Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Just wanted to note a problem my Pyr was having with not having gained enough muscle mass for her size. She's doing better now, but we had to switch her food to Royal Canin Giant. They have a whole line for the giant breeds, and it was vet recommended and we've seen a huge improvement in the muscle mass in her back legs. Right now she's about 13-14 months old, and she's on the Junior Giant until she's 2 years old, and then will be switching to Royal Canin Giant Adult for life. Lots of foods out there don't have what is needed for these enormous growth spurts and huge dogs. Our Tela is around 126 lbs and still growing -- its amazing how big and beautiful she is. If we didn't catch the muscle mass problem early, it could have contributed to worse problems later in life, just a warning and how something so simple can really affect a dogs quality of life. I wish the Royal Canin wasn't so expensive, but the recommended feeding amount is less than the amount Nutro recommended, so I find we're spending the same anyway. Good luck to all your growing pups

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by TELAmae View Post
    Just wanted to note a problem my Pyr was having with not having gained enough muscle mass for her size.
    Can you give more details of your pup's background? How old was she when you got her? What did you feed her and how much did you feed her? She's very large at over 100 lbs at a year old. So I think it would be good if you can share with us how she lacks muscles when she's that size??!!

Puppy (New Member)

We offer Duke 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening. He rarely finishes breakfast and sometimes leaves the house without eating breakfast at all, so his appetite is generally small. Although, we added bone broth to his food once, and now he'd rather have broth wth his food, spoiled pup. I read gp's can have a petite apppetite for such a large dog so don't believe Duke's eating habits are unusual. He stays fairly thin, around 86 pounds at ~18 months. Not sure of exact age, he was a rescue. muscle mass is adequate but still growing. I've read it takes 2 years before gp's grow into their body full form. 126# seems high for a 13-14 month old. What was weight prior to Royal Canin switch? Just curious if we should switch food. Duke's hind legs are not super muscular but I thought that is just how he is built, a little bit lanky but the vet hasn't said anything negative about his weight and health.