Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by slick61 View Post
    My only nit to pick it that Wiley is usually wet behind the ears (no pun intended)
    LOL, as one who has done a lot of bathing my pyrs myself, I can attest that the fur behind the ears is really hard to dry. Tsuni can explain better but that fur behind the ears is so much finer than the rest of the body and just takes a lot longer to dry. They REALLY do not like the blower around their ears. Inevitably a blower aimed at the ears is going to be horribly loud for them, and the air around their ear canal cannot be very comfortable. I never insisted because they always seemed genuinely upset having the blower on their ears and my kids were bathed on average once a month so it wasn't as if they weren't used to being bathed and blown dry.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by slick61 View Post
    My only nit to pick it that Wiley is usually wet behind the ears (no pun intended) when I pick him up. They always say he doesn't like the blower around the head/ears... and I always say "but that's where he needs drying the MOST, as that's where he usually mats (behind his ears).
    Okay there is no excuse for them to not dry back there...unless it's matted cause matted hair takes four times longer to dry there is no excuse. They are using air force dryers and cage dryers. They can take the nozzle off of the air force dryer and put it on low then sit on the ground with the dog and just blow it until it's dry. They don't do it because, it's time consuming and they are put a time frame there. When you mentioned scheduling online for your appointment I felt to assume Wiley goes to Petsmart correct? When you drop him off they say it will take anywhere from 1-3 hours correct? If they went towards the longer time frame then he should be 100% dry. I have put my hand over the ear canal to make sure that spot is dry on a dog before. The hair there is so fine that if it isn't 100% dry it can tangle because, it will kink as it dries as opposed to being dried straight. There is a reason I tell all of my dog owners who might bathe their dog at home to brush the dog before the bath and after the bath...because, straight hair tangles less and if you get a mat wet it stays wet making more waves and tighter mats. So they need to dry that spot even if it takes a little while longer.

Puppy (New Member)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	8388
    The same thing happened to my 7 month old Great Pyr this weekend! I took her to the groomer to have some mats on her hind legs removed and to be trimmed around her feet and she came back with about 2" of fur left! I am so devastated it has made me sick.
    I'm interested in finding out how Kait's dog is doing now that it's been a month.
    My girl is pretty much an outdoor dog as that is what she prefers and I'm so worried with the cold and snow coming that she will freeze outside!
    Any thoughts on how bad of a hair cut she has and the likelihood of it growing back? And how long it might take? I'm hopeful since she is still so young that it will be back in no time!? Maybe?
    This is what she looked like before the botched buzz cut. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	8389

Tessy`s Photos

That is terrible. I would be so angry. May I ask where you got her groomed? Was it a PetSmart or other larger business or was it a local groomer?

Puppy (New Member)

How're the coats looking? Mine (2) got shaved around the 1st of December, still growing in - slowly. Girl's is coming in pretty even, boy's is a little patchy around the back.

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    How're the coats looking? Mine (2) got shaved around the 1st of December, still growing in - slowly. Girl's is coming in pretty even, boy's is a little patchy around the back.
    Brush him daily! What groomers neglect to mention is that their coats need to be brushed even after a shave for two reason. Reason number one it prevents matting which will happen cause the top coat isn't longer then the undercoat. Reason number two you great-en your chances of them growing back evenly if you keep them brushed it removes the loose coat which makes room for more coat to grow in.

Puppy (New Member)

I'm a new pyr owner with a quick question. Our girl has a small umbilical hernia that we are to stimulate daily to promote closure on its own. Our vet said if she needed surgery the fur would not grow back in a shaved spot. From what I'm seeing here, pyr's fur does grow back. Is our vet crazy?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by S.conard View Post
    I'm a new pyr owner with a quick question. Our girl has a small umbilical hernia that we are to stimulate daily to promote closure on its own. Our vet said if she needed surgery the fur would not grow back in a shaved spot. From what I'm seeing here, pyr's fur does grow back. Is our vet crazy?
    Possibly. All my dogs have had surgery and Lily has had a patch shaved off her back when she needed HW treatment, a patch shaved off her neck when she had an abscess removed, has her paws shaved every September to cut down on grass seed getting embedded in her paws and was shaved when she was spayed. Her fur always grows back but not of the same texture as before it was shaved, one of the reasons you don't want to shave a double-coated breed like a Pyr. However, if she has to have surgery and especially if she is a pup, there should be no issue with her fur growing back. When you have to deal with the upkeep of the coat, you might wish it didn't!

Jewel`s Photos

Our girl has a small umbilical hernia that we are to stimulate daily to promote closure on its own.
    This involves the belly area, no? The fur grows back in the belly area. Particularly, as Sr. Antonia said, if the surgery is needed while she is still a pup, there shouldn't be a big issue with the fur growing back. She would've shed that fur they shaved during her development.

Tsunibear`s Photos

The fur on the bell grows back. Most belly areas don't have a lot of fur anyways, but where the hernia is the fur will grow back around it now the scar tissue from the surgery it will take time for it to grow hair, but the rest of the fur will cover that.