Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Antonia`s Photos

Default Thoughts about strange fur

I'm attaching some pictures of Lily's fur. It is very odd in the way it grows in multiple directions. Makes it very difficult to keep looking nice. It's almost like she's got multi-direction fur. When we adopted Lily in November, she had almost no fur and was very emaciated. Not sure if she was shaved at some point or her fur was just super thin due to malnutrition and having recently raised puppies... Her fur is plenty thick now but doesn't act normally and isn't shedding out like I would expect given that the temps are in the upper 90s here. She's in great condition now and we've been giving her fish oil to help her coat since getting her. Any thoughts?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Hmmm that is strange. Apollo is going through an awkward stage with his fur, but its not all swirly like that. I am not sure what to make of it though. Will most likely have to wait on Tsuni for this one.

Antonia`s Photos

It's impossible to keep looking nice. Even if you do an intensive brushing, within about an hour everything looks like this again. Probably people are wondering why the nuns don't brush their poor dogs. I'm especially concerned at the amount of fur she's holding on to. You can see around her neck that her fur is VERY thick. It is way too hot for this amount of fur and the heat is bothering her. Worry about her when she's working at night.

Christi`s Photos

Ya know i wonder if someone used a furminator on her at some point? I know that wreaks havoc with their undercoat. LOoks to me in the pictures that its the undercoat that is odd. I bet she is really hot, Apollo is having issues with the heat already and its just in the 80's here, I am sure its far hotter where you are poor Lily!

Antonia`s Photos

Really anything is possible since we don't know her history but her condition when she was found last summer indicated it had been quite some time since anyone did anything in the way of care for this precious girl. I'm still working to get her nails back to some kind of acceptable length. Her undercoat is the bigger issue. It's just really weird and I'm at a loss to know what to do with it and the hot weather. She hates water so spraying her off from time to time like I do with the others isn't really an option either... We're spending a lot of time on cool tile floors right now!

Christi`s Photos

I have a question for you, I have noticed that the claws on Apollos double dew claws are hollow, is that normal? Or am I doing something wrong with trimming them ? I kinda think I am not cutting them back enough, but I am so afraid of nicking his quick.

Antonia`s Photos

Lily's are somewhat "hollow" towards the end but in her case it is because they are so overgrown. I am expecting that as I get them back to a good length the hollow part won't really be in evidence anymore. On Lily it's easy to tell where the quick is because she's got pale nails. The dew claws on both my Pyrs and Kangals are not quite the same as the other nails. The two sides of the dews tend to grow up to each other, creating the hollow part. Tsuni is no doubt the expert on this but I trim with a clipper and then file the edges to open it up a bit more. I've failed with getting them to allow me to use the Dremel without a rodeo so it's back to the old fashioned way!

Christi`s Photos

Then I bet I am not cutting them back far enough. I was thinking i wasn't so i need to cut more and fix it.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

It's because she isn't purebred. Missy has a very similar problem and the only time she has been shaved was one leg for surgery purposes only. She has to be brushed everyday because, the Berner in her has such a different type of coat that the Pyr undercoat just doesn't come out right. So I brush her once a day and it helps a lot.

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunibear View Post
    It's because she isn't purebred. Missy has a very similar problem and the only time she has been shaved was one leg for surgery purposes only. She has to be brushed everyday because, the Berner in her has such a different type of coat that the Pyr undercoat just doesn't come out right. So I brush her once a day and it helps a lot.
    Tsuni, I knew you would have the answer! What do you think about the fact that she isn't shedding out properly? I know shaving double coated breeds is a serious no-no and have never done it with any of my dogs here is AZ (Kangals have a double coat too, just not on such grandiose lines as the Pyrs) but looking at Lily right now I can see how you would be tempted. Makes me sick thinking about how hot she must be with all that fur...