Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jasminsosa08`s Photos

Default What games can I play with him?

I have a four month old Great Pyrenees, and he's very playful but I also am aware of what he's bred to do. He's a guarding dog, and I have nothing for him to guard. I don't want him to feel useless when he grows bigger knowing it can cause behavioral problems. I take him out to walk twice a day, and play with him frequently inside. I have a gated backyard in which he also plays in, but more than me, a soccer ball and a few sticks he has nothing else to play with. I was just curious if theirs anything I can do to help his instinct to guard that will eventually arise? Or any games I can play with him to keep him attentive and low stressed? thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1433722891833.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	7129  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Well, he will guard you, your home, your yard and anything else he feels is his. I also have a pyr and no flock. So the people in my household are his flock. As to play, we have loads of toys, and Apollo goes throush phases with them. Currently he likes the rope toys, he will run around with them and encourage people or even the other dog to play tug with him. When it was just him and we couldn't take him around other dogs, we played with a flirty pole. This did wonders for running his energy out, a tired dog is a good dog. As to the guarding, he will grow into whatever he was going to grow into. I understand your thinking, but honestly a Pyr can be a wonderful pet without having a "job". I have a pyr and a border collie mix, both are from the working group, and they live happy fulfilled lives being loved and treasured members of the family.

This is a good tutorial about making a flirty pole.
    http://teamunruly.com/?p=3281

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Skippy's Avatar

Hi Jamin,

I would also play hide and seek with him inside and out. Did that with Lollie many times. If she was off leash, I would hide and when she looked back, I wasn't there. She would coming looking. Can do this in the house too. Lollie would fetch for a little while, but if I was hidden, it would start a hunt. Enjoy

Road Dawg

Flirt pole and hide-and-seek are great suggestions.

I was curious of any more suggestions how to play in a healthy positive way with a pup?
    Thanks.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jasminsosa08 View Post
    I have a four month old Great Pyrenees, and he's very playful but I also am aware of what he's bred to do. He's a guarding dog, and I have nothing for him to guard. I don't want him to feel useless when he grows bigger knowing it can cause behavioral problems. I take him out to walk twice a day, and play with him frequently inside. I have a gated backyard in which he also plays in, but more than me, a soccer ball and a few sticks he has nothing else to play with. I was just curious if theirs anything I can do to help his instinct to guard that will eventually arise? Or any games I can play with him to keep him attentive and low stressed? thanks.
    You don't have to worry about him not having anything to guard. He has you, your house and anything else he decides belongs to him. He will make sure he doesn't feel useless in this regard! Guarding is something that is as natural to these dogs as breathing. You don't teach it to them, it is part of their DNA... As far as helping him, the best thing you can do now is to give your baby a lot of socialization with different types of people and situations so that when his guarding instinct kicks in, it is tempered by his many positive experiences. Many folks think it is good to see "guardy" type behavior in a pup. If you want a well-socialized adult dog, you don't want to be seeing or condoning "guardy" behavior in a pup. You want him to be as positive about everything as possible right now so his natural instinct will be tempered with wisdom as he matures. I don't mean to sound overbearing on this one but have seen some beautiful dogs ruined because their people didn't understand the importance of socializing a pup before the guarding instinct really kicks in. They ended up with dogs that were highly suspicious and not safe to have around their family visitors, etc. I spend half my life socializing our dogs because we have so many visitors and we need to know that they will be reliable even when they move out of their puppyhood and start becoming serious guardians.

As far as games, whatever you can do to get the puppy energy drained is going to hep your boy be calmer and well behaved. Undrained puppy energy is not your friend and causes a whole lot of training problems that you can avoid by wearing him out. The flirt pole is a great idea to help do the puppy drain. I did something similar with a rope toy on the end of a leash that I would drag around and our pup would chase. At this age, your pup should be doing some teething and would likely be interested in things he can chew. Mine adore antlers and Ru chewed on a 6' long branch for a few weeks during the worst of her teething. It was her favorite toy back then. Ru really loves rope toys that swing around and whack her in the side when she shakes them. We don;t do stuffed toys anymore because they lose interest as soon as the stuffing has been removed. Mine also really like the toys you get that you insert an empty water bottle into. They love the crackling sound. We do a lot of playing with boxes and old towels and sheets. The sheet game is my dogs' all-time favorite game... I know they are weird. I think it comes from spending too much time with me!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2109 (2).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	7370
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2171 (2).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	7371

Road Dawg

OMGosh I (we) just discovered the firt pole.
    I got a 5 foot length of 1/4" PVC and a 9 foot nylon rope, tied an old (clean) rag into a knot and the rope around the rag.

This is the greatest thing on Earth! It's so fun to gently play with her with it.