Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bath Time

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Christi`s Photos

Default Bath Time

My dogs collectively hate me for now. Can barely take a picture because they are running at the sight of me But it had to be done. Bones were offered but until i put them in food dishes and walked away they wouldn't take them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11403062_444075985773924_2596108385141773249_n.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	7146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11659408_444076075773915_6249627532979258222_n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	7147

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

No picture to post but Lily has been keeping a suspicious eye on me for the last couple of days. It has been so deathly hot here the last few days and I have been worried about her in the earlier hours of the night when it is still hot. Tyro gets a nightly "puppy spray down" but Lily hates water so I never wanted to do this to her. We were working on building trust with her so I have actually not given her a bath since the first week I got her in November. Thankfully for me, she stays a lot cleaner than my Kangals who regularly reek of dead fish after chewing on each other (one of the sisters suggested that if I brushed their teeth more often I might not need to bathe them so much!) Tuesday night my concern for Lily overcame my reluctance and she was initiated into the puppy spray down. After some initial doggy rodeo moves, she settled and just looked miserable. She's had it ever night since. I doubt she will ever like it but at least she knows I'm not trying to drown her! Apollo and Roxy are gorgeous. Can't believe how big your boy is getting.

Jewel`s Photos

Sr. Antonia, Bijou too hated being forced to get wet. But eventually she and I came to an agreement. I would avoid wetting her head which she HATED with a passion. But she would accept getting her belly wet. Eventually I was able to negotiate that she would willingly let me lead her to a sprinkler and have her belly sprayed. She would also willingly allow me to use a squirt bottle to get her belly wet. Maybe you can try to find out if Liily has preferences and maybe you can come to a compromise.

Antonia`s Photos

Jewel, I discovered quite quickly that wetting Lily's legs caused the super rodeo behavior. I had thought I would start low and work my way up but that really backfired. For whatever reason, if I start by spraying her back, she doesn't get so agitated and then I can move the water around and she doesn't get so upset. I promised her we weren't going to get her head, face or anywhere near her ears wet and she seems to understand now that we're not going near those places so it is less stressful. She seems to feel safest if there is no slack on her leash and therefore no ability to move around and if she can lean on me while she's getting wet. It means I take a puppy spray down too but in this heat I could use one. Funny you say about being forced to get wet... She sure doesn't mind lying in wet mud or playing in the rain!
    It was interesting to observe Lily being extra upset about being wet on her legs. Tyro doesn't mind being sprayed down but jumps around as the water drips down his legs from his body and acts like there's a spider crawling on him. Usually doesn't last long with him as he either starts tearing around the yard or doing the beached whale routine and flailing about on the grass...

Christi`s Photos

He is very big, and very powerful. Roxy is just a sweetheart. Now she is not so mad, and Apollo actually jumped up for a hug and kisses. I am making Tommy finish up the brushing, since he has forgiven me for now. I will go back over it later.

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    He is very big, and very powerful. Roxy is just a sweetheart. Now she is not so mad, and Apollo actually jumped up for a hug and kisses. I am making Tommy finish up the brushing, since he has forgiven me for now. I will go back over it later.
    Yeah, the "aunts" come in handy for finishing up sad chores too. I'm stuck with nail trims but they have to help with brushing. Wouldn't you know that my Pyr would rather not be brushed and my short-haired boy adores it and would lie there all ay while you brushed him!

Christi`s Photos

Oh how funny, same thing here. Apollo doesn't like being brushed much but gosh Roxy is in hog heaven when she is getting brushed. Funny how that works.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Missy just tolerates everything I put her through. When she is bathed at the shop the JFO does it but, I have to do her nails, shave her pads and round her feet. Her last bath was at home in the portable tub and I did it. Thankfully she is never mad at me over it.

Christi`s Photos

Ya know though now that he is all brushed out and dry he seems pretty content. I managed to get 2 grocery bags of fur off him too. Looks like he has lost 10 pounds.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

Fin dug up an entire tree in the backyard right before it rained and then proceeded to "swim" in the mud pond that ensued...so a trip to the "doggy car wash" was necessary. my sister snapped this picture of him while I was trying to get the mud off his belly...if looks could kill!! afterwards he went out of his way to ignore/sass me...as evidenced by the second pic! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	7161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150620_115800586.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	7162 he forgave me after a trip to the treat bar in petco