Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Default Information on Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition

Here are some articles that provide information on why it is so important to avoid speeding up growth rate of giant breed pups and what to watch out for regarding nutritional intake.

“Nutritional Risks to Large and Giant Breed Dogs: From Weaning to the Geriatric Years”
    Susan D. Lauten, PhD
    http://portais.ufg.br/uploads/66/ori...as_grandes.pdf

“Dietary Mineral Levels Affect Bone Development in Great Dane Pups”
    Henry J. Baker DVM
    http://www.bestfriendsvet.com/pdffil...vArticleWa.pdf

“Why Overgowing Your Large Breed Puppy is Dangerous”
    Dr. Karen Becker DVM
    http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...eed-puppy.aspx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Jewel, thank you for making this information easily available. Despite having read a great deal over the years with our LGDs, I'm doing even more research lately. Tyro's CHD has been such a sad situation and I want so much for our new baby to be ok as she grows... Working with a good friend who is a retired veterinarian and who owns 5 Kangals, one of which is her highly trained service dog (she has MS).

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Thank you for sharing this. It's kinda interesting that I was just thinking that I should switch Apollo to an all stages food and you put this up. Great information to have available.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

Good information, tho I wish it went further. Wiley's approaching 6 months of age, & weighs in somewhere around the 60-65 lb range. Lately, he's become QUITE the finicky eater. Had been giving him 2 cups of kibble 3x a day (which he always gobbled up)... never a problem til the last few weeks. As of late, am lucky to get him to eat twice a day, & even then, it's a challenge. Now, I know the growth cycle is an irregular thing... that lulls in the cycle are to be expected. BUT... his counter surfing has increased dramatically... he's always looking for food. He just won't touch what's in his bowl (Holistic Select Lg/Giant Breed Puppy Food). The other night, I decided to try something, when he wouldn't touch his food. I use freeze-dried liver for treats... which he always loves. There's always a bunch of "powdered liver" in the bottom of the treat bags. So I mixed some of it in with his food & he gobbled it right up. A little variety sure seems to bring his appetite back. Stopped into the pet store today & the owner gave me some samples of a high-quality freeze-dried food. I crumbled it up & mixed a little of it (maybe 2-3 tsp) in with his usual kibble... once again, he gobbled it right up. I know this is a slippery slope... I don't want to CREATE a picky eater... but I also want him to be properly nourished. Am also wondering when is the proper time to back down from 3x per day to 2x per day. What sayeth the experts???

Jewel`s Photos

It's time to cut back to two meals. If he gets 4 cups down a day, he will not be malnourished.

As to adding toppings to his food to encourage eating... you're on your own there... you'll have to decide how far you are willing to go... I am no help because I spend hours each week cooking for my two...

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

I'm curious about this... does it really matter if he's fed 2x or 3x a day, assuming the total daily intake (6 cups) is the same? Also, there seems to be a lot of opinions on when to switch over to adult formula food. Some say 6 months, others say a year. My local pet shop recommended a year. He's been eating normally for the past week, provided I sprinkle some of the powder from his freeze dried liver treats into his food. I don't have a problem switching to twice a day, I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by slick61 View Post
    I don't have a problem switching to twice a day, I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it.
    Logic is very simple, it's easier on most people to feed twice a day. Some people even feed once a day, but that is not recommended for these large dogs to eat a lot in one sitting, that's why it's recommended to split it up into 2 feedings.

In those articles they talk about the most important mineral not to overfeed is calcium (with overall energy intake being the second important issue). They say that pups under 6 months do not have the ability to flush out excess calcium and therefore it's important to limit calcium intake or they are likely to develop structural deformity. Once they reach 6 months, their bodies begin to be able to flush out excess calcium. I think that's the logic at switching to adult formula at 6 months. My overly cautious view is the pup should get a formula that contains low calcium level (no more than 1.5%) until it is a year old. You can find adult and all life stage formula kibbles that contain less than 1.5% calcium. Those would be acceptable to feed pups.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Logic is very simple, it's easier on most people to feed twice a day. Some people even feed once a day, but that is not recommended for these large dogs to eat a lot in one sitting, that's why it's recommended to split it up into 2 feedings.

In those articles they talk about the most important mineral not to overfeed is calcium (with overall energy intake being the second important issue). They say that pups under 6 months do not have the ability to flush out excess calcium and therefore it's important to limit calcium intake or they are likely to develop structural deformity. Once they reach 6 months, their bodies begin to be able to flush out excess calcium. I think that's the logic at switching to adult formula at 6 months. My overly cautious view is the pup should get a formula that contains low calcium level (no more than 1.5%) until it is a year old. You can find adult and all life stage formula kibbles that contain less than 1.5% calcium. Those would be acceptable to feed pups.
    Thanks for the explanation... I've been feeding him Holistic Select Lg/Giant Breed Puppy Food... a low-calcium kibble. At 6 months (last week), he weighed in at 66 pounds... not too heavy, not too thin... seems to be doing just right (hopefully). Feeding either 2 or 3 times a day is no problem... my roommate is home during the day, & I'm home at night. Normally, we feed him at 7:30, again at noon, and then again around 6:30 or so... except for the nights we have obedience class... then I don't feed him til afterward... he's more attentive on an empty stomach!

Jewel`s Photos

The other thing is, Wiley is eating 6 cups now but that won't last long. He'll likely need to cut back in a few months as his energy requirement won't be as high as in his first 6 months. So, that's another reason why two feedings work well.

Jewel`s Photos

Bumping thread for understanding how to feed pyr pups...