Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Christi, I am so glad that you were able to find someone that you like and can work with. That, in and of itself, can be quite the challenge!

I think it is very encouraging that both of you are working with people who understand the concept of teenage a-hole behavior. Sebastian's second class instructor (I now refuse to call her a trainer) did not understand the subject, and she did quite a bit to set us back on his training.

While I must confess that Sebastian is still pretty much a bona fide jerk, he has become much more manageable than he was during that awful time of our lives. His worst day now is still 10 times better than his best day then. It does get easier!

The boys and I send lots of love to Christi, Rachel, Apollo, Fin, and Roxy!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Thanks SM, it is because of experiences that you all have had before me that made me shy away from the trainer. I am sure she knows her stuff, but I am not, nor ever will be Apollo's boss. If it were not for these forums I most likely would have made more mistakes, and really had a mess to deal with. Last night we had a bit of a growl, but I am not sure if it was directed at a person, or if it was directed at Roxy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

Update:

Things with Fin are going very well. I am extremely pleased with his progress! He saw my mom for the first time in a few weeks today and he was his normal, loving self-- it was amazingly wonderful to see. Hoping it remains this way! We've uncovered through the training process that his dog aggression towards medium/large dogs has gotten pretty bad, so I'm focusing on that with the trainer right now, with the idea that once we can manage his reactivity with dogs he doesn't like, it'll give me the tools to help control him in hopefully every setting. We are doing weekly lessons with trainer and one of her dogs to help desensitize him-- first lesson was very stressful, second was nearly 50% better. By the end of the second lesson, he was lying down getting tummy rubs while the other dog was sitting halfway on his paws! I know we aren't done by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm thankful for the progress I've seen. I finally found a vet that I think I'll like and will still be getting thyroid run, CBC, and perhaps adrenal checked (not sure how involved the testing is but am going to bring it up with vet), just to be on the safe side.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Rachel, such good news!!

you & Fin should feel very proud at the progress that you have made...together
    and I think you are a very dedicated & responsible advocate for your Fin...
    it must make you both feel good to have the trust & respect for each other to keep working
    on this behavior...together!

Keep it up & keep us informed!!

Jewel`s Photos

Very proud of team Rachel/Fin!!! Keep working on that reactivity and you will get there. Fin is at the age where he is, like human teenagers, a bit hot headed. That will even out some with maturity to help things out. Good work!!