Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha is my pyr's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Pooing in the yard how to

Hi guys. Finally getting a fence for the front and yard. We have always taken Sasha for walks...where she ends up doing her business. Now that the fence will be in I really want her do do that business in the yard. Would be easier for my wife...especially when I travel. Then we can use the walks as a nice walk instead of waiting for her to find that right spot. Is it too late to train this? I've been walking her in the yard. I've been told to be more stubborn than her...but i think she is willing to wait me out. Any suggestions?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I don't see her not wanting to go in the yard once she gets use to it.

God I hope you are right. I'm hoping once the fence is up...she will find her "place". Then we can just enjoy the walks. She is so fussy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

She is young so she will adjust. It takes some time but, they learn.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Haha Ya know when it comes to this subject its a crap shoot Apollo does not like to poop in the yard, but he will if he really has to go, otherwise he prefers to go out walking. Roxy on the other hand prefers to go in the yard. I have a theory as to why but who knows if I am correct. Apollo is a very confident dog, where Roxy is timid and nervous and doesn't like to leave home. I think she feels vulnerable while off her home turf and when pooping is when a dog is the most vulnerable. Oddly, while Roxy is going Apollo sits close to her with his back turned, almost like he is guarding her, but giving her some privacy.

Well I hope that she does get used to it. She will literally hold it all day if she has to. When I take her out for a walk...doesn't take long. Amazes me.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

we started jack with walks also. bottom line is that in 6 years he has never pooped in his yard. he does not have to since we take him for 4 to 5 walks a day and he can be in his yard for hours. i think he uses it to mark the extent of his territory as he sees it. also they are patrols not walks. i always laugh because jack will always bark to announce that he is pooping HERE. i think Sasha will get used to her yard and you might have to let her tough it out for a while until she does.
    patrick

Well the fence has been in for a bit now. She seems to be much more comfortable peeing. She has done this several times. But...she has also had several poops. Big happy dance. Not perfect but I think you guys have been right and it will take some time.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Isn't it hilarious the things you get excited about when you are a doggy parent!!!

LOL...yes. I can honestly say I've never been happy to have dog poop in my yard.