Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default How much did your pup weigh at 8-9 weeks? How big are they now?

Hi everyone, really new to the forum (first post ). I am a Stay at home dad with two toddlers and we just got ourselves our very first pup! Blitz is a 9 week old pure bred (or so I was told) great Pyr. She went to the vet and at 9 weeks she already weighs 19lbs! I'm by no means an expert but that was more than I had thought she would weigh! So it got me thinking, how much did your pups weigh around that age? How big did they end up getting?

Sorry if this isn't really the place for this thread, I can definitely delete it if it's better suited somewhere else

I look forward to becoming more of a part of the community and talking about these beautiful fluffy beasts!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome super Dad & Blitz!!!

It's been awhile since I've had a puppy...Rudy is now 3 yrs...and is a very compact guy at 73 pounds...

There is a thread that was started on "Health discussion" regarding growing puppies & their weights, you might want to check that out & read what the others have experienced in the puppy weight department.

One thing I would like to point out, if you vet is happy with Blitz weight, and she is getting a good quality food...the one thing you want to watch with large breed puppies is not to have them gain too much weight too quickly. You want their bones to grow steadily & slowly.

Don't be concerned if she doesn't "measure up" to other pups...she will grow at her own speed and for her own body frame
    I just looked it up & Rudy was 28 pounds at 3 months old. He was never on puppy food, and has never had a large appetite, he's probably our healthiest Pyr out of the 4 we have had.

Look forward to hearing more about you, your family & of course Miss Blitz!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rebbetzin's Avatar

Rebbetzin`s Photos

Cherokee was already 11 weeks old when we got him. He was 17.5 inches at the shoulder, and weighed about 30+lbs.
    He came from a rancher in Northern AZ that has "working" dogs. He comes from a line of pretty big dogs. And much as
    I tried to get him to grow slowly... He grew at an amazing rate.

He was 15 weeks old when this chart was started. My vet gave me this chart from their records back in Aug.
    Between his 6th and 7th month, he had a real jump in his growth!

I have been taking "comparison" photos of him every month by our back fence, just under my
    rain gauge.

He has slowed down now in his growing, last month he only grew taller by .25 inches, but he grew in
    the length of his back, something I never thought to measure. And he gained about 6lbs. You can easily
    feel his ribs, spine and hip bones, so he is not at all overweight. Just a good sized fellow. 29.75" at the
    shoulder, and probably about 113 to 115lbs at 11 months old. I take him to the vet once a month, to do
    a weight check on him, and to let him get to know the girls in the Vet's office. They are always happy to see us.

Cherokee eats at about 6:30-7:00am a tiny bit for breakfast, like 1/2 cup of kibble with some Kefir or yogurt on it.
    Sometimes he doesn't touch his breakfast until we get back from our walk to the park, and running errands, at 9:00am or later.

Then for dinner around 5pm, he eats about 3 cups of kibble, with a couple tablespoons of meat drippings or other "nummies"
    we put on his food to make it more interesting for him.

We love him to pieces! He is a very calm and good puppy.

For sure, check out the thread on Comparing puppy weights on here.
    If you haven't already here is the link.
    http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...-puppy-weights

Best of luck with your new family member. Looking forward to hearing all about how she grows in the
    months/years to come. Be sure to share lots of photos. I LOVE to see puppy photos!!

Puppy (New Member)

Oh my gosh, Cherokee is an absolutely stunning animal! I bet he gets ALL of the attention when he's out and about haha! Thank you so much for being so welcoming And sharing your tips and advice with me, I sincerely appreciate that!

I love the idea of the growth chart/growth progress pictures! I am definitely going to use those!

Cherokee and Blitz look SOOOO similar in his puppy picture! (Except Blitz has one big blue eye lol) I can't wait to get some pictures uploaded, it's almost like looking in a little puppy mirror Holy cow, he grew up so fast! Can't believe that little ball of fluff turned into that majestic regal young man in only 8 months!

WOW! I am sure you're very proud

Thank again,
    Justin

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you so much for such a warm welcome! I will definitely check out the Health Discussion section of the Forum, thanks for the tip I look forward to becoming a more active member of the community and getting to know all of you (and your pups of course) better!

Thanks for the great advice about weight gain for Blitz, you're definitely right and that makes total sense! I will get some pictures uploaded just as soon as I can. Sadly we left our camera at the lake last week and our phone camera is lackluster to say the least! I will try and snap a few good ones tonight though so you guys can meet the little lady!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences/advice/tips with me, i can already tell the users here are going to be an absolute wealth of information. I really do appreciate that

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know you and your family better!
    Justin

Janet`s Photos

Hello and welcome! My Zoie weighed just about the same as your Blitz at that age. Zoie is now around 16 months old and weighs about 85 lbs. She has grown very slowly, and is not nearly as large as her parents (Dad was around 130, Mom around 100). So you just never know how things will turn out to be. At any rate, as long as she is healthy and the vet is happy with her weight, don't fret too much about it :-)

Enjoy!

Road Dawg

Hi MyBlitz.
    Our Charlotte, a pure bred (As we were told) weighed 12lbs at the vet when she was 8 weeks old.
    She was at the vet last week @ 17 weeks and weighed a healthy 48lbs. I am quite sure she is past 50lbs now.

The rate of growth is phenomenal.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

My girl was 15 lbs at 8 weeks and was 68 lbs 3 weeks ago, at 8 1/2 months. She gained 10 lbs a month (at one point, she actually shot up from 18 lbs to 35 lbs in 3 weeks), but that completely stalled at 6 1/2 months, when she was 65 lbs. She only gained 3 lbs in the 2 months since then! It's crazy! She's very healthy, and has definitely continued to grow because I've had to loosen her collar twice and her walking harness during those two months, she just isn't putting on much weight.

When Ivy was 8 weeks old she weighed 12.1lbs. Now she is 5months and 17days old, but the most current weight I have for her is from 17 days ago. At that time she was 42lbs, but I am sure she is even bigger now. She probably isn't as big as all the other pups because she is supposedly mixed with golden retriever, but who knows haha. Attached are a picture from 8 weeks old and 5 months

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10407742_898817710190039_1562516968445304826_n.jpg 
Views:	2671 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	7653 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11140010_10153517624806348_7078531945561006351_n-1.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	7654

Puppy (New Member)

First time on this site. We have taken lots of pictures of Angel but we did not list the dates they were taken for a memory chart. Great idea. We don't know when she was born. The sheep herder her mother was placed with for the summer dd not record it. When her mother was taken to the the mountains by Yellowstone and the Tetons with a huge number of Pyrs and 15,000 to 20,000 sheep they did not know she was going to have puppies. We believe she is somewhere between 5 and 6 months old. She is very gentle with us but she clearly has the instinct of a guardian in spades. We will check her weight in a few days. Probably 65 to 70 lbs.