Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

JackieW`s Photos

Default Housebreaking....help!!!!

Brand new to the site. Roscoe is my 15 week old and the first Great Pyr I've had the pleasure of parenting He came home at 10 weeks and all started out pretty well in the housebreaking arena. He began to go to the door when he needed to go out, very few accidents. He is crated during the day, sleeps in our bed at night , no accidents ever there. Over the past week and a half he is peeing constantly in the house. Tonight he went once in the house, we went outside...he went twice out there and them came in and within 5 minutes peed in the house again. I did not have this issue with my other 2 dogs, was wondering if anyone has experienced this? I'm feeling like he could have a UTI or something medical going on? Just seemed like 3 steps forward and 10 back in a very short time. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks and happy I found this site!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Hi and welcome!!! Would love to see pics of the little one! Potty training can be a challenge, wasn't for me but a lot of people have issues. What I did was take the little one out. have treats in my pocket and made it a HUGE deal when we pottied outside. I made up a song that I sang to him, gave him treats, told him how wonderful he was danced around and generally made a fool of myself! Now I would definatly have him checked for UTI, but chances are he is fine. Its HOT and I bet he is drinking lots and lots of water and still has a tiny little bladder. Also are you using an enzyme to clean up his messes? You can clean with a regular cleaner and to us the smell is gone, but they can still smell it there.

Also I wouldn't punish the dog for going in the house, this will often backfire because then they think that Peeing in general is bad, and will go hide to pee. When mine had an accident in the house he was quickly taken out and I came in cleared the mess used Natures Miracle and then brought him back in. Prys especially are very diffirent and you really have to make a lot of concessions to thier personality and breeding.

This will pass and he will end up being a wonderful friend and companion and know where the right place is to potty

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome JackieW & Roscoe....

As Christi said....clean up is important...I used the Nature's Miracle as well to clean, then followed with Nature's Miracle No Mark....

Is Roscoe "going" in the same place all the time? Do you think there is residual from other pets marking the area? You can double check...get a black light source & shine it in several areas that Roscoe has gone, if it is clean you will not find any light marks....if you see light areas...get back to cleaning!

Limit his water intake, last sip at 8-9 PM, then potty outside, then maybe instead of letting him have full run of the house, confine him to an area he doesn't pee in...your bedroom maybe?

And I second getting an opinion from your vet on the possibility of a urinary infection.

He will get this.....and we will look forward to reading about more of his antics as he grows up!

Nancy & Rudy

JackieW`s Photos

Thanks so much for the advice guys!! Last night after I posted he became a cuddle bug which is not normal for him so I knew he wasn't feeling well. We went to the vet today and he does have a UTI. I hate that my little guy is sick but relieved to know there's a medical reason and not just poor training on my end or stubbornness on his Hopefully we will get back on track once his infection clears! I do use Natures Miracle, that stuff is great!!! I'm going to shampoo all of the carpets with it this weekend.
    I added his picture as my profile pic last night but for some reason it's not displaying, probably operator error I'll work on that. Thanks again!!!

love the profile pic of Roscoe!!!
    glad you got him checked out...now on the way to new adventures!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

Perhaps I was lucky... I had Wiley housebroken (for the most part) in the first two week. Now, accidents WILL happen with a puppy, so I prepared for that. I set up an exercise pen in the living room. Underneath that, I put a blue plastic tarp, with a sheet over it. I had another blue tarp in the den with a sheet over it. He was supervised almost 100% of the time for the first few months. You learn quickly to spot the signals (circling/tail up). Everytime I took him out (at minimum every two hours), I took him to the door, said "outside", and took him out. When he started to "go", I said "go potty", and praised him when he did. I usually gave him a treat too. If he started to go INSIDE, I immediately picked him up, said "outside", and bolted for the door. When outside, I'd again say "go potty" when he started to go, and praise him and reward him with a treat. Now, granted, I did a LOT of laundry the first few months. But... it worked for me... AND for Wiley. There's no foolproof method... all pups are different. You'll just have to find what works for you. "patience of a saint, patience of a saint..." Hang in there!

Road Dawg

Kind of an old thread to post but.....

We bought a Purina dog treat, chicken jerky. We followed the recommended puppy amount on the bag.

Our ~11wk old pry lost seemingly all bladder control. Literally every 5-10 minutes inside the house and outside.
    Terrible. We also considered a UTI.

But she was all better in about 10 or so hours.

We still give the treat on occasion but only a small amount.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFury View Post
    We bought a Purina dog treat, chicken jerky.
    I would ditch those treats RIGHT NOW. There have been too many problems with chicken jerky treats sourced from China over the years that I wouldn't risk it. I think Purina is one of the manufacturers whose chicken jerky treat has been blamed for major health problems, kidney problems. It would not worth risking the life of my puppy.

Road Dawg

Wow thanks Jewel for the information, I called my family right away!!

For what it's worth....check all treats/food bags very closely....

some will say "Distributed in the USA" NOT "Made in the USA" also make sure that the product doesn't say...
    "main ingredient from China, made in the USA"

it gets tricky!! some people don't mind taking the chance...I am not one of them...hubby always checks packages before he buys anything for the dogs too!