Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default 6 and 8 month old double trouble

I got these pups for livestock guardians. I really did not know what I was doing and relied on the breeders to help me. Problem is once the breeders got the money they are no longer interested in helping. I am at a loss and just listed the pups for sale. I got them to guard farm birds. The breeders both told me they would be fine. They were the first month now they want to kill the birds. I got the ONLY to protect the birds not as pets. So now what? I am only home on the weekends and this is not sufficient time to train these puppies. Once I did even more research I find that many of these dogs can never be left alone with birds. I can't have more house dogs I already have 5 in the house. Has anyone here ever been successful in teaching these dogs to protect birds? Chickens, ducks and geese. I am in Virginia and getting desperate. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10987621_10153072723806425_931484403385202948_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	6913

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

That is WAY to young to be trustworthy. Best bet in keeping them would be to enclose the birds, and then have an out enclosure for the dogs, not allowing them to have access to the birds. I have heard of Pyr's guarding birds but at this age they are Puppies and full of energy and mischief and shouldn't be left alone with any live stock. Shame on the breeder for not explaining this to you.

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by barnmaidbren View Post
    I got these pups for livestock guardians. I really did not know what I was doing and relied on the breeders to help me. Problem is once the breeders got the money they are no longer interested in helping. I am at a loss and just listed the pups for sale. I got them to guard farm birds. The breeders both told me they would be fine. They were the first month now they want to kill the birds. I got the ONLY to protect the birds not as pets. So now what? I am only home on the weekends and this is not sufficient time to train these puppies. Once I did even more research I find that many of these dogs can never be left alone with birds. I can't have more house dogs I already have 5 in the house. Has anyone here ever been successful in teaching these dogs to protect birds? Chickens, ducks and geese. I am in Virginia and getting desperate. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10987621_10153072723806425_931484403385202948_n.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	6913
    They don't want to kill the birds. They are still just babies and want to play with the funny fluffy things that make funny noises. The problem is the birds are funny and are quite the attraction to a couple of playful young pups. They are mentally and emotionally about on a par with a couple of toddlers. As for training them ... unless you are a Pyr or other breed of LGD ...

Your best bet at this point remains the same as another thread I just replied to ... enclose the birds in an area that the Pyrs can patrol outside of, but, even at that what you are doing is the equivalent of asking a couple of 3 year old children to do the job of a couple of highly trained Secret Service officers.

You don't teach these guys to do something (being a guardian) that is at the very core of their being, but, you do have to apply the appropriate tool and putting a 6-8 month old puppy out to do a grown Pyr's work is not going to accomplish what you hope for. Even if they do ignore the birds there is no way that they are equipped mentally or physically to take on the role of guardian.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Skippy's Avatar

Amen to the already recommendations made.
    Do you live any where central NY? If one of those is a submissive female, I would be interested, if you are still going to put them up for sale.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

lol Skippy I was thinking the same thing

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Chicag0_Red View Post
    They don't want to kill the birds. They are still just babies and want to play with the funny fluffy things that make funny noises. The problem is the birds are funny and are quite the attraction to a couple of playful young pups. They are mentally and emotionally about on a par with a couple of toddlers. As for training them ... unless you are a Pyr or other breed of LGD ...

Your best bet at this point remains the same as another thread I just replied to ... enclose the birds in an area that the Pyrs can patrol outside of, but, even at that what you are doing is the equivalent of asking a couple of 3 year old children to do the job of a couple of highly trained Secret Service officers.

You don't teach these guys to do something (being a guardian) that is at the very core of their being, but, you do have to apply the appropriate tool and putting a 6-8 month old puppy out to do a grown Pyr's work is not going to accomplish what you hope for. Even if they do ignore the birds there is no way that they are equipped mentally or physically to take on the role of guardian.
    Red is very accurate in his description of a dog of this age being incapable of doing guarding work. I've had trained LGDs and my VERY UNUSUAL female LGD was successfully guarding livestock at the age of three but had lived with them from the time she was a pup, had grown up with skilled adult LGDs that mentored her and was never left alone in the pasture with the stock until I was sure there would be no puppy behavior. My male LGD was raised by her and he was over three years old before I considered him totally safe around all ages of livestock. The birds can be extra tricky. The dogs are capable of learning to be gentle with the birds but you are looking at a long maturing period for your pups when you will need to keep the birds totally away from the dogs. These pups are going to need some serious input and training to grow up to be successful LGDs. They cannot be turned loose at this age and have a good outcome for you or the dogs... It's my opinion that left to their own devices, they will spend their time thinking up mischief and games that you are not going to be happy with and won't be able to manage if you are only home on weekends. Perhaps you can look for a dog that has been trained with birds. They are expensive but there are folks raising LGDs that are started dogs and reliably working with livestock/birds. I hope you can find a good answer for your Pyr babies so they can have a good outcome and future.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

Such beautiful pups! I hope everyone's suggestions help, but if you end up needing to get rid of them, please please make sure you're selling them to someone trustworthy and responsible. I don't know how it is in Virginia, but here a lot of dog fighters are responding to ads for large breed dogs for sale so they can use them as bait dogs. (I don't know how serious the inquiries were, but it would be such a happy ending for one of your pups to end up with Skippy or Christi...they would give the pup a perfect Pyr forever home!)