Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

No problem SM. If anything I learned from my experience with Monty can someone else then I share it. Now in Monty's case after a long while he adjusted to life on steroids because, you have to remember he was on them for four years so once he adjusted to it he became less testy over his man bits.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Is it rude for a dog to sniff another dog there,
    Judging from the sole fact that Bijou used to shove her face there for a sniff when she met a new dog, I'd guess, yes, it is rude. I know for a fact she was not very polite with her greetings.

Bro does not mind much if a little dog does that to him. But I don't think he'd take that from a big dog. I don't know for sure because I don't let big dogs get that kind of access to him.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Judging from the sole fact that Bijou used to shove her face there for a sniff when she met a new dog, I'd guess, yes, it is rude. I know for a fact she was not very polite with her greetings.

Bro does not mind much if a little dog does that to him. But I don't think he'd take that from a big dog. I don't know for sure because I don't let big dogs get that kind of access to him.
    Tyro totally rude too... Rudest dog I've ever had. The girls take it pretty well but not sure what another dog would think. Maybe I should be glad I don't take him where there are other dogs in order to find out...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Well, I am glad to know that Sebastian isn't alone in his lack of manners!

On Wednesday, it will be two weeks that Chester has been on his medication. I decided to wait to see how he does in the next few days before calling the behaviorist. I don't want to switch his medication before we know for sure that it isn't right for him.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

So, we are back in the saddle, in terms of trying to train these two. I decided to have someone come to us to work on some issues, and once the boys are ready, I will enroll them in group classes. At first, I thought that their dog aggression (now with leash aggression added in! Hooray!) was our most urgent problem. However, Chester has brought it to my attention that we are going to have to tackle their Separation (from each other) Anxiety / FOMO first. Luckily, the behavior consultant we are working with now is very flexible and responsive.

We changed Chester's meds after Thanksgiving, as it was clear that the Sertraline was not working out. It made him much, much, worse. We were prepared for that. He is on Peroxatine (Paxil) now, and while it is better than the Sertraline, I think we can probably do better. Our new consultant will work with our vet to recommend medications. He had mentioned the possibility of trying Prozac with him, and I think it's probably a good idea. I'm going to mention it during our next session.

I had mentioned in another thread that I had bought a can of Stop That! spray to use on off-lead dogs that approach us when we're out. I haven't used it on approaching dogs, yet, but last night, I snapped and used it on my two when we were in the park and they went crazy at the sight of another dog. I'm not proud of myself, but it worked. It got their attention, and they settled right down. Admittedly, I used it again tonight under the same circumstances, and, again, it worked. Both Sebastian and Chester settled right down, and made nice with the other dog while I got them leashed and out of there. I'm pretty sure that the behavior consultant would not approve, but he may not need to know. I plan on using it on them only when they are out of control like that. They don't seem to be frightened by it, it just gets their attention, so that I can redirect them. I think the calming pheromones help, too. Obviously, if it seems to have a negative impact on them over time, I will stop using it. I just can't let them continue to think that fence-fighting is acceptable behavior.

Our next session with the consultant is Friday, and I am hopeful that we can make some progress with the Separation Anxiety / FOMO. When it is Chester's turn for individual training, Sebastian barks because he thinks that we are going to have fun without him (hence the FOMO). Chester seems to have a hard time concentrating, because he is focused on getting back inside to where Sebastian is. Once he knows that we are headed back inside, he refuses to walk like a gentleman, and tries to pull me all the way to the door. Treats do not distract him or motivate good behavior at that point. When it is Sebastian's turn, Chester starts to panic before I even get Sebastian leashed. By the time we get to the door, Chester is full-on screaming and trying to dig and bite his way out of his crate. I'm sure the neighbors don't appreciate it one bit, even tough I try to limit our sessions to times when they are not likely to be home.

Well, I can say that you all were absolutely right about not thinking that Chester could handle a handler. In our last two sessions, when the consultant tried handling him, it did not go well. During our session today, the consultant's wife held Chester's lead for a few minutes while the consultant demonstrated something with me. You would have thought that Chester was being tortured. He whined and cried and spun on his leash. It was pretty dramatic. Fortunately, both the consultant and his wife have seen much worse.

Our next session is going to focus on the Separation Anxiety. In the meantime, I have bought them each a Kong and a boatload of squeezy cheese. They each get a Cheese-filled Kong right before I leave to go anywhere. Chester always gets his in his crate. Sometimes, Sebastian gets his in the bedroom, sometimes, he gets his next to the door. The point is, I want physical space between them when they get their special Kongs, and I don't want them to really be able to see each other.

On the off-leash dogs harassing us front, this week has been pretty abysmal. I threatened to move out and report our building to the city if nothing is done about these [insert word not suitable for this forum here]s and their young, impulsive, untrained, off-leash dogs. The management is finally listening to me. We've had two ugly encounters this week, one with an untrained, intact, adolescent whippet, and one with a pointer that I had never seen before. Both owners got a pretty angry tongue-lashing from me. Both dogs got a face full of snarling, thrashing Sebastian and Chester. They were not our best moments.

I bought the Citronella deterrent spray tonight, and if that doesn't work, the consultant has a pepper spray that he recommends. I hate the idea of pepper spraying a dog, but...
    I'm hoping that if we have another encounter, the citronella will work.

It definitely has not been our best week, but at least it isn't as bad as trying to take Sebastian for a simple walk when he was a puppy/adolescent. Every time I start to think that this is more than I can handle, I remember the days of "Kill Mommy", and other atrocious public behaviors.

Tsunibear`s Photos

Don't feel to bad SM...this week wasn't a good week for me either...Missy handled it better then me. My Mom and the JFO went into Wal-Mart and so I took Missy on a walk around the parking lot like I always do and we walk the length of the store and back cause I always park near the garden side. Well I was walking her and didn't really notice the Pit and his owners sitting in the corner. I noticed the two Wal-Mart associates but, not them. Missy was smelling and we were minding our own business when the two associates said "Look at her purple tail!" then out of no where I hear growling, barking and snarling. The owners of the Pit could hardly control him as he was flipping out over seeing Missy. Missy who didn't even lift her head up to look at him from the tree she was smelling...I told her to leave it and we walked past them so the Pit couldn't see her but, I could still hear them. The conversation went like this two associates "So your dog is dog aggressive?" Owners "No he just doesn't like that dog for some reason and she set him off." Associates jokingly "Must have been the purple tail clearly." Owner "No it was probably her body language she was clearly challenging him." Associates now not joking "You have to be kidding right? She didn't even look at your dog he was beneath her." Owners "How would you know a thing about body language?" Associate "Well sir I have Great Danes and I can tell you that dog didn't send any signals and your dog is the problem. It's called dog aggression." So now we are on the opposite side and walking back to the car same dog flips out again and Missy is peeing. The owner yells "You need to move your dog." I looked up and said "Excuse me? She is peeing and we have least 30 feet between us. If your dog has a problem with her move him." He says "Look b**ch don't make me let go of his leash cause he will kill your dog." I replied now angry "Try me a**hole. I won't be responsible for the damage done to your dog if it even makes it across the parking lot before hit by a car. You won't have to worry about my dog messing your dog up which I have no doubt that she will protecting me. You will have to worry about me pulling a knife out for self defense and I have 7 witnesses already that just heard you threaten myself and my dog for no reason." Then I continued to walk on and load Missy into the car. They took off shortly after still not being able to control him and he was flipping out again over a little dog this time.

Then the next day I was so tired from work that I forgot to put a collar on Missy...good thing she is good off leash cause she was naked at the shop.

Tsunibear, I admire your restraint in dealing with that jerk. That is exactly the type of person that gives pits - and their owners- a bad name. I would likely not have handled that well. Of course, I probably would also have been dealing with Sebastian and Chester, as well. Not a pretty scenario. Missy is such a great dog. You two are a wonderful team!

I emailed Chester's vet today about the med change, and she should be getting back to me on Monday. Fingers crossed that the third time is the charm!

Tsunibear`s Photos

I love Missy and I know she has her issues now but, I wouldn't trade her in for the world....thankfully she doesn't have my short temper. I kid you not I was so pissed off over the whole situation.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

SM, you have dedicated so much of yourself & your time to your boys...I just know that it will all be worth it eventually....your understanding & patience are to be admired....as well as your caring for your boys.

It is interesting that there are those people out there who's dogs never do anything wrong...at least in the owners mind. They can't see that their dogs need help, they just see others as a problem & if we'd all go away things would be good for their dogs...a very narrow minded & blind person. You are never going to change their way of thinking, but I know how hard it is to not reply to their comments. Tsuni, I could feel my emotions boiling up at your description of the incident!!

And SM...I am glad you speak up for your boys & let the building managers know what is happening & that they need to be doing something about it...I also agree with you about the pepper spray, I would hate to resort to using it on a dog. I used to carry it when I walked the dogs in Alaska...for bear...then I always had to be thinking...which way is the wind blowing...knowing me, I would probably end up spraying myself!

Hope the week goes better for both of you!!