Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default 6 week old female is growling when picked up

Hi we just got our princess and we are enjoying every min with her!
    For the past week she has been growling when we try to hold her or move her from one place to
    Another.Otherwise she is a gem! Is this because she's so young and did not have enough time with her mom to teach her? Should we discipline this behavior? Is she testing us?
    She started walking on the leash on day 2 and has already learned our property
    Lines and just lays at the top of our stairs. She is a brilliant dog

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome dunch & Pyr Princess....
    6 weeks old & you've already had her a week!?! Does that mean she was 5 weeks when you got her??? Were there any circumstances that she had to be removed from her litter so early?
    Are you sure she's "growling" not grumbling? One so little I don't think I would be able to tell.
    Disciplining her now, I would think, would be counter productive. She's just been removed from the only comfort she's known, into a strange place, surrounded by strange people, asking/telling her to do heavens knows what 'cause she really doesn't understand what the heck is going on! Testing you, no, more like trying to figure out what has happened in her short life so far.
    I would say to try & build up trust, she needs to know you mean her no harm & are there to care & protect her as she grows.
    Also, I would look into any possible health reasons for her grumbling/growling....she may have something bothering her that by picking her up she is trying to tell you she hurts & is uncomfortable.
    Oh, and the leash walking thing....wait til she gets comfortable in her surroundings & confident in herself...then the fun begins!
    Look forward to hearing more about you, your family & Pyr princess.
    Nancy, Holly & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Good morning!
    Please please know this pup is so loved and spoiled rotten already
    Yes we went to look at the pups and found out they were 5 weeks old and
    Were told they were already eating solid food.Mom and Dad are working dogs protecting
    The farm and the pups were healthy and got we got a clean bill of health for her at our vet.
    She was 7 lbs on the 18th and just weighed in at a bit over 10.5 lbs a couple days ago.
    The only reason we put a leash on her so soon is because we were at a friends house and it's not
    Fenced and she was chasing squirrels but she did so good that we kept it up.
    We have a Golden too that is a female and she picks right up what she should/should not do.
    I wanted to mention too that she never cried after leaving her litter and we take her everywhere with us
    To socialize her and she is so much fun!
    I'm going to disagree with the question if anything could be hurting her.
    She just got her second set of shots and had an exam at that time so I'll
    Agree with the grumbling or that she's just very stubborn lol
    Thank you for your reply...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	5978  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

She is a cutie!!
    Good that you have another mature dog around to help her with learning the rules of the house.
    Our friends once had a Rotweiller that liked to "talk"....and if you've ever heard a Rottie "talk" it sure sounds alot like
    growling! They took her to a trainer & when the trainer heard Ursa "talk" he just about came unglued....."we'll fix that" he said...
    our friends turned around with Ursa & said "no thanks, we like the way she talks"....and she was the best behaved most loving girl til her end, and she talked to the end too!

mips`s Photos

Our Dachshund Beau is a talker too, when she was a pup she would talk literally ALL the time, it drove us nuts, she did 'calm' down in the talking, never 100% stopped, but she has a sound for every feeling, and eventually it's nice to know which sound belongs to which feeling cause then you can 'read' her very easily. It sometimes is also a warning before a reaction she's going to give, so it's nice to know which is which.

I doubt a puppy that young would be testing you, or even growling. Chico didn't learn growling until he met Beau. Now he's 'testing' his growls at her, and she isn't pleased with it. But like with children, they need to know which action causes which reaction. It's all harmless, it's just trying out stuff.

Chico can be vocal while playing but isn't a barker.