Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) CaseysMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

CaseysMom`s Photos

I agree, SM, both boys look very happy, and I know you will be too once the move is over. I know from (very recent) experience that trying to pack and move can be a LITTLE anxiety-producing. Thanks for the feedback on the "Kill Mommy" versus the "Chicken" game; Casey is definitely doing "chicken" with me. I can feel Chester's pain with the sliding glass doors; Casey did the same thing when he first came to live with me. Am glad Chester wasn't hurt, but I'm sure his pride was injured. And Christi, your story was hilarious (although I'm sure your husband wouldn't agree!).

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

WE DID IT!!!!! I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO TAKE SEBASTIAN AMD CHESTER ON INDIVIDUAL WALKS WITHOUT ANYONE HAVING A PANIC ATTACK, MYSELF INCLUDED!!!

For those of you who are seeing this thread for the first time, there is definitely a reason for the all-caps. This has been a major goal of mine since Chester came to live with us - one that was impeded by poor Chesterís severe Separation Anxiety.

I did kind of trick him into being okay. He was in his crate eating doggie ice cream while I lured Sebastian into the garage where the leashes were waiting. Still, when he figured out that we were leaving, I didnít hear any fuss. When Sebastian and I got back, he was quiet, and his ice cream was gone. Sebastian was so tired after his walk that he didnít care that Chester and I were going out without him. He wanted to eat his ice cream in peace.

My plan is to get them both comfortable with the sights and smells in the neighborhood until they are no big deal, then start working on our One-on-One Training in a Two-Dog, One-Mom Household.

I am so insanely proud of both of them right now!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

This is such great news!!! You are deserve congratulations and a special treat!!! Incredible how long we have to wait sometimes to overcome some hurdles and we are all so proud of you, Sebastian and Chester!

Jewel`s Photos

BIG MILESTONE!!!! Soooo happy for all three of you!! Although it doesn't seem like a big deal for most people, it is a big accomplishment with Sebastian and Chester. Taking the first step wasn't easy. But now that you've done it, you know it's possible. So keep up the good work and keep on believing you can do it!!!!

Thank you so much, Jewel and Antonia!

Today made me wonder if yesterdayís events had been a big big mistake. I wanted to clean out the garage, so I went through our regular me leaving routine, and then went to work in the garage. Chester threw an epic tantrum. Then Sebastian threw an epic tantrum. Then I lost my temper, came inside, yelled at them, and soaked in the tub so that I could calm down somewhere where they would not bother me. When I returned to work in the garage later, I let them come out there with me so that they could see that I really was not having fun without them. Once they got bored and wanted to go back inside, I was able to finish up in peace.

Later, we did short individual walks with ice cream for the dog who was staying home. Chester barked at first, but calmed down quickly.

I will also add that Sebastian spent a good portion of the day telling me that he really wanted to go for a walk. This starts with him talking, then escalates to him barking obnoxiously at me. Looks like we are going to have to tighten up the NILIF routine.

Hopefully, tomorrow will involve less barking, fewer tantrums, and no yelling!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    WE DID IT!!!!! I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO TAKE SEBASTIAN AMD CHESTER ON INDIVIDUAL WALKS WITHOUT ANYONE HAVING A PANIC ATTACK, MYSELF INCLUDED!!!

For those of you who are seeing this thread for the first time, there is definitely a reason for the all-caps. This has been a major goal of mine since Chester came to live with us - one that was impeded by poor Chesterís severe Separation Anxiety.

I did kind of trick him into being okay. He was in his crate eating doggie ice cream while I lured Sebastian into the garage where the leashes were waiting. Still, when he figured out that we were leaving, I didnít hear any fuss. When Sebastian and I got back, he was quiet, and his ice cream was gone. Sebastian was so tired after his walk that he didnít care that Chester and I were going out without him. He wanted to eat his ice cream in peace.

My plan is to get them both comfortable with the sights and smells in the neighborhood until they are no big deal, then start working on our One-on-One Training in a Two-Dog, One-Mom Household.

I am so insanely proud of both of them right now!
    This is great!

Mikel, thank you so much!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

SM....your dedication to those boys is amazing!!!

I hope that when you soaked in the tub, you also enjoyed a mice glass of wine (or two!)

I think you are making so much progress considering their personalities & challenges....and the fact there is only one of you & 2 of them!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

What a great job the 3 of you!!!! this made me cheer out loud for you. though I had to laugh at your story of sebastion's tantrum.

What kind of doggie ice cream do you use, I've never seen that... I think that might be valuable this first real summer for zech...