Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Ongoing couch saga -- update

So, I thought some of you might appreciate an update on Jeb's couch saga. When last I wrote, we wanted to keep Jeb off the couches, which he had taken upon himself to jump up on without being invited. Then, he had started to nip at me when I scooted him off. I even considered an elevated type bed, for which you gave me good suggestions ( I may still do that.)Thanks to being tipped off that he might be resource guarding, I did some research and began luring him off the couch immediately with a treat, which worked very well,and gave no opportunity to nip.

However, I noticed Jeb has been spending less and less time indoors. He has always preferred outside (he does sleep out there) but I didn't want him to be too isolated from us (plus, I wanted more time to pet him!) so in reflecting on some of your anecdotes, I thought, heck, put some old sheets on the couch and let him up on them!

Well, the results weren't quite what I thought. For the first time, I "invited" him up, and he looked like the cat who swallowed the canary. Then, I sat next to him and petted him. Then, I went in the kitchen to work on the computer. Within about two seconds, he came bounding off the couch to see what was going on in the kitchen, and then decided to go outside! Since then, I have let him in and had covers on the couch, but the most he will sit there is a few minutes and he is off looking for something else to do or, most frequently, to go outside! I have to laugh! I don't know what to think!
    But for now, we seem to have reached a mutually satisfying outcome. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought he would only last a few minutes on the couch. I have even sat next to him to pet him, and that only lasts a minute or two (of course, I don't think he liked the detangling spray I put on his fur to make him smell a bit better while he was on the couch!) My daughter says he looks lost, like his whole rebellion schtick has been ruined! ;-)

So, we will have to see how this evolves!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Clever you....you are beginning to learn "Pyr".....they usually only want what they can't have, reverse psychology really works!!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by dianna_stl View Post
    Thanks to being tipped off that he might be resource guarding, I did some research
    Hhhhmmmm, I wonder if Jeb thought that it was YOU who had the resource guarding problem... And since after some research, you've now learned to "share" by inviting him up the couch, he thinks he's job is done!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

hahaha Jewel, good call I think!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Jewel that made me laugh. They sure do have some goofy personalities.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Jewel....you made me laugh!
    Nick's Spirit...yes, I was thinking maybe somebody was doing some reverse psychology on somebody -- I just don't know if it is me to Jeb or Jeb to me!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

No matter who is doing the mind game....as long as you have fun together!
    and you seem to have a very good sense of humor with Jeb on this one!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Thanks, nick's spirit. I do find it pretty funny all the way around. It does make me a bit sad, though, because he just won't spend much time indoors, and ironically, I thought maybe letting him on the couch would help. But, it didn't! Go figure!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Christi's Avatar

Christi`s Photos

Wait till it gets hot again, he will be willing to come lay on the ac vent, and good luck fixing that haha

Old thread but I wanted to jump in. Our pyr/gsd is about 4 months old and acts like the couch is her God-given right. It's all I can do not to laugh when she barks and complains as she is ordered down. We do NILF. She's done puppy obedience class. She earns her food with obedience to some command. Sometimes we hand feed her. And along the same line of thinking, she isn't allowed on the couch or the bed. It's hard because we love cuddling her and being close to her but we don't let her share those privileges for pack-leadership reasons. But she relentlessly jumps on the couch/bed like she hasn't been ordered down every single attempt every day of her short life! I feel bad when I'm doing it for the 10th time in 3 minutes. I give her the command for down. She pretends not to hear me. I stare at her maintaining the hand signal for down. She glances at me out of the corner of her eye, shuffles uncomfortably, and then finally barks and snarls as she gets down and scampers away. Then she nips at me for the next 10 minutes if I go near her. Here's my question: DO PYRS JUST LOVE THE COUCH? Or is it a psychological power struggle? I see there's some of that going on but I just wondered if couch/bed love was strong with the breed. She has a bed and our house is carpeted. An in-home trainer told us it was fine to let her up if she was invited, which my children do with their beds but I didn't want to try to unteach a bad habit to a 90 lb dog later so I never let her on mine. Takes some major tough love because she acts like I'm taking her one joy in life. She's so darn funny. For now.