Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Default 2014 DFW(TX) Annual Pyr Picnic - Sat. Oct. 25

Hi pyr folks in the North Texas / DFW area, it's the time of the year for the annual pyr picnic!! This is a joint event co-sponsored by our local pyr rescue organization SPIN (Save a Pyr In Need) and the Dallas/Fort Worth Great Pyrenees Club. It will be on Saturday, October 25, 2014, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Randol Mill Park in Arlington. I will update with additional details as I get them. Please mark your calendars!

Please come and meet other local pyr owners and share knowledge and stories! AND, if you, or someone you know, are interested in adopting a pyr, SPIN foster families will have adoptable pyrs there for you to meet.

Here is my thread that I did for the 2012 picnic with pics so that you get an idea of what it'll be like hanging out with a couple of dozens of these big white bears

http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...nic-Sat-Nov-10

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I live too far away man. Texas does a lot of dog friendly things and I am just too far away.

Jewel`s Photos

Bear with me, gonna be bumping & poking this thread for the next couple of weeks

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

We will be there. If I have to put Chester in a Polar Bear suit, we will be there. Sebastian is looking forward to meeting some boys and girls who are roughly his size!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

SM, forget the polar bear suit and consider a thundershirt for Chester. Might make you trip more enjoyable. I think you better put blinders on or you might end up bringing a sister home for Sebastian and Chester! I am very much wishing we were closer and could go. Maybe my girl is sitting there!

Jewel`s Photos

LOL, I think Chester will serve as SM's "protective shield" at the picnic -- "protecting" her from any impulses she may have to take home a pyr sister for the boys... I mean, she's got two arms with a leash in each, no extra arm for a 3rd leash... At least that's what I tell myself to keep my household at a 2 dog maximum...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Fortunately, I still have a VERY compact sport sedan, thanks to the car salesman who decided to treat me like a girl when I tried to trade it in for a station wagon. I now lovingly refer to my car as the "Canine Clown Car", because that's exactly what it looks like when these two get out of it. As tempting as a Pyr sister is, there is NO room in my car for one unless one learns how to drive, and they stash me in the trunk. I shouldn't give Sebastian any ideas...

Chester seems to do well with everyone but huskies, but even that is getting better. As long as nobody minds that he is DEFINITELY NOT a Pyr, he will have a great time (and an opportunity to work on his rapidly improving manners)!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Jewel I use that same system for reasons why I can't add another dog to the family. Mind you I never walk both dogs at the same time because, someone always wants one of them but, it's still my reason why I can't have another.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

There are devious way s to get around this reasoning. If you get a two dog attachment per leash, you could potentially walk 4 dogs... Not that I'm suggesting this, although I have to be honest that I have done it. I am very aware that if the pups decide to go a different direction, I am forced to go with them! Even with just Ty and Pip on leashes I've got almost 165 lbs of puppy!!! SM, I think you should take Sebastian and Chester with you next time you go to get a car. I'm sure Sebastian could reason with the salesman that you need a bigger car. And, don't underestimate the great Sebastian. A couple of my babies have been very capable of driving the golf cart and leaving mom behind. Sebastian has the same look in his eye!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
    If you get a two dog attachment per leash, you could potentially walk 4 dogs...
    I have two really nice couplers that I don't use... for a good reason...

Well, I suppose that SM could take home from the picnic a petite female pyr about Bijou's size and put her in a coupler with Chester -- then it'd be like having a BIG male pyr on one arm/leash, with Sebastian on the other arm/leash ...

BUT, that wouldn't solve the problem of the car... When we got Bro, I had a Volvo sedan. My first pyr fit perfectly in the back seat by herself. It was fine for that short period of time when Bro was really small. Then as Bro got bigger, my first pyr became more and more reluctant to get in the car with Bro - she did not like having to squish with Bro in the back seat. We had to switch to the SUV by the time Bro was a year old.