Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Great! Thank you!

Puppy (New Member)

I appreciate the info! Thank you!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) CaseysMom's Avatar

CaseysMom`s Photos

Tsuni, I thought about you when I called a day care about taking the dogs in. I also asked about a sani trim for Casey and the guy asked me if I wanted his hair cut!!! I said no, I would never cut Casey's coat and just wanted the sani trim; he then said that a lot of owners with Pyrs SHAVE THEIR DOGS DURING THE SUMMER SO THEY WOULD BE COOLER!!

Their website says a sani trim is included with every bath, in addition to nail trim, anal express (if needed) and ear cleaning. Where I've had Casey groomed before, the sani trim alone was over $50 (and costs for everything there were less expensive than in Houston). Are there different kinds of sani trims? Casey has always had the hair around his anal area cut very short, his feathers and the hair between his pads trimmed, and it doesn't make sense that the sani trim would be included with every bath. ???

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

A sani trim should be just the anal area and the privates. If anything gets taken off of the feathers that's extra. For me I charge $45-50 for what I call a mini trim which is face, feet, privates and I trim the feathers up and clean up the long hairs on the belly. That also includes the bath, brush, cut and file the nails and clean the ears.

I want to say if a groomer ever tells you to shave your Pyr they are not the groomer for you. I do everything physically possible to prevent shaving a double coated dog. Like you don't understand the lengths I will go to not have to do that. I will do it if I absolutely have to but, that's only after I have tried every trick in my book to prevent it. You best believe that I have a lot of tricks up my sleeve too, sometimes they just don't work.
    Last edited by Tsunibear; 06-11-2017 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added

Jewel`s Photos

Yesterday a lady at the park told me that I "should shave" Ren for the summer. That irritated me. I told her that shaving exposes him to mosquito bites and sunburn. I really wanted to tell her it's none of her business.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseysMom View Post
    a lot of owners with Pyrs SHAVE THEIR DOGS DURING THE SUMMER SO THEY WOULD BE COOLER!!
    Yep, I know people that do that. As well as with all spaniels, goldens, aussies...

CaseysMom`s Photos

Tsuni, that's what I thought, although last time Casey got a sani trim they did everything you do in your mini trim. I was not too focused on my usual meticulous grooming of Casey during my last month in Killeen, and he has developed serious mats; one behind each ear that are almost touching his skin. I can brush out minor mats, but these are too much for me. He also has mats in the long hair in the back. So (sigh), I am going to have him bathed and trimmed (but NOT shaved, God forbid).

Are you sure you don't want to take a road trip to Texas? The only thing is, I'm sure all the forum members here wouldn't want to let you return home! My friend recommended a mobile groomer who does a very good job on her little Shih Tzu's, but Casey is too big for her; she says she can't lift him onto her grooming table. And Jewel, I knew about Pyrs' coats protecting them from the sun but never considered mosquito bites - and they're HORRIBLE here this year.

Tsunibear`s Photos

Dude if I could afford it I would so road trip to see my favorite dogs and give some TLC. One day when California realizes that taxing us twice for gas is wrong I might be able to do that, but right now it's so expensive to live here that if I didn't have the shop I would move in a New York minute. I would totally move to a place where 107 degrees isn't the norm.

Now with there being mats you have to be very specific that they don't shave them. You can shave the ear mats with very little effect on the coat because, that hair is super fine already. The back feathers are where you are going to have to be strict with them. I have seen groomers just shave all of the feathers, because they didn't feel like dematting them, in their eyes time is money so doing that is losing money for them. Legitimately I am losing money with how I charge to the amount of work I am putting in. What you need to understand about groomers is a lot of them realize they can make $20-$30 dollars an hour on a small dog it. Let's say you charge $45 for a poodle it takes you 2 hours to do it that's $22.50 right there. So if you take in 2 $45 dogs and get them done in 3 hours that's $30 an hour right there. Now for the bigger dogs they are more time consuming the 2 Newfies that I work on I charge $50 for the male and $40-45 for the female depending on her condition it takes me at least 4 hours usually 5 to demat, bathe, blow dry, trim and do their their nails. Yes that's $23.50 an hour assuming it takes me 4 hours, but in that time frame I could have done 4 $45 grooms and had less work, strips are always easier. It takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do a groom from start to finish assuming the dog doesn't poop everywhere making me start over again or it's not a hand scissor...hand scissors take way longer and I know I am getting screwed on those. With my Newfies they are matted and I spend an hour just brushing before they can even hit the tub. So you need to make sure you stay firm with no shaving of the feathers. Spot shaving is one thing, if they spot shave right you can never tell they did it because you still have thick feathering to hide it.

Be proactive take Casey in with you before you make the appointment let the groomer evaluate him before you set anything up, if I feel the dog before I make the appointment I can tell you what I can and can't do and discuss options for you. That's what you want to have done with Casey. Groomers don't like to be surprised as much as pet owners don't like it. So if you let her check him out first you and her won't have any surprises. Yes you might be charged more for the effort they are putting into it, but it's better then them ruining his coat.

Sad thing is after I posted all of those numbers it made me realize how much more money I could make if I didn't want to spend one on one time with each dog on my table. I don't like feeling rushed while grooming. I feel bonding with the dog is more important then making money so I take a hit by taking more time on them to make them feel more comfortable. At Petsmart I wasn't spending any time with the dog so it was all work no play. Then I was giving half of what I made away, most groomers get half of what they make, the other half goes to the shop owner so you have to realize out $22.50 an hour they only get half of it. Which is why they tend to over book themselves to level out that hourly fee. It also makes me realize that a hairstylist makes way more then me...my hair cost $100 and only took 2 hours that's $50 an hour...I should have done people hair instead. I wouldn't have to worry about being bit or peed on if I did people hair.

CaseysMom`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    The back feathers are where you are going to have to be strict with them. Be proactive take Casey in with you before you make the appointment let the groomer evaluate him before you set anything up, if I feel the dog before I make the appointment I can tell you what I can and can't do and discuss options for you. That's what you want to have done with Casey. Groomers don't like to be surprised as much as pet owners don't like it. So if you let her check him out first you and her won't have any surprises. Yes you might be charged more for the effort they are putting into it, but it's better then them ruining his coat.

I should have done people hair instead. I wouldn't have to worry about being bit or peed on if I did people hair.
    I wish I could take care of the mats myself, but I can't, so I will take your advice and have the groomer look at Casey and give me a price upfront. Since he decided to take a mudbath at the dog park the other day, I think I'll have them bathe him and do a sani trim first, then if I am ok with that, I'll book him for a true sani trim. But the mats behind his ears are not going away, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

And your last sentence about how you should have done people hair....that made me laugh, and I'm very grateful for that; I had a rough week at work!

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by CaseysMom View Post
    I wish I could take care of the mats myself, but I can't, so I will take your advice and have the groomer look at Casey and give me a price upfront. Since he decided to take a mudbath at the dog park the other day, I think I'll have them bathe him and do a sani trim first, then if I am ok with that, I'll book him for a true sani trim. But the mats behind his ears are not going away, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

And your last sentence about how you should have done people hair....that made me laugh, and I'm very grateful for that; I had a rough week at work!
    Yeah just be up front with the groomer and you should be okay as long as your groomer is an honest person.

Glad I could make you laugh. Let's see today I was bit three times by one dog and peed on and that's a good day for me.