Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) PeteVanDyke's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

PeteVanDyke`s Photos

Default "safe" rawhide alternative? suggestions?

Luna LOVES her rawhide chews, would spend hours on them. Based on the vet's recommendation and other sources I've looked at, regular rawhide isn't a good idea as it can end up in too-big pieces which aren't digestible as I understand it.

The "safe alternative" ones I've bought made out of dehydrated chicken seem great...but they are expensive and she goes through them in seconds.

Any ideas on alternatives? I've tried nylabone, elk antlers (she likes them but loses interest pretty quickly, even after soaking in chicken broth), and a variety of other "hard" chew toys.

Are the pressed-rawhide bones a safe alternative? If so, do they last? Any down-side to giving beef bones (I read a post on here about getting them from the butcher shop)

Thanks in advance

Pete/Luna

Old Dawg (Senior Member) odins mom's Avatar

odins mom`s Photos

I don't do beef bones unless i can get them organic and free of antibotics and growth hormones. I have a higher end almost wanna say pet boutique that brings in frozen organic bones for the dog owners. They use to be able to get nice size bison leg bones but now that company takes to much of the meat off of them so she no longer brings them in. But that is all i have ever used so thats all the help i can be to you.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Romanji's Avatar

Romanji`s Photos

Around last fall, we took Roman to the flea market and there was this local ranch farmer dude selling huge steer bones.. About a foot long, thick, meaty.

Best thing I bought for Roman as he is still dragging it around today and working on it.

I asked him the stupid question of is it MIC and he proudly declared nope. Told me two weeks ago the steer is still mooing. And he smoked the bone right where his farm is... Gave me his card and everything.

I am going back this summer to buy a couple more...

Roman loves his chews too don't get me wrong...
    But I like to give him choices of different things.

He also loves them deer bones after the family process their hunts. Looks like he killed someone all bloody and stuff.
    Eating them.
    Last edited by Romanji; 03-19-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: add
    Roman says... "I'm too Se><xy for my... so Se><xy it hurts... Cause I'm a model YKWIM?"

PeteVanDyke`s Photos

Stupid question...do the bones have to be smoked, or can I go to the local high-end "everything organic" supermarket and get a bone for her?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Lokis Mom's Avatar

Lokis Mom`s Photos

Without having a good local, straight off the beast bone supply, I usually get a package of neck bones for Loki for his evening chew (1 per night, usually ~4 to a pkg). They're meaty enough (I get the meatiest looking package), I can get them at the grocery store (Kroger) and I don't think the amount is significant in terms of hormones-antibiotic exposure. That said, I am always on the lookout for a good source for readily available, affordable "organic" ones. He also enjoys smoked pork hock bones (pork hock in black-eyed peas, it's a Southern thing, y'all lol), also from local gro.

PeteVanDyke`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Loki's Mom View Post
    Without having a good local, straight off the beast bone supply, I usually get a package of neck bones for Loki for his evening chew (1 per night, usually ~4 to a pkg). They're meaty enough (I get the meatiest looking package), I can get them at the grocery store (Kroger) and I don't think the amount is significant in terms of hormones-antibiotic exposure. That said, I am always on the lookout for a good source for readily available, affordable "organic" ones. He also enjoys smoked pork hock bones (pork hock in black-eyed peas, it's a Southern thing, y'all lol), also from local gro.

I picked up some great soup bones from Market Street (organic cow) for $1.09 a pound. Luna has been chomping for two hours, lol

Lokis Mom`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by PeteVanDyke View Post
    I picked up some great soup bones from Market Street (organic cow) for $1.09 a pound. Luna has been chomping for two hours, lol
    I will check that out! Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Romanji's Avatar

Romanji`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by PeteVanDyke View Post
    Stupid question...do the bones have to be smoked, or can I go to the local high-end "everything organic" supermarket and get a bone for her?
    Roman is used to raw bones too... Besides the smoked or sun baked bones.
    Roman says... "I'm too Se><xy for my... so Se><xy it hurts... Cause I'm a model YKWIM?"

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Clifford`s Photos

I've read about going directly to a butcher to ask for them- whether it be at your local grocery store or a privately owned shop, to ask for them.

A lot of the good stuff for dogs is likely thrown away. The big bones, organ meat, other things that also aren't relevant.

I've read to boil them at first to soften them a bit, so your dog can get used to them, but I honestly don't think every dog will need that. Clifford can go through two 7 in. rawhides in a few hours.

I've also read that cooking them makes them more liable to splintering, as they're dried out, so limit baking and whatnot.
    Make sure the bone isn't in small enough pieces for your furkid to put the entire thing in their mouth.

Choking hazard. I think we all secretly have giant three year old children.

Good luck on your bone hunt!

Lokis Mom`s Photos

I did ask at the meat counters at Kroger and Costco. Kroger pointed me to their vacuum-packed bones (neck bones, sectioned marrow bones) and Costco said that all their bones (and other stuff?) go into large containers that a commercial service then picks up and they aren't otherwise allowed to sell that as even their meat cuts have minimal bone (sorry Loki, no daily T-bone for you!). I will try to check out some smaller, private meat shops and see what they may offer. As well as Market Street that PVD recommended.