Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61
  1. #21
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,427
      Tsunibear`s Photos

    Default

    So he is going to go to the vet again tomorrow. He vomited again and I am worried about it. He is also wheezing. I need the vet to be 100% honest with me and the JFO tomorrow because, I am starting to think this might be the end soon.

  2. #22
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Jewel's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,002
      Jewel`s Photos

    Default

    Whatever the outcome, I think you and JFO have done everything humanly possible to allow Monty to have an excellent quality of life. Awful as you and JFO feel, the two of you are to be commended. If every dog should be so lucky.

  3. #23
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,551
      Antonia`s Photos

    Default

    I agree with Jewel completely. You will be in our thoughts and we'll be praying for you to have strength to face whatever you need to with your boy.

  4. #24
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    Oh, Tsunibear, I have tears in my eyes reading this. I am so very sorry that Monty is so sick and in so much pain. Jewel is absolutely right, though. Monty is so very loved, and you and the JFO have taken every measure possible to ensure that he is as safe, healthy, and comfortable as he can possibly be.

    I am holding out hope that you all can catch a break, and that he will be feeling better soon. We send so much love, a ton of hugs, and as much good energy as we have to you tonight.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

  5. #25
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bristol,Tn
    Posts
    1,625
      Christi`s Photos

    Default

    I am so sorry that Monty is this sick. I agree with what everyone else has said. Monty has a wonderful loving home, and you have done everything you could for him. Whatever happens today at the vet, he knows that he is loved and cherished. Praying for him to get better and stick around a while longer.

  6. #26
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bristol,Tn
    Posts
    1,625
      Christi`s Photos

    Default

    Haven't heard from Tsuni since she posted here yesterday, I am very worried for her and Monty

  7. #27
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Chi_gal's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    821

    Default

    You guys are in my thoughts and prayers Tsuni

  8. #28
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rachel's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    139

    Default

    I lost my Bullmastiff to Mast Cell Cancer back in September. It is a terrible, terrible thing that we fought against for the majority of his life. It seemed we had to have tumors removed at least once every year-- finally said we couldn't do it anymore and put him through more surgery after a really nasty one on his hind leg. His eventually spread to his chest cavity-- very close to his heart and inoperable, especially considering he was 10 at the time.

    My heart goes out to you and yours and I can't imagine the stress on your family (Missy included) and of course Monty. There's of course no right answer with the amputation and there's so many risks for both options. I know for us the biggest thing to take into consideration was the quality of life. If Monty's inflamed/swollen leg is causing him a lot of pain, and you think it might help him to be more comfortable, perhaps amputating might be a good option. Especially if there's a chance it could burst on its own-- that would be extremely painful. Making any decision is difficult because-- in addition to worrying about making a choice that might hurt your baby-- you know you have to live with the guilt if what you end up choosing goes poorly.

    As far as the nub swelling up-- did the vet offer anyway to help prevent that from happening? Maybe encasing it in something (foam maybe?) to absorb the pressure placed on it when sleeping/applying ice every night/etc? What does your vet think?

    As far as people thinking you're wasting your time...never. I understand that desperation and that need to do the right thing, to keep them from suffering anymore than needed. It's so difficult. In the end of Harvey's life, I had so, so many regrets. After the fact, there are so many things I wish I'd done differently. So many decisions I'd made that I regretted. I was very depressed for a long time because of it and I agonized over his last few days. So I think my main advice is to think on this for as long as you can (within reason of course) and then try to come to a decision you know you can live with...but understand that no matter what ends up happening, it is not your fault. We all want what is the very best for our babies. Sometimes the best is out of our reach. And sometimes it's not.

    I will say that finding out whether or not Monty would have to stay for a long period after the amputation is worth considering. In our attempts to help Harvey and extend his life, he ended up passing at the vet-- 2 hours before they said I could pick him up and take him home. I have never in my life regretted anything more. In some cases I think having them home and comfortable is the best thing you can do (that was our case definitely), but if Monty could leave soon after the surgery/is in good health to handle it/the vet feels confident about it, it might be the better option. Especially if there's a chance of it bursting randomly as you said, particularly when no one else is home. But more than anything, it's a decision you and your family--and only you guys--need to feel comfortable with. Nothing anybody else thinks-- save your vet to a certain extent--matters. Monty is your baby and you are the best person in the world to make this decision, because you know him best and love him best.

    In Harvey's final days he refused all food and all water-- I'm glad to hear Monty was eating a bit and drinking, which is always a good sign! I hope his face heals well. We had a tiny bit of luck with watermelon-- if Monty likes it, it might be a nice hydrating treat. EDIT: Just saw your update to this thread about Monty vomiting again-- I hope he's doing better. Sending all my good wishes your way.
    Last edited by Rachel; 02-03-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: caught up on thread

  9. #29
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,551
      Antonia`s Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christi View Post
    Haven't heard from Tsuni since she posted here yesterday, I am very worried for her and Monty
    Me too. Been thinking about them all day...

  10. #30
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bristol,Tn
    Posts
    1,625
      Christi`s Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    Me too. Been thinking about them all day...
    So have I. I even went and looked at her albums today. I really hope all is well with them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •