Thread: Allergies?

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Allergies?

Our great pyrenees who is 3 in august has been struggling. Heavy hair loss, odor itching non stop. He's been to vet 2x and we finally concluded a beef allergy so he's been on salmon nature domain grain free... he had another episode caught earlier and was put on steroids antibiotics and anti itch again. He got better and is now starting again. We can't afford to keep taking him in but I need tips advise suggestions on what else could be bothering him. He's half inside half outside no table scraps and never had problems first 2 years. Anything helps. Also new to the forums, wanted advise from actual owners not Google. Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2118.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	7130  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rebbetzin's Avatar

Rebbetzin`s Photos

Have you tried Dinovite?
    http://www.dinovite.com/seven_signs.html

Puppy (New Member)

I haven't. Do you use it? I will look into it..

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I have Missy on Missing Link Skin and Coat...my sister has used Dinovite on her Pitbull though and swears by it.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rebbetzin's Avatar

Rebbetzin`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by sdcourchaine View Post
    I haven't. Do you use it? I will look into it..
    We used it with our Cane Corso, he had food allergies. So far, Cherokee doesn't have any problems.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) MBHfromNH's Avatar

MBHfromNH`s Photos

My female Pyr has some digestive issues and itching so the Vet did the blood test for food allergies and it came back with a list that left us with very few options. We changed the diet and did not see much of an improvement. On the Forum here a breeder - Espinay - recommended "Nutriscan" by Dr. Jean Dodds (a saliva test) which tests for food sensitivities vs food allergy. Not cheap but we went ahead and did that based on also talking to the local training/grooming group and also the trainer we were working with who also had a Pyr with food issues - all recommended NutriScan. The Nutriscan results pointed to a completely different protein source as the problem. One more change and things have been good ever since. Dr. Dodds is also an expert on diagnosing thyroid issues and she runs a blood bank for canines out of her California practice. Since she was recommended by Espinay (who doesn't reside in the US) I thought it was worth the effort and cost and indeed it has been both. They consider you their patient after the test and will consult with you via phone on food options.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) CaseysMom's Avatar

CaseysMom`s Photos

sdcourchaine:

I posted on another thread called "What do you feed your dog?" and got a lot of useful advice and information there. I spent hundreds of dollars at the vet's office and more hundreds on different dog foods trying to find a food my pyr could tolerate - he had chronic diarrhea for months after I adopted him from a farm at 8 months old - so I can feel your pain; the vet visits and the meds are very expensive. In my case, the vet couldn't find a cause for it (tested for coccidia and giardia along with many other causes), so he was on very expensive prescription food for six months and every time I tried to change him to a less expensive food, the diarrhea would start again. I am also a newcomer to this forum, so I needed advice on what to do with a pyr with such a sensitive system.

Jewel wrote a reply to my post which helped tremendously. All the vet told me was to find a food for "dogs with sensitive stomachs;" she told me nothing about matching the levels of fat, fiber, etc. which were in the food that worked. Once I did that, he's had no more problems with diarrhea (still have my fingers crossed; we're still at 50:50 ratio because I'm taking it very slowly). Other things which were suggested were pumpkin added to his food (which I'm doing) and digestive enzymes. I would suggest that you also look up the other thread; might give you more ideas. By the way: Cute picture - makes me smile every time I look at it.