Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Tsunibear`s Photos

Default Tell me it gets better...

Okay so I know Monty isn't a Pyr but, you guys know about him and such and I need someone to talk to about everything that is going on with him. I mean seriously he can't catch a break health wise right now.

So here is a quick catch up for those who don't know Monty. Monty is now 7 years old and has been living with Mast Cell Cancer for 5 years. When he was first diagnosed we tried to remove it all but, unfortunately due to it's location we couldn't get good enough margin so it spread.

Now for the new stuff. In November Monty under went some surgery to try to help reduce the swelling in his leg. The vet removed 4 masses but, that still left a lot more. His leg swelled back up 2 months later. Surgery on that leg is no longer an option. We are currently giving him anti-inflammatory shots and antihistamine shots. He gets them about every 2 weeks. He got them on Thursday actually and while we were there we started talking about amputation. It's kinda an option not to remove the cancer cause we can't it's in his chest cavity now but, more for making him feel better with the swelling. Meaning his leg is so swollen that it could burst randomly and if it does amputation is the only option. The vet, myself and JFO (Jerk Face Owner aka male owner) aren't sure if we should amputate because, yes it would relieve some of the pressure and make him slightly more comfortable but, at the same time it could shorten his life span and ruin the quality of life he as. Meaning if his nub starts to swell we have no options besides putting him down. With a leg only the leg is swelling because, he is walking and running and what not which applies pressure to it and causes the swelling. With no leg the goal is, there is nothing to cause the pressure, expect for when he sleeps which would put some pressure on the nub. So that's dilemma one for us and the biggest one.

Then there is today. Today Monty got sick and started vomiting now if he was a person he would have OCD. So his vomiting happened while I was at work and he has run of upstairs with Missy. Now after he vomited he wanted out of the area. So he then started to try to push the door open and dig his way out on his own. Which means he cut up the swollen leg and the not swollen leg and cut both sides of his face. Finally Missy understood what he wanted and got up and broke the door down for him. I came home to them downstairs looking at me. Monty was bleeding and still vomiting. I called the vet who at first said "Don't worry about it usually we can't stitch up cuts on the face like that." I watched him for an hour he puked three more times and his face didn't stop bleeding so he got rushed to the vet. The vet did a local anesthetic and put staples on his face. Which is good because, Monty's body rejects stitches. So now one side of his face has 3 staples and the other side has at least 6 staples. The vet gave him an antibiotic shot, an anti-nausea shot and antibiotics to come home with and anti-nausea meds to come home with. Monty was feeling so sick that he had to be lifted into the truck and then carried into the house after it all. Now because, it was done real quick and then he was sent home with me his face swelled which I was told was normal and it was still bleeding again I was told that was normal too. The reason why they keep them so long after surgery is because, they bleed and swell really bad. So bad that Monty was licking the blood up and since the anti-nausea meds hadn't kicked in yet he was vomiting blood. It's now been three hours since it was all done and he finally stopped vomiting and the bleeding is minimal. You wouldn't know it if you saw him because, right now he is covered in blood, bruised, swollen and not looking good.

I have been crying off and on for hours now cause of all of the stress and the JFO has been crying and pacing. Monty doesn't want eat anything which is breaking my heart and he won't give the JFO a kiss which is making the JFO cry even more and sick to his stomach. I am trying to comfort the JFO and it's not easy because, I am the verge breaking down. I guess what I need the most right now is words of encouragement that he will be feeling better tomorrow and wanting to eat....and some input on the amputation thing. I know he is going to die...I don't need to hear that I am wasting my time if I wanted to hear that I would talk to my Uncle. I just need some encouragement. Included are some pictures of Monty...one is of him wearing his Accident Prone tag....one of him after his surgery in November and one of him and Missy after his November surgery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141127_170705.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	6689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141118_162516.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	6688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141219_084334.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	6687

Old Dawg (Senior Member) WildGrits's Avatar

WildGrits`s Photos

I cannot imagine how heartbreaking this has been for your family. There is nothing worse than the feeling of helplessness that comes from watching a family member suffer from cancer. Lost my dad to it two years ago.

I wish I had words of encouragement but I do not. Only that You will be in my prayers tonight.
    Melissa AKA Wild Girl Raised in the South

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

You know these guys can seem horrible one day and bounce back and are there usual happy selves the next. It has been a long hard road for you with Monty and I can only imagine how difficult this has been. It is very hard when you know its just a matter of time, and are trying to enjoy whatever time you have left, and then you have a day like this. Tell the JFO to take a long walk and calm himself down, you calm yourself down, and see if that helps monty to settle down. Its all about attitude, and seeing you guys this stressed is most likely adding to his stress. Now it is time to be strong for him.

I can't tell you its gonna be all right, because it may not be, but whatever happens you know you have the love and support of us all. We all want the best for You and Monty and Missy and even the JFO.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

How is Monty today??
    How are you & JFO doing???
    Hope you all got some rest after yesterday.
    Tsunibear, you have given Monty so much, and I know he's given so much back to you.

I am thinking along the same lines as Christi....he may not be all right & things may not improve for him, all you can do is be there for him, comfort & love him the way that you always do, and be glad that this wonderful boy is in your life.

As far as amputating...we had to make that decision with Nick when he was diagnosed with his cancer....our decision was negative. For several reasons, one being that he would have had to spend time in the vet's office for awhile, away from us & his home, and that is just not the way we wanted any of his last days to be, as well as we weren't really giving him more time to live a quality life.
    Your decision is always your own, & we know that you understand that....it's just never an easy decision
    Just know that we will be here to listen & support you
    Hugs to you
    Pets to Monty & Missy

Tsunibear`s Photos

Thanks guys.

Monty's face finally quit bleeding and the swelling is slowly going down. He doesn't want to do anything but, lay around which is fine with me. I get he isn't feeling well and when I don't feel well I don't want to do anything but, he still hasn't ate or any interest in it. I am really worried about him not eating. I get that his mouth hurts cause both sides of it have staples and are swollen but, all he is doing is drinking and I need him to put something in his stomach. We have been forcing him to take his meds which again is heartbreaking and there is peanut butter involved but, not enough to consider it food. I have to try to wipe some of the old blood off of his face soon and I know he is going to hate me for that but, I have to do it. Both the JFO and I managed to get some sleep finally last night. The JFO is still upset because all Monty wants to do is lay near him but, not really interact with him. What the JFO is forgetting is that when he is sick he wants to be left alone too and Monty is like him in that sense.

Nancy the vet didn't mention him not coming home after they amputated. If he keeps him overnight that will be a definite no for us because, Monty can't handle the kennel without Missy and Missy won't relax until she knows he is okay. Plus the JFO won't let Monty stay somewhere without him.

Pjg8r`s Photos

It's so hard to see them suffer. When my son had his jaws wired shut after surgery we had to cram a lot of calories into a milkshake. Could you purée some ground beef and broth and see if he could lap it or take it out of a syringe? Many thoughts of strength for all of you

Tsunibear`s Photos

So I did a quick clean up...I can't really get the dried blood off his face in one step but, I did get the dried blood off of his chin, chest and other leg so he doesn't look as bad. He ate three tiny pieces of chicken and took his meds with peanut butter. He is drinking water but, won't touch the pedialyte or rice and chicken. He showed some interest in the string cheese so I was going to give it to him but, he put it in his mouth then spit it back out. I cleaned and wrapped his leg because, it was bleeding from the scratches he made from yesterday. I personally haven't eaten anything today because, all I keep doing is watching him. Even though all he is doing is sleeping I can't help but, sit and watch him and I don't really do the whole praying thing but, I started praying today that he would at least eat a little cause I would feel better if he ate.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

It might be best if he didn't eat for at least 24 hours to let his tummy settle from the violence of his vomiting.
    As long as you can get him to drink some fluids & take his meds, I think rest and quiet is the best for all of you.
    Sending warm, healing hugs to all of you

Tsunibear`s Photos

Nancy you could be right. I called the vet and am waiting for him to call me back. I just need to hear that it's okay that he doesn't want to eat right now and that it won't kill him. I know the sleeping is good for him and so I am letting him do just that...he wants to sleep then he can sleep. I just want him better. I know his time will come but, I'm not ready for it just yet.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Tsuni, I am so sorry that things are so painful for Monty and all of you right now. These are things there aren't a lot of words for... I don't know how Monty is with these things but my dogs are obsessed with maintaining the same routine. It might help Monty to feel more comfortable if you can eat and act as normal as possible (I know what it is like to try to do this when your heart is breaking...) so that he can just relax as much as he can. When my boy was dying of cancer he would get really upset if we didn't keep to his routine even though he couldn't do all the things anymore. He would also get agitated if I was feeling really sad and I made a big effort to create as much normalcy for him as I could so he would feel secure. I felt it was all I had left that I could offer him and my only way left to show him how much I loved him. I spent a lot of time just sitting with him and resting my hand on him. I would try hard not to cry because it would upset him so I would talk to him about other things and try to just concentrate on how grateful I was to just be with him and talk in the happy voice he liked. I'm crying writing this. Crying for you and for me. It gets easier in some ways and in some ways, the pain is always there because of the great love and we wouldn't change that. It's part of love...You are all in my prayers.