Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default My 10 year old is defiant

Need advice.....i know its my fault but this morning, about to take her for a walk...and without the lead on her, thought we would both go to the car, i was WRONG, she took off, and when i went to get her.....with the car, hoping she would get in the car.....she didnt took off.....and would NOT obey.....anyway m furious.....tied her out and told her sternly.......if she wants to be chained up like the other dogs........so be it......we are not on speaking terms......how do I get back to loving her........and still get my message across......i now my actions are riddled with mistakes but.....you know....

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Okay, I really don't understand this post.
    Have you had this girl for 10 years?
    Why in the world would you say "how do I get back to loving her"?!

you have just taught her that coming to you ends in punishment....I wouldn't expect her to have great trust in you or your judgement.

what do you want help with? learning how to calmly & patiently & loving communicate with your dog?

Pjg8r`s Photos

What's done is done. I also don't understand your question, but in the future:
    Realize (and after 10 years I'm surprised you haven't seen it before) having your dog leashed will prevent almost everything else you mentioned.
    Tethering the dog outside doesn't show anything about the running away, only that being back with you results in you being angry and acting differently.

For the day I would suggest you have had some time to cool off and hopefully reflect upon what you can do differently. If you all have been together for 10 years it's like any other family disagreement. We learn and move on.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

An excerpt from an article explaining the Pyr personality. You are mad at a dog for instinct. Kinda like being mad at someone for breathing. Take some time, cool off and always, always, always, always keep the pyr on a leash, in a fenced yard or on a tie out. When they are not contained they Dis-a Pyr!!!!

Pyrs are very independent, self-confident, “what, me worry?” types. They would rather see what’s on the other side of that hill than worry about getting lost. If you don’t keep a Great Pyrenees on a leash or in a properly fenced yard or kennel, sooner or later they will exercise their powerful instinct to establish and patrol a large territory and will run off, we promise you that. So you have 200 acres? The size of your acreage is not a natural barrier or deterrent. And they certainly do not look both ways when crossing streets either! No matter how expert your dog-training skills, you will not be able to “teach” a Pyr not to patrol a large territory, any more than a Retriever can be trained not to retrieve, or a Border Collie not to herd. Great Pyrenees are a guard dog by instinct, not by training! The world is a Pyr's to guard; thus, they should be kept on lead or in a securely fenced area at all times, not only for their safety and protection, but so that the dog does not become a liability.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Hono View Post
    Need advice.....i know its my fault but this morning, about to take her for a walk...and without the lead on her, thought we would both go to the car, i was WRONG, she took off, and when i went to get her.....with the car, hoping she would get in the car.....she didnt took off.....and would NOT obey.....anyway m furious.....tied her out and told her sternly.......if she wants to be chained up like the other dogs........so be it......we are not on speaking terms......how do I get back to loving her........and still get my message across......i now my actions are riddled with mistakes but.....you know....
    Is this post for real? I would love to have a dog that made it to 10 years old, whether reliable off leash or not. Losing dogs young changes your perspective a bit...

Jewel`s Photos

I know for CERTAIN that tying her out does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to get the message across about her running off being a bad thing.

It seems like you feel bad about what happened. But bottom line is, pyrs are notorious for being terrible off leash dogs. They have a mind of their own, and are slow to respond to commands. My pyr, the one on the left in my avatar picture, was extensively trained. She earned the very rare Performance Hall of Fame title from the Great Pyr Club of America for having earned titles in both obedience and agility. Just to be clear, both in obedience and agility trials, she performed offleash in arenas full of dogs milling about every which direction. Even then, I didn't never let her go out of the house offleash even just to go to the car. She was NOT reliable offleash when she knew she wasn't in a show ring. That's the different between a pyr and other dogs.

You didn't say whether your girl has always been reliable offleash or not. Even assuming that she has always been a reliable offleash dog, it is pretty common that when dogs get older, they can actually push boundaries more because they are older and wiser and know just how much they can get away with. I would not stay too upset with a 10 yr old. It is a privilege to be able to have a dog reach 10 yrs of age. My Hall of Fame dog died in May, at age 6, and a part of me died with her. So, I urge you, celebrate the fact that your girl is still with you at 10. Put a leash on her, keep her safe and love her and count yourself lucky.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hono View Post
    i know my actions are riddled with mistakes but.....you know....
    No, I don't know. You made a deliberate choice not to leash your dog, and now you're furious with her for doing what dogs, especially Pyrs, do when not on a leash. Then, you yelled at her and chained her out in the yard. For the record, chaining your dog out in the yard is illegal in many areas, because it is dangerous for the dog, and unnecessarily cruel. Now, you are refusing to speak to the dog, and wondering how you can "get to love her again", which implies that, for the moment, you admittedly don't love her.

You can start by having a bit of gratitude. You have a 10-year-old Pyr who is healthy enough to get into a bit of mischief. There are a number of members of this forum who would give anything - ANYTHING - to be that fortunate. You can also be grateful that no one was hurt while your dog was on her adventure. She wasn't hit by a car, or attacked by an animal. She wasn't shot while on someone else's property. She didn't attack anyone's pet cat or Yorkiepoo. You didn't sprain your ankle trying to catch her. Really, in the great scheme of things, this was a non-event. Inconvenient? Yes. Life-changing? Not in the least.

As the human guardian of a Pyr who was particularly naughty as an adolescent, I do understand the frustration that follows an event like this. I do understand needing some space after such an event. I do not understand subjecting them to the vulnerability and isolation that comes with leaving them tethered outside, and I do not understand the concept of our love for them being conditional to them behaving the way we want them to 100% of the time. At the risk of being too personal, I had a parent whose "love" for my sister and me was riddled with contingencies, and I would not wish it on anyone.

Please, bring your dog inside. Forgive her, and apologize to her. Do everything in your power not to let this happen again. Then, figure out what really has you so angry. From the situation you describe, I have the feeling that it wasn't just the dog stressing you out today.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Seriously. Be a responsible adult. Leash the dog when you take her out, and count the dog's lucky stars nothing worse happened!

Apologise to the dog for your own frustration/irresponsible actions, and get over yourself. This had everything to do with you, imo, and nothing to do with the dog. And yet it was the dog that got the punishment. Ironic.

Puppy (New Member)

Default Defiant Pyr

Quote Originally Posted by Padma View Post
    Seriously. Be a responsible adult. Leash the dog when you take her out, and count the dog's lucky stars nothing worse happened!

Apologise to the dog for your own frustration/irresponsible actions, and get over yourself. This had everything to do with you, imo, and nothing to do with the dog. And yet it was the dog that got the punishment. Ironic.
    Thank you one and all.....and you guys a right. I did yell at her......but shortly thereafter realized it was MY fault for not leashing her.

I have since made up with her and realize how lucky and very fortunate I am for having her with me for 10 yrs.
    Shes my buddy and my confidante. I absolutely love her and cherish her.

I take her on long walks three or four times daily. Im dedicated to her care and happiness.

Thanks for you replies.....great advice!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Yay!!!

now will you post a photo of this girl with the "spark" of mischief!

and by the way....welcome to the forum....let's hear more about how
    you & she got together...her name...and all of the fun things she & you
    have done through the years

Nancy & Rudy