Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Whitney`s Photos

Unhappy New puppy is driving us nuts

I am new to the board. We are on day 5 of having Gracie home. We got her from a farm and I was told that she was 8 weeks going on 9. I just found an ad that listed her b-day and she actually just turned 7 weeks yesterday.

She is a lot of fun and is really good with the kids and cats, but the barking/whining is driving us insane. She cries over everything. She hates the crate and will scream and scream while she's in there. I tried just blocking off my laundry room to see if she would be happier and as soon as she found out she was locked in, here we go. Same thing when she can't go where she wants on the leash. Her fits seriously sounds like someone is killing her. We are not sleeping. She's waking the whole house up. I have slept on the couch since we got her so I can try to keep her quiet. I don't know what to do. The only time she is happy and quiet is when we are right there and she has free run. She has to learn to be kenneled at some point. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
    I am new to the board. We are on day 5 of having Gracie home. We got her from a farm and I was told that she was 8 weeks going on 9. I just found an ad that listed her b-day and she actually just turned 7 weeks yesterday.

She is a lot of fun and is really good with the kids and cats, but the barking/whining is driving us insane. She cries over everything. She hates the crate and will scream and scream while she's in there. I tried just blocking off my laundry room to see if she would be happier and as soon as she found out she was locked in, here we go. Same thing when she can't go where she wants on the leash. Her fits seriously sounds like someone is killing her. We are not sleeping. She's waking the whole house up. I have slept on the couch since we got her so I can try to keep her quiet. I don't know what to do. The only time she is happy and quiet is when we are right there and she has free run. She has to learn to be kenneled at some point. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Hi and welcome to the forums! It is very challenging right at first. Keep in mind she has been taken away from everything she knows and as much as she has you all she feels very lost and alone. A few questions, how long are you crating her for? Can she see you when she is in the crate? And is she the only dog? I failed at crate training so I am not the best to guide you, but I have read what others have said that were able to pull it off. So I will move on the the leash.

The best way to train a puppy on a leash, in my opinion. Get a long leash, let the dog wander where it wants while you follow them around. I did this in my fenced back yard, so there was no place off limits. Never tighten the leash or pull the dog. After a few days of just letting them get used to having a collar, and a leash then you can start guiding her gently to where you want her to go.

Keep in mind how you would feel if someone came to your home, chose you, put you in a car, drove you to god knows where, without your Mom or siblings. Wrapped a collar around your neck and then expected you to follow where you were expected to go. And they speak a different language that you can't understand. I know it sounds harsh, but that is basically what happens when we bring our puppies home.

Also remember it gets better, and she will calm down and grow up. Now all that being said, I failed at crate training because I couldn't stand to listen to the puppy whine and he slept in my bed with me.

Pjg8r`s Photos

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting a picture. So Gracie was 6 weeks old when you brought her home? Have you taken her to the vet? If the owner misled you on the age the puppies may also need worming and shots. We have had a few other members of this board who had puppies get very ill when they were first adopted.

How is she eating and drinking? She's just so very young to be away from mom. As Christi said, everything is brand new and scary. Your family may be sleep deprived but hopefully you all did your homework on what life is like with a puppy for awhile.

Is she cold when she's crated by herself? What type of crate are you using? Are there toys or things for her? How long is she in the crate? How have you used the crate (just at night or throughout the day)?

I wouldn't even be introducing a leash at this point. Do you live somewhere that she has to be leashed when you take her outside (suburban streets, no yard)? At her age she is not likely to run away if you have any size yard at all. Two adults can be on opposite sides just in case.

I wouldn't expect the night time screaming to get better very quickly. She is just a very young baby. Thank goodness for all puppies that they are adorable and eventually we forget how much trouble they are.

Puppy (New Member)

Whitney`s Photos

They wormed her while we were there and said she had her shots. He said the shots was a 5 or 6 in 1 from the farm store. Not sure if I have the name right. We have not been to the vet yet. Yesterday was the first day the roads were clear enough to get out safely. She eats and drinks with no problems. No diarrhea.

We have been practicing with the crate on and off during the day and night. I've put treats in there, I feed her in it and she has toys in there. I've tried all I can think of. I've also covered her up which seems to quiet her a little. Not quiet, but at least she's not howling when I do that. She just can't handle being confined at all or being away from us. She even throws a fit if I go to the bathroom and don't let her in. If it was just normal puppy barking it would not be so bad, but she goes hysterical. She's a puppy drama queen. lol! I just have to get her where she can be left alone and in a safe space. I know she is baby and this is not my first puppy rodeo. It's just my first to behave this way and it freaks me out a little. I'm just praying this is just a stage and it will get better because other than this, she is so awesome.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

It will get better, but from experience I would restart the shots on your puppy ASAP. My puppy was given 2 rounds of shots from tractor supply and almost died of Parvo, cost me close to 1,000 dollars just for the hospitalization, we won't even go into the meds at home special foods etc for weeks after. I know my puppies breeder and was and still am friends with him for a long time, and the shots that you buy and give yourself are just not as safe as what the vet gets. They can also tell you if there is something going on making her such a drama queen.

That being said, my boy is a drama queen too! He doesn't like to be out of line of sight with me, unless he is outside playing. If I don't allow him into the bathroom with me he lays at the door and makes utterly miserable noises until I let him in. When I leave he is never alone in the house and my Husband says he is a cry baby the whole time I am gone.

Road Dawg

kelleymarie1993`s Photos

Whitney,
    We had the same problem with our 13 week old (at the time) pyr , Quentin. He HATED the crate as soon as we left. He would howl for hours.

We tried many different things. Moving the crate so he could see us better at night, putting a blanket over it so he couldn't see us, putting our scent-drenched blanket in there, a clock next to him, leashing him to the bed, etc.

The only solution we could find was to move his crate to a high traffic area of the house and crate him during the day when we and other family members were home, walking around and by the crate, sitting in viewline of him, etc. We started out with smallish increments, and worked our way up. I believe it was the second night that he was almost completely silent.

We think he was associating the crate with loneliness and knowing the crate doesn't particularly mean we're leaving him has helped a bunch. We will acknowledge him in the crate when we're there only when he's quiet and it's been almost a complete 180.
    I noticed we stopped crating him so much throughout the day and he backslid a little and began barking more throughout the night. As soon as we began crating him with people around he improved.

Not sure if this will work for you but it helped us a ton!

Kelley

Puppy (New Member)

Whitney`s Photos

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to be as patient as I can. Surely it can't last forever. lol! We actually had a good night last night. She slept in her crate by the couch for part of the night and slept with me on the couch the rest of the night. I was so tired and had to get rest. I probably should not have done that, but I had to sleep. She is actually in her crate and sleeping peacefully at the moment. She was going crazy so I took a blanket and laid over it and she was asleep in less than 5 minutes.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

I was raising two pups my last round and both had crates in my room. It was a whole lot of fussing, whining and barking that would go on between the two of them. I found that covering a portion of their crate (we had wire crates) so it was dark, helped them go to sleep faster at night. They could still see me moving around (and yes, the crate had to be positioned so they could see the bathroom or they would lose it when I went in there!) but it was dark enough that it made them sleepy. Spending time in their crates when they were tired and I was just doing things in the room helped them adjust to the crates better. I hope your Gracie passes this phase soon. She is so cute!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

When I got Fin (also way too early, at 6 weeks), leash walking freaked him out too. What ended up working perfectly for us was switching to a body harness, just until he was a bit older. You can get sufficient ones at walmart for around $8 dollars. Downside is I now have a tiny harness, a small harness, a medium harness, and a large harness that don't fit him anymore just lying around but yes he responded much better to that and it actually helped set the foundations for walking in heel. He uses a normal flat collar and sometimes an easy-walk harness with no problems now. I think having something around their neck so early frightens them.

I failed at crate-training him until he was older, around 4-5 months. I used an X-large exercise pen in my bedroom for nighttime. Having water, pee pad, toys, free space, and a place to sleep kept him from howling/crying. Worked perfectly. I ended up buying a huge crate (largest size out there), putting it right where the crate had been, and for some reason it just kinda "clicked" for him at 4-5 months. He sleeps in there every night now (willingly, with the door open). I think he was too scared as a young pup of all the new things to successfully take to crate training, though a lot of people get their pups too. I kind of threw in the towel pretty early. He howled like he was being murdered all night long the first few nights so I decided to nix crate for the time being and try something new. Overall, very glad I did, though if you think there's a chance you can get crate training down now I say definitely go for it!

Fin is almost 7 months now and he still cries like a baby when I go into the bathroom or generally go where he can't follow. He is a drama king.

Hope things get better!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

You little girl is beautiful. I hope things work out well soon. I have never used a rate except when we adopted our golden retriever Honey and she was heart worm positive. we had her treated, but had to keep her crated (borrowed one) for several weeks. She has only 1 1/2 years old and had to watch our 3 year old litter mate goldens and our 7 year old golden being free. She didn't like the crate at all, but did finally adjust to it.

I have always leash trained my puppies very early. Very light color and leash to begin with and worked with them in fenced back yard. When they seemed to understand, then short walks outside. And back in the 50's and 60's, puppies were given out when they were 6 weeks old. Or at least that was the common thing. I actually got a sweet little English Setter at 4 weeks when her mom was killed and the guy didn't have time to properly take cre of them. She slept in a box by my bed--I was 15. Pixie grew up small for a English, but what a quail dog she was! And what a wonderful pal for me.
    Jerry and Moose