again. They both are confident enough to push each other out of the way to get closer to our attentions, but never any retaliation or aggression. Walks together are good and she has started to want to play when Moose and our neighbor's dogs are romping around. (On that note I do have a question about play later on in this post). Gracie is very tolerant of the cat and really seems to ignore them. Yesterday one of the kittens was approaching her head from the rear as she was lying down, smelling and then even tapped her head with her paw - no response and I am sure Gracie knew the cat was there.

One interesting thing that I did not previously mention was that Gracie and Moose primarily live in two different houses next door to each other. This is where they sleep during the week and then are together sleeping during the weekends. Up to now, they have been together in the same house only when we are there. This is mainly Gracie at the house where Moose sleeps all the time. When we first got her, she did give Moose a bit of a "this is my bed" when he intruded but nothing bad and Moose has never forgotten it so we need some work on him at "her" house. During the day a dog walker comes by to let each out and we are going to try leaving them together this week unsupervised. I have not seen any signs that this will be a problem. Now they are sharing toys, beds and eating together without any issues. Last night I even saw Gracie lying next to Moose resting her head on his body.

A number of comments seem to be right on the money:
    pjcii - you are correct that she was an outside only dog from what we have heard about her prior life. Now she is adapting pretty well to life inside. She is very well house trained and has not caused any damage. She was told once that the couch and bed are not hers and now does not even try to get on them. Both Gracie and Moose have full run of the house.

Antonia - As told above, we do have a dog walker come by during the day. Recently we have been supplementing this a few days a week with day care. We do notice that when she is more tired out, there is less patrolling so even the days she stays home we are giving her longer walks for more exercise.

Lisa P - Gracie continues to love all new people and animals!! She has not found someone she does not cuddle right up to. I am thinking of putting her up for a Greeter's job!!! Right now we are only letting her play with our pack in a fenced in area.

And now if you don't mind, I have noticed one thing that the groups input on would be welcomed. Gracie seems to be pretty rough when she is playing with regard to her playful nips. Every other dog I have known really seems to control this well, but she nips quite hard. We are working on giving here feedback on this but I don't know if it is the breed or individual dog. Feedback would be welcomed.

Thanks again everyone

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Is she nipping people?

Young Dawg (Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Is she nipping people?
    Yes, but only when the people instigate play. It is also in 2 forms: 1 an arm in her mouth where the pressure is a little hard but not anywhere near a bite and 2 a little nip on the arm when the person starts to rough house. In general she is a bit rough with people when they play with her but there is no sign of aggression at all. She will also stop right away when the person pulls back from play.