Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

I too, am having the same issues with my Pyr. She is 19 weeks and came home at 15 weeks. Some days (and nights) go better than others. I have the same issue with coming in from outside and within 5 minutes she will pee. Does anyone have any novel ideas with respect to this? I am a first time Pyr owner. I did research the breed and was prepared for stubbornness, etc. I had a bit of trouble like this when training our Bernese Mountain Dog several years ago. But my Pyr has surpassed her in length of time it's taking to "get it"!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Westmo, Sebastian was a very slow learner when it came to house training. He was nearly a year and a half old when he stopped going potty inside on purpose. Once he “got it”, though, he really stuck with it. He will wake me up in the middle of the night if he has to when there is a potty emergency.

For the longest time, I blamed myself for the amount of time it took Sebastian to “get it” about not pottying in the house. Then Chester came to live with us. Chester was essentially fed but feral before becoming part of our family. The first night with us was most likely the first time he had ever slept indoors. He was roughly a year old, and took maybe six weeks to catch on.

I would suggest patience, patience, more patience, and a good enzymatic cleaner. I tried a bunch of them over the course of the 13 months (!) it took me to house train Sebastian, and my favorite by far is SImple Green Bio Dog. It can be a bit hard to find in stores these days, but I’m pretty sure you can find it on chewy.com and Amazon. Also, if you have carpet, I recommend investing in a deep cleaner. You will be absolutely horrified by what comes out of the dirty water reservoir.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Westmo, Sebastian was a very slow learner when it came to house training. He was nearly a year and a half old when he stopped going potty inside on purpose. Once he “got it”, though, he really stuck with it. He will wake me up in the middle of the night if he has to when there is a potty emergency.

For the longest time, I blamed myself for the amount of time it took Sebastian to “get it” about not pottying in the house. Then Chester came to live with us. Chester was essentially fed but feral before becoming part of our family. The first night with us was most likely the first time he had ever slept indoors. He was roughly a year old, and took maybe six weeks to catch on.

I would suggest patience, patience, more patience, and a good enzymatic cleaner. I tried a bunch of them over the course of the 13 months (!) it took me to house train Sebastian, and my favorite by far is SImple Green Bio Dog. It can be a bit hard to find in stores these days, but I’m pretty sure you can find it on chewy.com and Amazon. Also, if you have carpet, I recommend investing in a deep cleaner. You will be absolutely horrified by what comes out of the dirty water reservoir.
    Thank you so much. I feel better now. I have also blamed myself. I've had many pups through out my life and never have had this much trouble. I did research the Pyr before deciding to move forward with fulfilling a life long desire to have one. I think a couple of different factors contribute to this issue. First, you are the first person to use the word "ferel". I've said Aspen was all but ferel when I got her and I know it is because most breeders breed specifically for LGD. Second, obviously, they are a large breed and therefore, look like a full grown dog at only 3 months. It has caused me to be too lax in how often I take her out. Regardless, you have made me feel much better. I do have a carpet cleaner and have used it several times already! I am puppy patient. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. Hopefully she gets it sooner than later though!!!😀

Young Dawg (Member) Meatball Murphy's Avatar

Omg...... I too am having issues house training Molly, she is 15 weeks and goes inside even if door is left open to outside. Murphy is 7 months and got it right away, these too are complete opposites at everything lol.
    I feel your frustration
    Keep your soul clean
    And
    Your boots dirty.

Road Dawg

We are struggling a bit with this, too. Max quickly decided that he prefers to potty in the backyard. But if the mood strikes him and he isn't in the backyard, he feels that the least used rooms in the house should suffice for poop. He won't pee, but he will sneak off to poop in our gameroom or study. And he poops fast! He'll be out of sight for 20 seconds and I will find a "gift." And of course, he's only 6 months and is a baby...but he's 67 pounds and waist high, easy to forget he's not even close to grown. Enzyme cleaner, praise and occasional treats for outside poop, a bell on the backdoor, and a better understanding of his digestive schedule have all helped.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by JackieW View Post
    Brand new to the site. Roscoe is my 15 week old and the first Great Pyr I've had the pleasure of parenting He came home at 10 weeks and all started out pretty well in the housebreaking arena. He began to go to the door when he needed to go out, very few accidents. He is crated during the day, sleeps in our bed at night , no accidents ever there. Over the past week and a half he is peeing constantly in the house. Tonight he went once in the house, we went outside...he went twice out there and them came in and within 5 minutes peed in the house again. I did not have this issue with my other 2 dogs, was wondering if anyone has experienced this? I'm feeling like he could have a UTI or something medical going on? Just seemed like 3 steps forward and 10 back in a very short time. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks and happy I found this site!!!
    I also have the same issues and came to this site for the first time seeking answers as you have. My pup is about five and a half months old. Still fighting it!

Young Dawg (Member) Meatball Murphy's Avatar

I'm at 5 months now Molly still has 1 pre in house over night.
    As for your frequent peeing I would say Uti but I'm not a vet. Natural remedies won't hurt though. Apple Cider Vineagar, cranberry pills or you can get Bladder Support chews at any pet store. Won't hurt and good luck housebreaking
    Keep your soul clean
    And
    Your boots dirty.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to the Max View Post
    We are struggling a bit with this, too. Max quickly decided that he prefers to potty in the backyard. But if the mood strikes him and he isn't in the backyard, he feels that the least used rooms in the house should suffice for poop. He won't pee, but he will sneak off to poop in our gameroom or study. And he poops fast! He'll be out of sight for 20 seconds and I will find a "gift." And of course, he's only 6 months and is a baby...but he's 67 pounds and waist high, easy to forget he's not even close to grown. Enzyme cleaner, praise and occasional treats for outside poop, a bell on the backdoor, and a better understanding of his digestive schedule have all helped.
    It should be lavish treating for an outside poop. And lots of praise and and acting silly. Make it a party when he actually poops outside. My neighbors thought I was nuts, I sang a silly song, danced around and gave high value treats, Apollo liked duck. So Duck jerky in good supply did me very well with house breaking!