Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Bumping thread for new puppy member

Bumping again,
    I was looking for threads on feeding raw found this so bumped it for kibble feeders.
    Anyone feed raw and know of a good thread on here or I'll be searching for ever. Lol
    Keep your soul clean
    And
    Your boots dirty.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Logic is very simple, it's easier on most people to feed twice a day. Some people even feed once a day, but that is not recommended for these large dogs to eat a lot in one sitting, that's why it's recommended to split it up into 2 feedings.

In those articles they talk about the most important mineral not to overfeed is calcium (with overall energy intake being the second important issue). They say that pups under 6 months do not have the ability to flush out excess calcium and therefore it's important to limit calcium intake or they are likely to develop structural deformity. Once they reach 6 months, their bodies begin to be able to flush out excess calcium. I think that's the logic at switching to adult formula at 6 months. My overly cautious view is the pup should get a formula that contains low calcium level (no more than 1.5%) until it is a year old. You can find adult and all life stage formula kibbles that contain less than 1.5% calcium. Those would be acceptable to feed pups.
    The calcium to phosphorus ratio is of particular importance as well (both are in bone) and a ratio greater than 1:1 in giant breeds can result in bone deformities and weakness.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by CBdeJ View Post
    The calcium to phosphorus ratio is of particular importance as well (both are in bone) and a ratio greater than 1:1 in giant breeds can result in bone deformities and weakness.
    The articles addresses that issue. I'd defer to the experts.

Puppy (New Member) ReneeDegutis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Logic is very simple, it's easier on most people to feed twice a day. Some people even feed once a day, but that is not recommended for these large dogs to eat a lot in one sitting, that's why it's recommended to split it up into 2 feedings.

In those articles they talk about the most important mineral not to overfeed is calcium (with overall energy intake being the second important issue). They say that pups under 6 months do not have the ability to flush out excess calcium and therefore it's important to limit calcium intake or they are likely to develop structural deformity. Once they reach 6 months, their bodies begin to be able to flush out excess calcium. I think that's the logic at switching to adult formula at 6 months. My overly cautious view is the pup should get a formula that contains low calcium level (no more than 1.5%) until it is a year old. You can find adult and all life stage formula kibbles that contain less than 1.5% calcium. Those would be acceptable to feed pups.
    Hello Jewel,

What is the optimal diet for a Great Pyrenees adult? Sally is already 2 years and we've been sticking to 2 feedings, but I'm not sure if it's enough. Though he's quite large for his age. And what do you think about feeding raw?

Thanks,
    Renee

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ReneeDegutis View Post
    What is the optimal diet for a Great Pyrenees adult?
    I don't think there is a single optimal diet since they are each so different. It depends on the dog responds. These days there are so many different options of commercial foods - kibbles, canned, dehydrated, freeze dried raw, minimally processed air dried. Raw works great for some but that takes a bit more work on the part of the human. I feed a combination of kibbles, home cooked, and raw meaty bones. I am not very good at sticking to one food type. I tend share with Ren whatever I eat. I make sure he has a true omnivore diet I think raw diet can work if you do all the research and you have the freezer room and you are willing to do the work to maintain Sally on raw.

Why do you think Sally's not getting enough with 2 feedings? Sometimes it's not the volume but the calorie/fat content of the food. With my last pair, the two in my avatar pic, 1/2 of their diet was home cooked. I learned when I fed turkey over a period of time, such as after Thanksgiving when turkey would be on sale, Bro would lose weight even though he was fed the same amount. Turkey was too lean to keep up with his energy burn rate. That's different than just the dog acting hungry all the time. Some dogs just love to eat. Bro loved to eat. But if I let him eat as much as he wanted to, he would have been gianormously fat. So even though he wanted to eat all the time, I paid attention only to his boy condition. If he was in good body condition, he didn't get to eat extra, but if he felt more bony, he got more food.

also... out of curiosity, where did you get Sally? He is gorgeous.

cooltouch`s Photos

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Well, this thread is well timed for me and my Great Pyr pup. He'll be 7 months old in a week. We had him at the vet's about 3 weeks ago and he weighed 60 lb, so he's still on that 10 lb per month track -- or at least he was. Over these past few weeks, however, he's shown a general loss of appetite, if I can call it that. I just finished reading a couple of articles that were linked in the first post of this thread and I now have a better appreciation for dietary needs for large breeds such as ours. I'm even beginning to think that this slacking off of his might be normal.

We've been feeding Charlie a combination of Pedigree canned food -- sometimes the puppy flavor, often just the regular stuff -- and Kirkland Signature (Costco) Puppy kibbles, which is chicken and green pea flavor. Up until about a week ago, we were feeding him about 50/50 canned food and moistened kibbles 3x a day (half a can of the canned food and about half a can's worth of the moistened kibble), supplemented by 3 or 4 cups of dry kibbles a day. So he was getting in total 1.5 cans of canned food and about 4.5 or 5.5 cups of kibble a day. Looking at the charts on the bag and the cans, this seems about right if you adjust the numbers for the mixes. For the past week, we've started giving him a whole can of canned food per feeding and continuing with the 3 to 4 cups of kibble a day.

So, after reading through those articles, I'm wondering now if we're trying to feed him too much. He seems to be naturally adjusting to what he should eat, however, since it isn't unusual for him now to skip a feeding altogether, or do things like eat half of each portion for each meal.

Behavior-wise, he's normal. He's good humored and playful. He loves running around in our big back yard and playing with his various outside toys. In the house, he enjoys chasing our cats whenever they run from him. He's quite energetic and still tries to climb into our laps when we're sitting in chairs that he thinks will let him climb aboard. He also plays around a lot with his inside toys.

The reason why I came here to visit today was because I was concerned about the slacking off of his appetite and wanted to find out more about this breed's eating habits -- if there were such a thing. Now that I've read that article, I'm gonna go look for puppy food for large growth dogs. Anything else I should be aware of?
    Best,
    Michael

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    we were feeding him about 50/50 canned food and moistened kibbles 3x a day (half a can of the canned food and about half a can's worth of the moistened kibble), supplemented by 3 or 4 cups of dry kibbles a day. So he was getting in total 1.5 cans of canned food and about 4.5 or 5.5 cups of kibble a day.
    Are you talking about the 13 oz size canned food? 1.5 cans of that size plus 4.5 to 5.5 cups of kibbles is a lot of food. A can of wet is over 400 calories. Ren weighed about the same as Charlie at 6 months but Ren wouldn't eat nearly that much. At best I got him to eat 4 cups a day.

At 7 months you can put Charlie on 2 feedings instead of 3. But that's your choice. Also, actually at 7 months the puppy's body is able to discard excess calcium and thus there isn't as much concern about limiting calcium.

With some of these pups, their growth starts to taper off at 6 months. Others will continue to gain 10 lbs per month until they are 8-9 months. Ren's growth slowed at 6 months. He was 60 lbs at 6 months and he didn't hit 80 until he was 10 months. Perhaps Charlie could be like that, and if so, it could explain why he's not needing as much food/energy intake. I would say just watch his energy level and if he stays bright & alert, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Ren has never been a consistent eater. He would go through periods of big appetite then he would be not very enthusiastic about kibbles for periods. But he never refused to eat altogether. As long as Ren maintained his condition and not visibly losing weight, I didn't worry too much.

cooltouch`s Photos

Thanks for the feedback, Jewel. Yes, it sounds like Charlie is similar to Ren. I think he may be entering into a similar period as Ren did between 6 and 10 months. Yes, I was referring to the 13.2 oz (375g) size can. Thing of it is, when he was smaller, he would gobble down his meal -- which was half canned and half moistened kibble -- in just a few minutes. We also typically will have about a cup or so of the dry kibble in another bowl and then what he'd do after he finished the wet stuff is he'd move to the dry stuff and crunch on a few mouthfuls before he decided he was through. These days, it doesn't seem much to matter. Some times he'll crunch on the dry stuff first and sometimes the wet, but not with the same gusto as when he was younger.

I think he's ready for us to switch him to two feedings a day. Maybe that will improve his eating habits as well.

He appears to be developmentally normal, as I mentioned before. He's always in good spirits and can get quite energetic. He loves going outside to play. When he was younger he was a bit on the stocky side, but now he is leaner, but very well muscled. And he is strong. Like you, I'm not worrying too much, I was mostly just curious, figuring that his appetite was probably a maturational thing.
    Best,
    Michael

cooltouch`s Photos

I thought I'd do a follow up on this, since it's been a bit over two weeks since my last post.

We changed Charlie's feedings to two per day immediately following my above post. So for a little over two weeks now, he's been on two meals of canned food per day. One can about 7:30am and one can about 7:30pm. The immediate difference we noticed was that he was hungrier come mealtime and tended to eat the entirety of is canned food meal. We continued to offer him a couple of cups of dry puppy kibble between meals. Sometimes more, if he finished the two cups well before dinner time.

Since I believe Charlie was born the last day of May, 2018, I just call the first of the month his birth anniversary, and because he was born then, I made a mistake above when I said he was 7 months old. In fact, he just turned 7 months the first of January. I suspect he's still on track with his 10 lbs/mo growth rate as well. He's gotten awfully big. His mother, who lives sort of behind us, and who shares a fence with us, is not as big as he is, but I suspect she weighs a bit more.
    Best,
    Michael