Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Exclamation The Dreaded Digging...

Hello everyone!

My partner and I welcomed a sweet Pyrenees puppy into our lives roughly a month ago. She was raised outside on a farm with many other Great Pyrenees. It has taken sometime to transition her from farm life to suburban home life (ie. Crate training, being inside). we have had our challenges but for the most part have worked them out.

Our little 13 month old sweetheart is now a digging devil! If there is grass she won't dig but we have some patches of dirt and if left outside for longer then 10 to 15 minutes you can bet she is digging away. It is never at a fence line and mainly around the cement of our house. We live in Texas and haven't had any hot days as it was February when we first brought her home So I know it's not for relief from the heat.

I have tried blocking the spots but she's so smart...she enjoys the smell of citrus so orange peels didn't stop her. We live in a rental and I don't want her digging up and ruining the back yard. I would love to put down some patches grass over these areas but I don't want her to destroy those as well.

Now mind you we just had 3 or 4 days of snow and ice so it looks much worse because it's all wet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150301_142207.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	6855  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

If you figure out how to stop her, please let me know. My boys digs, grass or not. We have loads of holes. Just had well over a foot of snow on the ground and not only did he dig in the snow he dug the ground as well. This is a breed trait. They dig, they bark. Best advice I have seen is to buy a hard plastic kiddie pool fill it with sand and hide high value toys in the sand and let them dig to their hearts content.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Congratulations on your new girl! I'm afraid Christi is right. I never found any way to stop mine from digging and finally created a digging area. You're fortunate she doesn't dig in the grass yet. Mine make no distinction when the digging urge strikes. I'd definitely advise trying to create a digging spot for her since she seems to find this entertaining. I'm getting ready to create an even bigger digging area for mine since we will be getting a pup this Spring. I see lots of digging dogs in my future!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

It's quite amazing how my pyrs are very good about their assigned digging areas (3 sand hills or holes; depending when we replenish those "hills")... unless they are hunting for rodents or lizards. Until my 2 other non-pyr rescues - jeez they are b#%&* diggers....

In a small area, I would laid plastic fencing above my only beautifully cultivated green patch of grass - be careful about the sharp edgings.

In time the grass will grow over and we use a grass trimmer set a little higher off the ground - easy peasy...Our "natural grass trimmers" a pair of geese are not allowed here - goose poop snacks

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Both my pyr and my border collie dig. and dig. and dig. I have come to the conclusion that the fenced in portion of the back yard is theirs. As soon as I find the kiddie pools I will be getting 4, 2 for sand 2 for water. Should be interesting to say the least.

moontower`s Photos

Hi misstallulahsmom,

The digging is up there with my least-favourite pyr traits. We've found that our girl (now 3) would dig around the same time as yours, after 10min or so of being outside. If we're busy on 'adventures' all day(walks, trips to run errands, visiting friends, etc) then Kaya was way less likely to dig. A tired pyr is a better-behaved pyr. That being said, we both work very demanding jobs in the summer and sometimes Kaya isn't able to get all of her adventures in. That's when the digging started. I had 2 gorgeous cedar trees in my yard that are now dying because Kaya decided to dig up their root systems. In a last-ditch attempt to save the cedars, we took a couple of her "#2s" and buried them in the holes. We read somewhere that it would deter them, and given the level of disgust she displays when we scoop, we figured it was worth a try. It actually worked pretty well! She stopped digging in those spots, but found others to dig in. Our training got cut short when the snow came, but she's never had a problem digging up snow (unless there's a mouse in it). I'm hoping to continue when spring arrives. Good luck with your girl! I hope this helps

Young Dawg (Member)

I have accepted that my once beautiful backyard will now always look like landmines have gone off LOL

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

You would think that I would know better than this with the number of digging dogs I've had over the years but last week I potted some roses in the back yard. The dogs have been good about not touching my pots for quite a while and it is the perfect place for the roses. And while I am potting them I should amend the soil so they get a good start, right? Everyone knows that roses love bone meal and kelp meal, right? Not sure what state of delusion lead me to put bone meal in a potted plant near the dogs. Still paying for that stupidity. My well-nourished roses are in pots in the back yard, inside a puppy kennel!! Some people are so stupid!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

just a momentary lapse of memory...happens to all of us as we have more birthdays!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) 2BIGWHITEDOGS's Avatar

2BIGWHITEDOGS`s Photos

I decided when I fenced in an area for the dogs that they would do all the landscaping in that area. They have their own small stream running through the yard and lots of trees for shade, but they still dig craters to lie down in during the summer. I have large rocks all the way around the fence line in case they dig too close to the fence.