Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Help! Groomer shaved my pyr!

I took my pyr to be groomed as usual and they completely shaved her down to the skin. When I dropped her off at the same place we had been going for a year, seeing different groomers each time, we talked about cutting out any mats that couldn't be brushed. She didn't have many, but definitely a few tricky ones. The groomer suggested shaving her and I immediately objected and told him under no circumstance was she to be shaved.
    I've filed a complaint with the company, but now I'm looking for advice on what I can do for her. It's almost winter here in New England and she is going to freeze! I bought her a warm coat, which she's not thrilled with but is tolerating so far. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with something like this? Is there anything I can do to help her coat grow in faster- diet wise? I've read that it can take up to a year to fully grow in and it may never be the same..
    I'm so upset about this and feel awful that I let this happen to her, any and all advice appreciated. Thank you!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Ah this happened to my dad's maltese several years ago. My mom didn't want him shaved but my dad didn't care but specified no shaving but the groomer did it anyway. When he brought him home she was upset but got over it because his coat came back relatively quickly. When I called about what happened, they told me some of the matts were too close to the skin and cannot be removed unless they shaved it. So that was the offical explanation. Having groomed my parent's matlese myself, I can definitely understand why they did it because this little guy is terrible at the groomers.
    If your situation is different, I'd recommend going to another groomer. The same person should be really working on the dog. Call in advance asking for one specific person and see if they are working there. If you like one specific groomer, you can always ask them to come to you because they may offer grooming services on their own. Hope this helps!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Wow I am so sorry to hear that your Pyr was shaved I am not real sure what exact advice to give and would like to see more experienced owners or even a groomer chime in here. I do know that having a double coat makes it bad when a pyr is shaved down, but there are times when it has to be done. A lot of dogs in rescue have to be shaved because of skin disorders and/or excessive matting and in general the coat comes back ok.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Kait....this is an awful thing to read...so sorry that it happened to your girl

I would not only file a complaint with the company, but with the better business bureau in your area as well.....and if you are into social media, a post there wouldn't hurt either...get the word out that this company can not be trusted.

As far as her coat growing back in, it may grow in quicker due to the fact that winter is approaching...but one can never tell...you could start giving her some salmon/fish oil to help smooth out her coat when it does start growing in. And keeping on top of brushing it when it starts growing in....a large toothed comb or a very soft slicker brush, something that won't hurt her skin...

And by the way...welcome to the forum...please keep us informed on how she comes along & what happens with your complaint.

Nancy & Rudy

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! I am so sorry that you are going through this!

http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...aved-Great-Pyr!

I hope I'm not overstepping here, but I came across this thread that our resident groomer and coat care expert answered a while back, and thought I would share it in the hopes that it will help.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Road Dawg

When I got Teddy 7 months ago he had been shaved by the rescue because he was so matted. He looked like a poodle. 6 months later you would never know it,his coat has completely grown back and is very very thick. One thing I did was brush him every night because the fur that was left was like a tight wool carpet.i don't know if it helped it grow faster but it kept it from felting up.

I guess all you can do now is put the coat on her when she goes out if you think she's too cold but don't leave it on for extended periods of time because it could inhibit her own coat from growing.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Rena450`s Photos

How horrible ....... and I don't blame you one bit for being upset .....
    I agree with Nancy and Rudy's suggestions especially about the filing of complaints and the salmon oil (I swear by that stuff).

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

This upsets me as a groomer. I worked two matted Newfoundlands today...spot shaved them so they kept their coat and looked natural and spent at least an hour dematting each dog. I was covered in hair and the female was getting impatient, but I couldn't blame her. Unless the dog is 85% mats there is no reason to shave them. Usually it's just thick double coat and a good blow out will help loosen it up. I do hope you said something to this groomer because, it's not okay and I would be extremely mad if it happened to Missy.

Now I have some helpful tips to get the hair to grow back slightly faster. First of all you are going to want to put her on fish oil and vitamin E, both products help the skin and coat. Now there are shampoos out that will help promote hair growth and they do work, because I used them on myself and Missy. I ordered Mane and Tail herbal grow and in about a month I noticed my personal hair was thicker and about an inch longer and it usually takes two months to get that kind of growth. With Missy I used Eqyss Mega-Tek on her and it did help. The problem with shampoos and conditioners are that in the winter no one wants to bathe their dogs at home. You can also try putting her on the Missing Link Skin and Coat because, it is full of omega 3 and 6 and so it can also help. That's all Missy has had since her surgery and right now the spot that the vet shaved in a 50 blade is at a 7 blade length which is a huge improvement.

I wish I could offer you more suggestions. As her hair starts to grow back make sure you brush it daily because, if it is brushed out it will help keep room for the new hair to grow in healthier.

Young Dawg (Member) Falkor's mama's Avatar

Falkor's mama`s Photos

Well, I have read that you can stimulate hair growth by brushing the body with a brush (even if it is bare skin.) Take a human hair brush that is made of the flexible plastic/nylon bristles (so that is doesn't hurt the skin) and just gently brush. As far as diet, there is this stuff called Grizzly Krill Oil that you can pump on their food. It smells quite fishy though. Out of my 3 dogs, 2 like it and 1 won't touch it. It helps with conditioning skin, so maybe it will help.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

OMG... I'm going to have nightmares now... what a terrible thing to happen. Luckily, when I book online, I can always request the same groomer, & he knows just to do a bath & brush... and to make sure to trim the fur between his paw pads. My only nit to pick it that Wiley is usually wet behind the ears (no pun intended) when I pick him up. They always say he doesn't like the blower around the head/ears... and I always say "but that's where he needs drying the MOST, as that's where he usually mats (behind his ears). I realize it's not the end of the world, but still... it sucks. Hang in there!