Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Antonia`s Photos

Default Corneal Dystrophy?

Anyone ever heard of Corneal Dystrophy or have any experience with this? Lily was diagnosed with this yesterday. We've been back and forth to the vet 4 times in the last week and a half. Initially because her eye looked red. Then as we're treating for conjunctivitis, I start to notice she has a cloudy area that has developed in that eye, right in the center of the eye. Next thought was that she bruised the eye but after meds for this did not change the cloudy area, the diagnosis is canine corneal dystrophy. It is thought to be a genetic condition and there appears to be no treatment. My vet said that as long as Lily does not develop the crystallizing form, it should not affect her vision and that the cloudiness for Lily would be like looking through scratched lenses... She said it is likely Lily will develop it in her right eye too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	7582

Name:	071.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	7583

Name:	147.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	7584

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I have a client with a Shih Tzu whose dog has it. He can still see, it just looks like he has glaucoma....little bastard can land a bite every single time.

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    I have a client with a Shih Tzu whose dog has it. He can still see, it just looks like he has glaucoma....little bastard can land a bite every single time.
    Tsuni, So reassuring! I know I don;t have to worry about the biting with Lily. Just want to make sure she can adequately continue to defend herself from the black faces!

Name:	079.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	7585

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I have only met little dogs with it but, all two of them can see just fine. I know this because, when one of their owners found out she came in crying with him and saying "The vet said it's like seeing out of scratched glasses. How will he survive." Then my thinking "Score maybe he won't bite me this time." Then 2 minutes after she left he nailed me and I wasn't even touching him...he just wanted to let me know he could still see me.

Jewel`s Photos

Not familiar with this condition at all. Just wanted to send positive energy that the condition stays relatively dormant and Lilly's vision remains largely unaffected.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

The boys and I send lots of love and positive energy to you and Lilly.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

oh Lily.....

No, we have never had this in any of our dogs....but send out positive thoughts that Lily will not get this in her other eye...she needs that one to remain on the "black faces"!!

She still looks like she can hold her own with those two, and my guess is that if she slows down for whatever reason, they will learn how to be gentle with her...or I'm sure she'll let them know!!

our little Schipperke did have an eye disease as she aged (and please forgive me, that was so long ago I don't remember what it was), we elected to have her eye removed as we all were concerned that the disease would pass to the other eye & blind her. Foxy never slowed down from this, and she always put her best side to the camera whenever a photo was taken of her!!

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Not familiar with this condition at all. Just wanted to send positive energy that the condition stays relatively dormant and Lilly's vision remains largely unaffected.
    Thank you! Need all the positive energy I can get with the beloved trio. They are always coming up with something new for me to think and worry about!

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    oh Lily.....

No, we have never had this in any of our dogs....but send out positive thoughts that Lily will not get this in her other eye...she needs that one to remain on the "black faces"!!

She still looks like she can hold her own with those two, and my guess is that if she slows down for whatever reason, they will learn how to be gentle with her...or I'm sure she'll let them know!!

our little Schipperke did have an eye disease as she aged (and please forgive me, that was so long ago I don't remember what it was), we elected to have her eye removed as we all were concerned that the disease would pass to the other eye & blind her. Foxy never slowed down from this, and she always put her best side to the camera whenever a photo was taken of her!!
    She does need both eyes to keep up with those two but she has no problem at this point. I'm always amazed at how skilled she is at dealing with both at once, especially since she is officially the "runt" of the trio now.

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    The boys and I send lots of love and positive energy to you and Lilly.
    Thank you, SM! I'm keeping a close watch on our best girl and at the moment there are no changes. Whew! The left eye got cloudy so fast it has been a little scary to watch. Might look a little worse on Lily because she has such HUGE eyes...