Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy mounting?

Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jasminsosa08`s Photos

Default Puppy mounting?

My puppy is four months old, about to turn five months old and recenltly one night him and I were playing on the living room floor with a rope when he mounted my leg and almost began to hump it. I heard that neutering great pyrenees before they develop completely could cause problems and I also think he may be slightly be too young to be doing this so could their be another reason why? He also does it when he run around in the backyard during his playtime.
    He also began to bite me and normally he listens when I tell him to stop but that night he was extremly reluctant to listen to me. I know for a male him mounting will be normal but at barely sixteen weeks is it normal? It's a tad bit awkward for me since I've only had him for two months and he's my first male dog, I know my responsibilities as for him bieng a boy but I also want to save as much as the puppy life of my marshmellow as I can. In which I mean, humping isn't the biggest puppy thought I have when I think of a four month old puppy. Is it normal for such behaviour or is their something else I might be doing wrong for my puppy to be doing this? Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1433722891833.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	7153  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Hi and welcome to the forums. I have an intact 10 month old male, and we have had a few occasions when he has humped. First, its totally normal and not really a huge deal, dogs do not differentiate between types of excitement. You were playing with him, on the floor at his level with a toy I am assuming he really likes and he got excited and that is an outlet for excitement. What we did when Apollo did this, was gently push him away and walk away from him. He wasn't reprimanded at all but he wasn't engaged or encouraged to continue. The only time's he has done it was while playing, once with my spayed female dog, and a few times with my husband.

When it happened with Tommy, he was playing with him with a rope toy, playing tug, and making little growly noises back at Apollo. I had to leave the room cause I was laughing. And Apollo just followed me and it was no big deal.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

agree with Christi, you had him in a very excited state & his little puppy brain could only think of one thing to do for an outlet....

Rudy will be 3 y/o in October, he has only tried to hump our Aussie once....she told him "nothing doin' here buddy, cut it out" and he's never tried it again with her. Occasionally when Rudy was a young pup like yours I would get him too excited playing with a toy with him & he would try the same thing....as Christi said....quietly push him away, say no..it's okay to do that, just don't make a big deal out of it...then walk away & let him calm down.

Suz`s Photos

Good responses. Niko is my first male dog in many many years. I usually go for females, but this time, I wanted a baby boy after losing my baby girl. Mounting is a dominance thing, not a ***ual thing...so I think it's best to keep that in mind and apply the behaviors suggested. Maintain your dominance.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

No it is not a dominance thing at all. You do not play dominance with a Pyr, you are not his master and the sooner you understand the dynamics of the Pyr the happier you will both be. They do not hump to dominate, they hump from excitement. Pyrs have been bred for thousands of years to think for themselves, and make decisions on there own with no human intervention. What you are striving for with a Pyr is to be partners and base your relationship on trust, and mutual respect. Many a person has had issues with pyrs because of trying to dominate them. They do what we ask, when they think it is prudent to do so. They are wired to keep the flock safe, and will do whatever it takes to do so. This is why it seems so hard to make them obey, they evaluate every situation based on your safety. They don't want to make you happy, they HAVE to make you safe.

Suz`s Photos

I read somewhere that the humping thing was showing dominance. I saw Shiya, female, assume that with another dog once upon a time. That's all. Wasn't trying to encourage anything but explain that behavior from what I've read about dogs and the humping business.
    But...I've just done some more reading in which the author asserts that it is not showing dominance. I guess I'd rather just think that it was. LOL

Jewel`s Photos

Things aren't always either black or white. Humping can be a dominance posture but it is also very often an expression of excitement. As between two dogs, the act of humping is a type of dominance posturing, as is when one dog puts its head over the shoulders of another. This is why it's not unusual when a growl or snap erupts when that happens between two dogs. But often when the humping is done by an excited young dog to its humans, it is in many cases not about dominance, it's really just an expression of excitement.

Bijou humped me on a regular basis. For her it was an expression of excitement. I never discouraged her from doing it. It was pretty funny on those occasions when I saw people with looks of horror on their faces and I just knew those were the people who thought I was allowing my big dog to "dominate" me.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Things aren't always either black or white. Humping can be a dominance posture but it is also very often an expression of excitement. As between two dogs, the act of humping is a type of dominance posturing, as is when one dog puts its head over the shoulders of another. This is why it's not unusual when a growl or snap erupts when that happens between two dogs. But often when the humping is done by an excited young dog to its humans, it is in many cases not about dominance, it's really just an expression of excitement.

Bijou humped me on a regular basis. For her it was an expression of excitement. I never discouraged her from doing it. It was pretty funny on those occasions when I saw people with looks of horror on their faces and I just knew those were the people who thought I was allowing my big dog to "dominate" me.
    Ha! That's so funny. They probably thought you'd lost your marbles! Tyro would regularly hump the air when I would come take him out of his kennel in the morning when he was a pup. Excitement was just too much for the boy and he was so happy to see his mom!

Suz`s Photos

Ok, so Niko will be 15 weeks tomorrow. We came home from a wellness exam (in which the family jewels were checked). I was in the living room and heard the kitty yelp in the dining room. I found the kitty under the table, thought Niko had mouthed her again, looked at Niko and observed testosterone in action. This was not a site I wanted to see in the baby boy so soon. I sought advice from a friend who has two pyrs, both boys...and had two boys prior to these boys. She told me she waited till her first boys were three years to neuter and she thought that was a mistake (don't know why and didn't ask). She had her current boys neutered at 3 months.
    Niko has stopped mouthing the kitty around her back since I've made it very clear to him that he is not permitted to do that. Today I told him that he isn't allowed to mount the kitty, for all of the good that will do. Any suggestions? It isn't as if he was all excited at that point. We came home, he pottied, and I brought him in and gave him a Blue bone. All low key stuff. Unless the exam did something? I really want to wait until he is 18 months for neutering if possible...but I can't have a 100 pound dog mounting the kitty either He is currently 42 pounds, btw Still a baby...such an unpleasant surprise.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Does kitty have any safe place she can go where Niko can't bother her? Any possibility you can keep kitty and Niko separate if you aren't there to see what's going on? I'm thinking more management for Kitty and Niko so you can give yourself time to decide whether you really need to have him neutered now based on him bothering her. I'm no expert but I really regret having had my last two male Kangal dog neutered at 6 and 7 months of age. My first died of cancer at age 4 and my current boy was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia at a year old. In my opinion there's enough newer research about the benefits of waiting to make me wonder what part the early neuter played in my boys' health issues. I am in favor of spaying and neutering. Just wishing now I could have chosen different timing. We'll be waiting to get our current female Kangal pup done until after she's had her first heat due to the fact that she's got a slightly recessed vulva that we don't want to face surgery over. I know, probably more information than you ever wanted to know. I just want to encourage you to make the choice for the right reasons and not because you feel pressured by circumstances that could have been managed.