Thread: Overshot mouth?

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Overshot mouth?

I am pet sitting a Pyr and noticed he has a hard time taking treats from my hand. Most of them fall to the ground. The owner told me to soak his kibble in water as he tends to choke on food. I found that odd. Well, I looked at his mouth and saw that his upper teeth really protrude a whole lot from the lower teeth. I looked in the internet and it sounds like he is perhaps overshot? Is this a defect? and can it cause eating to be painful so that he swallows the kibble? I wish I can take a picture and show how it looks. Is this normal for the breed? To me it looks pretty bad, luckily though his lower canines appear short, so I don't think they make contact with the roof of the mouth when closed. What problems does this type of mouth cause? can it play a role in his fearful behavior?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) TexasKat's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

TexasKat`s Photos

Please add a pic and describe the 'fearful' behavior.

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Neither an overbite nor an underbite is a desired trait; and thus, yes, technically either is a "defect" under breed standards. Over the holidays we picked up a stray pup and fostered her for a couple of weeks. She had a pretty obvious overbite, below is pic. You can see her lower jaw does not match up flush with her upper jaw, so there is definitely a gap between her upper front teeth and her lower front teeth. She had no trouble eating kibbles but occasionally had trouble picking up items or playing tug. As far as chewing, many dogs do not chew their kibbles, they just grab and swallow. My male is like that. Swallowing kibbles whole doesn't hurt them; a dog's system is designed to process chunks of food as predators usually rip and swallow when they eat.

I am thinking that the overbite wouldn't have anything to do with whatever fearful behavior you are talking about. But then I don't know if the overbite on your pyr is different than the pup's. The pup we found didn't have any fear issues. We were able to place that pup with a very nice family that also has a young male lab. She and her lab "brother" are thriving and their humans have never mentioned anything to us about her overbite giving her any issues.