Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) PeteVanDyke's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

PeteVanDyke`s Photos

Default "Furminator" Anyone using?

Before I spend $50 on a dog brush (sheesh) I thought I'd ask you experts about the Furminator. Are you using the short hair or the long hair version? (the long hair version says "for hair longer than 2"--Luna still has pup fur, but I'm guessing she'll have longer hair when she fills out). How's it working?

P/L

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I don't use a Furminator on my dogs at all, I found it does more damage than a slicker or a rake....
    We'll need Tsunibears input on this one!

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Chicag0_Red's Avatar

Chicag0_Red`s Photos

because of the way the furminator works it is really not recommended for the Pyr coat. Tsuni will be on later and as our resident goddess of grooming I am sure she will go into greater detail. Meanwhile do a forum search for Furminator as I am sure it has popped up before.
    _Red

--Tutores Cavere --

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Davey Benson's Avatar

Davey Benson`s Photos

I have one, and I will not use it on my pyrs. They are best for short coat dogs.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Just say no to the Furminator. It can be an amazing tool for a short coated dog. I don't like using it on double coated dogs because, it is a blade and it does cut the hair as it removes it which can damage the coat. I have seen a groomer actually cut a dog with it and I have seen it damage coats before. I have them in my shop and I use them on Labs but, I will not use one on a double coated dog. The JFO went to use it on Missy once and I nearly killed him. He doesn't even bother bringing it out anymore when she is on the table.

Instead of the furminator I recommend getting a double layered undercoat rake. It's going to remove the undercoat without damaging the outer coat. Plus a double layered rake is less then half the cost of a furminator.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Clifford`s Photos

Cliff was furminat-ed once, and afterward he had several mats in his fur that I had no choice but to cut out. It really didn't seem to do much for his shedding. His rake does the job wonderfully, and it isn't even a double rake. The slicker we have becase of the long haired Chihuahua doesn't seem to do much of anything except collect a bit of fur.

It's always nice to be able to agree with the expert...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    Cliff was furminat-ed once, and afterward he had several mats in his fur that I had no choice but to cut out.
    Those mats were probably caused from the furminator cutting the hair as it's job really is to thin the coat out. Since it cuts as it works it changed the coat texture which can lead to matting because, once the texture is changed you have to brush even more to up keep it. It really is a headache. It's like shaving a double coated dog it changes the texture of the coat which in the long haul means more work for the owner. Unfortunately lots of groomers don't like to tell people that.

Young Dawg (Member) ToshaPyrMom's Avatar

ToshaPyrMom`s Photos

I used to use on a couple of rescue adult pyrs that I had at the time... But only used it on their backsides to prevent "pyr fuzzy butt syndrome" lol

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ecfinn's Avatar

Go with this undercoat rake. Works great and won't break the bank. I've had it for a while and wouldn't brush our pyr without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Professi...rake+undercoat

Eric

Hello everyone!

Quick question:

I notice that there are two types of undercoat rakes:

One that looks kinda like a garden rake:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Evolution-W6110...undercoat+rake

And then the Oster one that Eric posted above. I've seen great reviews on this one, but when I went to the store to take a closer look...it looks like the rounded-curled-over blade is actually sharpened on the inside of the curve. Does this cut the hair as well?

Tsuni - which is the one you recommend?

Thanks for your input!