Thread: chewing

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default chewing

So Apollo is 10 months old now and he has decided to take up chewing things to pieces. he has a very narrow range of items he will chew up, the main one being right shoes, i don't know why but the left shoe doesn't seem to interest him. the second item on his list is TV remotes, this being the one that really worries me. he doesn't seem to care about being punished for doing so and just continues to chew things up.

he has plenty of bones/antler/dog-proof toys to chew on and with the exception of the last few days gets walked daily before i go to work and when i get home about 2.5 miles both times. he gets to play outside with our husky/border collie for about 3.5-4 hours split up into 30-45 minute sessions.

my bigger worry here is that he's going to chew up and swallow something one of these days that's going to hurt or even kill him.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sebastian thoroughly enjoyed destroying my things well past his first birthday. The weird thing about Sebastian was that he would only do it while I was home. He flat-out refused crate training, and I lacked the skills and problem-solving abilities to trick him into loving his crate then, so the early months were a bit of a challenge for us. He would come with me to work during the day, and I was pretty much home bound at night, unless I could find a babysitter or take him places with me. Luckily for me, he was trustworthy to leave at home when he was roughly 7 months old - a total anomaly.

Since he only destroyed my stuff when I was home, I found myself having to re-puppy-proof our place pretty often. To the best of my ability, I tried to move anything I didn't want destroyed out of his line of sight, as well as out of his reach. Still, there were times that he found illicit chewing items. One of my favorite times was when he managed to go upstairs and get into my underwear drawer while I was in the living room having a snack. I found out that he was in my underwear drawer when one of my favorite bras came flying down the stairs. I was grateful that I did not have any life outside of Sebastian at that point, and thus, no guests at the time of the flying lingerie show. When I got up to collect my bra and move it out of his reach, he came downstairs and stole my snack.

He also went through a phase where he loved books. He favored every moment of pulling them off of my bookshelf, and tearing them apart page by page. He had a knack for destroying only the books I liked (none of the vanity books I had to buy in college because they were written by my college professors), and he often destroyed the best parts first. I had to move all of my books, and stack them on top of the bookcase they once called home. I also had to make sure that I kept my underwear drawer closed, as well as the closet in which my dresser was kept.

I also had to get into the habit of hanging my purse up on a wall hook when I got home, because a certain someone loved to go through it and destroy any papers that might be in there. He also managed to find my sunglasses one night.

At 10 months old, Apollo is big enough that it can be hard to remember that he is still a puppy. He very much still is, and will continue to be so for many many months to come. At 10 months old, he is also an adolescent puppy, which explains why he ignores any and all attempts to correct his destructive behavior.

The best advice I can give is to crate him when you're away, watch him as best you can when you're home, and move all shoes, remotes, and other tempting items to a more secure location until he has outgrown this phase. He will outgrow it eventually!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy went through this phase...she preferred left shoes though. For her it was a boredom thing. She is a dog who not only needed to be physically worked out but, also mentally worked out. If she isn't mentally tired she would wreck stuff. So I started playing games with her. For example I would play hide and seek with her. I would have the JFO take her outside and I would hide and then I would have him bring her in and I would start making noises with my mouth until she found me and then I would give her a cookie. Sometimes I would hide cookies around the house and ask her to find them too just to mentally wear her out. Once she was worn out mentally she would nap or just chill.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

My Pyr boy is one year old as of July 30th and I'm having the same issue. He didn't really destructively chew anything when he was a smaller pup. At around 9-10 months he started doing it. I have to take pretty much the same approach as SebastiansMom and keep my home puppy proofed. Like Sebastian, Fin only chews up things or misbehaves in general when I'm home. He won't chew up anything while I'm gone and can stay out fine. Considering that, I think my boy does his mostly for attention. He could get 23 hours and 58 minutes worth of pets a day and still throw a fit over the two minutes I'm doing something else. So I don't know if its the same reason behind your boy's chewing, but ultimate puppy proofing is the best bet. I have gates up in front of all my book shelves, the fireplace (he tries to chew on the fake gas logs), I keep everything put away at all times in pretty much every room. My Pyr loves remotes too, so I now have a "remote drawer" and that's where they go when they're not in someone's hand or lap. I also keep all my shoes in a basket in a closet with the door shut -- it is a pain to get used to but saves the lives of many shoes!! Good luck and I wish your right shoes the best!

These were very helpful posts, pretty funny too. Totally relate. Kali is 8 months old now, the chewing has taken on a new level. Wasn't too bad till now, just usual occasional destruction. Now with her massive big girl teeth she feels empowered to take on rugs, buckets, door frames, wood baseball bats, wooden chair and table legs, plastic kennels, loves 2x4 pieces of wood. I only hope she doesn't get a GI obstruction, but she seems smart enough to not swallow large objects, mainly just chew to pieces. Lots and lots of chew toys, but she just insists on going for furniture. Sometimes I will give a cow ear rawhide, not more than one per day, and that keeps her occupied for about 20 minutes.

She still at 8 months is high energy, difficult to tire her out, but we have made some progress. Still such a big puppy at 70 lbs and 8 months. Sometimes I think she just want attention, other times I believe its teething. I really am clueless. Just hope as she get older she needs more sleep, chews less, and needs less exercise, all before I finally collapse from exhaustion. Oh yes, the day camp really helps tire her out, but I can only put her in 1 or 2 times a week. It's like a vacation day for me. Been tempted just to drop her off and go home to take a nap!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

One of my female Kangals was an incredible chewer and resolution of teething did nothing to slow it down. She literally chewed up a small set of outdoor stairs in a few hours... She was an extremely high energy girl and although she was run several miles two times a day and had her brother to romp with, it barely made a dent in her energy level. The only time the chewing stopped was when I was able to drain her sufficiently. In her case, this meant mental draining and spending time watching our stock because the heat here made it too difficult most of the year to exercise her enough to really make a difference. Thank God, she was the only LGD breed I've had that was this bad. Not sure I could make it through another like her!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rx4bills View Post
    Been tempted just to drop her off and go home to take a nap!

I did that more than once. Sometimes you forget how much work having a high-energy puppy is until you finally get a few moments to yourself. There is no shame in using that time to take care of yourself. It will leave you better prepared to handle her when she gets home!

Also, she is growing up to be one gorgeous girl!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Thank you! She is really a sweet dog, aside from the barking, chewing, waking me up at 6am every morning

I get my daily walks, and we keep working on her obedience exercises. Maybe more mental stimulation!

I just wanted to mention that I have been using a liquid spray product called "Bitter Yuck" for about a week. Like most products on the market, some good reviews, some not so great. Our Kali really likes chewing on our rugs, wall molding, cardboard boxes. We get lots of Amazon deliveries so there is almost always a box or two in our entryway. Our biggest challenge continues to be Kali chewing on our old Golden Retrievers ears, sometimes legs. So when Kali started her chewing on the rug, I gave the spot a good spray (supposedly safe, non-toxic, doesn't smell). It works on bad taste apparently. Well, she didn't continue chewing on the rug, in that spot

She later chewed on some molding, gave it a spray, she didn't continue. The spray has worked pretty well I'd say, on all objects and fixtures. Not so good on Kobi's (Golden) ears. Maybe his ears need more of a soaking, I gave it just a light spray, but when Kali gets excited, she loves her chew toy (Kobi ears). Not a hard chew, but a very physical, playful, 70 lb dog chew. So mixed reviews so far, but happy with results on furniture and objects. Will continue testing on Kobi ears. I understand it tastes really awful to people, so I am careful to not transfer any to my mouth.

The efforts continue.

Jewel`s Photos

I've tasted Bitter Yuck... If you happen to get some on your hands, use alcohol to remove it. Soap does not work.