Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

kelleymarie1993`s Photos

Unhappy Sleep deprived and need advice

Sorry for the lengthy post but here are all the details.
    We just got a 13 week old Great Pyr 5 days ago, Quentin, who is NOT making crate training fun for anyone.

Currently, we have his crate next to the bed, partially covered by a blanket so he'll have his 'den' space, we put his blanket and a few toys in there, and a ticking clock right beside it. We'll tell him 'Bedtime' and he'll go into the crate on his own, no complaints. As soon as the door shuts, he'll start whining and the whining turns into barking. The first few nights, we weren't sure whether to ignore him or not so we'd tell him "No" when he'd bark. He'd eventually calm down but start back up when he needed to go out.

After research and from what people have told me, I've gathered that ignoring his barks could be the better route. Last night, we left the room, even slept on the couch (he will eventually be crated during the day instead of at night for 3 days a week when my boyfriend and I both work so we won't be there to tell him to stop barking) to ignore his barks, and all night long he barked and barked and barked.

Are we doing this wrong?? He's staying at my boyfriend's mom's for the next month before we move into our new apartment, where they won't be so tolerable of his howls...so we're desperate for a solution. I'm getting a kong for him later today to see if that helps, and we're gonna go on a long walk to tire him out before bed...but if ignoring him doesn't work I'm not sure what to try next since we won't be able to trust him out alone...he's a chewer.

Help please!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome kelleymarie & Quentin
    go back into the bedroom with him. let him know you are there...maybe you & your boyfriend can "trade" nights listening to the howls & barks. this can take awhile, but eventually he will settle down.
    You can give him the kong (make it a very small one) but that should be the only time he gets that "special" treat!! Fill it with layers of peanut butter & his kibble, enough to quiet him down for awhile.
    It's hard to totally ignore him all night, as he probably will have to relieve himself & those barks & cries can be a plea to go outside.
    You're idea on a walk...actually should be a play session with you & your boyfriend, run around the room with him, chase him, play with him, those are better ways to tire him out, a long walk on hard pavement is not in his best interest right now, he's too young to walk for long periods at a time on a hard surface, so playtime with you ( a good half an hour) should help settle him down, and you can throw in some fun stuff like sit & paw with lots of "happy voice" & treats! Don't forget a puppy needs to go outside after waking, playing, eating and almost every couple of hours...lots of work, but it will pay off in the end
    Patience, humor, calmness, love & patience...and he will become the "Great" boy he was meant to be!
    Let us know how he (and you) come along!
    Nancy, Holly & Rudy

Road Dawg

kelleymarie1993`s Photos

Thank you for the advice Nancy!! Despite all the reading I've done I feel really ill-equipped.
    Should we ignore him when in the room?

I'll get the kong and do indoor playing instead of a walk (my boyfriends mom has a huge grassy area we were going to take him out in)...he just loves to be outside so we thought it would do the trick.

My problem is that we want to get him to a point where he can lay by/on our bed (or wherever he chooses, he goes for hard wood normally) uncrated at night and then be crated during the day on MWF when we both work. But during that time, we won't be there to comfort him. We're also not sure if crating him at night now will confuse him when we transition to daytime...we can't have him barking a ton when we're not home once we're in an apartment complex.

We take him out every hour, if not more often (depending on when he wakes up and eats) but at night he holds it and then lets us know at about 5 or 6 that it's time to get out. It's hard to distinguish potty whining/barking versus lonely/i want out barking.

Just confused about everything!

Thank you,
    Kelley & Quentin

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Kelley
    I've been thinking about your post, and have some things to add.

As far as being outside, a good game of chase with you or some other activity out in the fresh air would be great to help tire him out...you just don't want to walk for long distances on a hard surface with him just yet, for his bones & muscles as well as waiting until he's had all of his puppy shots.

Dogs differ from each other as to what age they can be trusted not to be confined. Our Holly was never in a crate, she was too scared & anxious to do anything!! Rudy took to the crate very well as that was the only place he would get a nice chew, away from the other dogs, so he didn't have to guard it!

When you say he will be crated MWF...does that mean all day?!! You might want to look into a pet walker/sitter for those days. It is unreasonable to think he can hold his "business" and not get totally bored & anxious in a crate all day....and when he's bored he will voice his disapproval.

Think of Quentin as a baby, he can't communicate with you, you have to calmly & positively, with patience & humor guide him towards the good boy that he will one day become....and it won't happen over night. These things take time & patience.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

I know how hard crate training can be. Raj was a big cry baby as a puppy. Are you guys home during the day now (or one of you)? If so, try crating during the day for short periods of time (with treats, etc. in the crate). That way he doesn't associate the crate with "no fun...never going to come out of here" space. Try feeding all of his meals in the crate as well. Does the blanket he has in there smell like you or your BF? If not, try that.

Also, how often is he going out to potty at night? I was up every 2-3 hours to take him out to potty and some of the crying may be discomfort if you aren't up often enough to take him out. After taking Raj out with praises (not too excited so as not to think its "play time") he went back to bed.

For all the good advice/suggestions, the hard truth is you have to wait this out mostly. I know how heartbreaking the crying is (and how sleep deprived you can get) but this is one of the tough reasons not to get a puppy. I do not recommend sleeping on the floor next to the crate...I did that to stop the crying and just had to retrain Raj after a few weeks once my back started to give out

When I did retrain Raj his crate was next to the bed but jammed up in a corner with the door open so that the crate, my bed and the nightstand/wall created a tiny triangle with some open space for Raj to roam in (like a 3 feet by 4 feet piece of the room, with of course his large crate to roam around in too). That helped considerably because Raj could put his paws up on the bed when he needed reassurance that I was up there...I slept with my hand hanging over the side of the bed so he could reach me. At first he thought it was play time but with some firm "No's" as well as a reassuring pat on the head he got the hang of it. I ONLY recommend this if you are a light sleeper (or set your timer...which I recommend anyway every few hours so Quentin has a potty break) or you might have an accident on the floor.

Also, I didn't leave Raj in his crate during the day (he went to daycare) because I was going to be gone all day. Puppies can't really hold it all day so a walker once, at least, is necessary. Good luck...it does get better.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

Also wanted to add that with chewing try a wet rag soaked in water then frozen. He's likely teething and in pain so the cold will help. Raj chewed through my baseboards in one room (and a heck of a lot of shoes). Its just part of puppyhood for most...for better or worse. The frozen rag helped us (though it will leave a puddle as puppy chews on it so plan accordingly) as did a few ice cubes in his water.

Road Dawg

kelleymarie1993`s Photos

Nancy,
    It's about 6 hours each MWF. We will be home throughout the rest of the week, at least one of us. Once we've moved into our new apartment (and don't have to worry about him chewing on other people's belongings besides our own) we're hoping to leave him out at night as there won't be a whole house to get into, rather just a room. BUT leaving him out at night doesn't solve the crate training issue because we'd like to switch to crating him when we're at work. We would like him to get used to being in a crate so going to the vet or whatever the case may be in the future is not an issue.

We've discussed finding a pet sitter for those days in the start but we really do want to get him accustomed to the crate. He holds his business really well (aside from barking in the crate he's been a complete breeze!!), we'll get up once in the middle of the night to take him out and he hasn't had an accident since his first night in the crate. We crate him anywhere from 10pm-12am and then one of us is getting ready for work between 5 and 6 am.

He's a big baby : ) And I'm also trying to keep in mind he's only been with us for a week today...the night before last and last night seemed to be a lot better..so we're trying to stick with it.

Kelley

Road Dawg

kelleymarie1993`s Photos

Chi_gal,
    He's a total cry baby...and it's adorable, aside from the barking. We're currently training him to "leave it" when he goes for a shoe or furniture, and he'll almost always leave it alone immediately, but in exchange he'll pout. We'll give him one of his toys and he'll get over it, but it's pretty cute: )
    We get up once throughout the night and then again early in the morning. Which is about every 3 or 4 hours, usually.
    He has one of our blankets in there now and we started putting him in his crate for a few minutes at a time and give him treats, and maybe that's helping, since the past two nights have seemed a little quieter.

We're doing okay with the waiting it out aside from being tired (we're taking shifts when necessary) but we just want to make sure we're not crate-training wrong. We've both had dogs before (there's four others in the house right now) but Quentin, of course, is not your average puppy.

When we get into our apartment we will have to give that a try with the crate next to the bed, and we'll see if feeding in the crate is an option (the dogs all eat out of the same food and for now we can't really do much about it...if we put out different food for him he'll still get into the other food, and the other dogs we'll get into his...and I'd really like to give him a large breed puppy blend). I'll try giving him a frozen rag, too.

Thank you!
    Kelley

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

I would start feeding him in his crate right away, just so you can feed him a large breed puppy food. Nutrition for these guys is totally different and it is exceedingly important to have them on the right food as a puppy so as not to have horrible bone and joint issues as an adult.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

Crate training was a failure with my Pyr until he was around 4-5 months old. The first week or so I tried to put him him a crate at night (I started doing meals in the crate and throwing treats in there etc. from the moment we got him), but he hated it. He'd howl/cry for 20 min, whine softly for 20, howl/cry for 20...on and on. He wouldn't even go into the crate willingly for treats near the end of the week. In the end, I purchased a large indoor/outdoor exercise pen ("Midwest Gold- Zinc Indoor/Outdoor Exercise Pet Pen, 24"W x 42"H" on Amazon for reference), set it up in my bedroom, and he slept in there quietly with no problems. I put his crate in the back, hoping he'd choose to sleep in it...but no luck. He avoided it completely still. I put a water bowl, a wee-wee pad (until he was potty-trained), and a blanket in there. I don't know if that's something that would work for you, but it worked really well for us-- kept puppy safe at night/while we were away, but didn't distress him.

As far as crate training, I had no luck until I bought a "big boy crate" ("Grreat Choice® Dog Crate" on Petsmart, it was the largest wire crate I could find, and my dog hates the plastic kind). I placed it right where the pen had been (beside my bed), put his bed in it, and from that night on he's slept like a baby in it and doesn't mind going in there while I'm at work. I don't know if being older has something to do with it, or if he just wanted more space than the other crates allowed, but it's been great. I prefer leaving him in the crate when I'm gone versus a pen or in a gated room, because I worried too much that he'd pull a Great Pyr Escape

Now that he's 6 months, he's able to sleep freely in my (puppy proofed) bedroom, but chooses to sleep in his open kennel anyway. So maybe it's just a matter of waiting until they are ready or comfortable with the idea? If you could try some other options (before the pen arrived, we even zip-tied baby gates together and created one to use temporarily), it might help to get your pup used to the idea. Others swear on the meals-in-crate method and it works really well for some pups, so if other options aren't feasible, perhaps keep trying that?

(Also so surprised to hear your pup is barking already! My pup didn't bark once until 5 months :O It was really exciting the first time he did, though not so exciting now... :P)

I hope everything works out for you.