Thread: The Nose Knows

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default The Nose Knows

The Nose Knows. One of the routes Moose chooses for his morning walk is a tiny little park over on the street behind us right net to the pasture where his buddy the horse lives . The park is actually full of live oak trees, has a couple of those baby swings and regular swings and a slide, nothing more. Don't even know why it is there.

This morning Moose decided he wanted to go visit his friedn the horse--remember he picks where he wants to go, Jerry jsut follows along. Moose did his noe running with the horse and startedinto the little park and suddenly drug Jerry toward a brush pile--guess they had been trimming limbs or something. Moose got into that brush pile and back out----with what Jerry described as the biggest possum he had ever seen. Moose had picked up the scent of that possum and JUST HAD to get it.

Once out, he dropped the possum. Jerry could tell from the way it was laying that it was just playing dead. He poked it a couple fo times with his cane, Moose watching intently. Possum didn't move, Moose was ready to continue his walk. He has caught 4 possums in our yard and as soon as they play dead, he walks away from them. Moose and his buddy the paint horse. Or is it a GIANT badger pyr? LOL

Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

That picture of Moose is adorable!

I wonder what it is about possums that make him want to find them?
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Skippy's Avatar

Reminds me of Lollie and her barn cats. They used to come from everywhere to greet her when her and Pa went to poke up hay at night. :-)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    I wonder what it is about possums that make him want to find them?
    They smell like bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    They smell like bacon!
    If that's the case, and I have possums in my neighborhood, I may need to put up a stronger fence!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Thank you. Moose loves to go that route an that horse can be way out in the pasture and when he sees Moose and Jerry coming, he comes up to the gate there to greet Moose. I really have no idea why the horse came to the gate the first time whenhesaw Moose coming.
    Jerry and Moose

Sebastian and Chester had their first up-close encounter with an opossum this evening. Sister Antonia, you may be right about them smelling like bacon. The opossum is now gone, but his scent is driving my two crazy trying to find him. Sebastian and Chester are, in turn, driving me a little crazy with their relentless search for the evil critter.

While the opossum was still here, both Sebastian and Chester tried their hands at toppling the fence. Sebastian also tried jumping over it for some reason (it's 6 feet tall, and Sebastian's high jump thankfully needs some work). While they were exhausting themselves with their efforts, the opossum found refuge in one of our holly trees (notably inside our fence perimeter).

I hope this means they both sleep well tonight.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

All I can say is I am glad I have no bacon-smelling critters around here! The feral cats are bad enough! Tyro cornered one inside a huge prickly pear cactus last week and then began the yodel of triumph so we would all come see what he had saved us from...!!!